The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Relisten.com site might work better:

11/2/69 Grateful Dead

uzn007, bzfgt and latheofheaven like this.
  2. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

This is amazingly cool rare footage.

Jump to the 15th minute if you're inpatient.....

Peace, :righton:

Zafu

Crispy Rob, uzn007, trd and 4 others like this.
  3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Strange Looking...??? WTH do you mean Strange Looking! I NEVER post Strange Looking things! :mad:

[​IMG]

trd, bzfgt and notesofachord like this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You can still search posts from users that no longer show up with auto-complete suggestions as long as you enter their username with correct spelling (e.g. burtthomasward and it will give you his posts).

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  5. latheofheaven

Heh, no, thanks for the link. I am listening to it now. Is there ANY way possible to download that album from there?

Thanks!

bzfgt likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The jam you’re referring to in that Dark Star is a Feeling Groovy jam with a different approach to it. Sounds like the same chords at least (D -> A/C# -> G/B -> A, I believe without verifying it on an instrument). Interesting, I’ve never thought about it in much depth before and haven’t really waged any sort of in depth analysis of the tune and jam, but I recall the actual Feeling Groovy chord progression, in D, as D -> A/C# -> E/B -> A; which would have the same descending motion in the bass as the Groovy jam but is not the same progression. Oh well, I’m just going off of memory and a quick listen to that section of the Dark Star, I’ll have to make sure to revisit this later.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. latheofheaven

Thanks also mate! At least I can hear it now, although I would love to be able to download it :)

bzfgt likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

Ah, I can download the m3u file which somehow magically opens all the songs in Winamp. I THINK I can then render them from there...

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Technically, the Grateful Dead soundboard recordings are bootlegs, so it’s remarkable that we’re even able to legally stream them.

sami and latheofheaven like this.
  10. latheofheaven

Yep, got it, thanks! Just right-clicked the songs in Winamp and selected 'Send to' file converter and chose Lossless FLAC :)

bzfgt likes this.
  11. latheofheaven

Here is the folder I made:

Grateful Dead 1969-11-02 Family Dog at the Great Highway, San Francisco, CA FLAC-VBR

(is that really the name of the place...?)

These are the songs I snagged:

[​IMG]

sami, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  12. latheofheaven

Actually, after reading the reviews below, I went back and chose the earlier Miller recording since it does not have the distortion at about 5 minutes into Dark Star :)

the second one ‘miller 32350’ (uploaded 2008)

bzfgt likes this.
  13. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Upon further consideration, for those "inpatient" please forward to 21:40 BUT don't get weird. The next footage is of morning dew, though in B&W. Yum

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm not able to listen tonight, but I know that in late 69 and throughout 70 they frequently played what I call the '1970 Dark Star theme,' even though that's not that good of a description of it, it's definitely some variation of the chords and it's a consistent thing that Weir plays.

Listen to 9-19-70 does it show up there at some point after the post-verse space? IIRC it turns up occasionally in the 72-74 era too.

budwhite, sami and bzfgt like this.
  15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, that's the name of it. The Family Dog were promoters at the Avalon until it closed in April of 1969, so they moved out to the Great Highway and promoted shows out there for a couple of years.

Jerry's Brokendown Palaces: Family Dog On The Great Highway, 660 Great Highway, San Francisco, CA

That site really does a brilliant job on a lot of the venues, an amazing amount of research and detail he puts in.

Crispy Rob, uzn007, sami and 4 others like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Now listening to "Death Don't Have no Mercy," 1969-11-08...outrageous version!

17. bzfgt

Huh, I entered "Burt" and all I got was a user named "Burt," I didn't realize that if it doesn't auto-complete it might still be there, but you appear to be correct...

18. bzfgt

If you have Chrome, and you don't mind Mp3, google Grateful Grabber.

If you prefer FLAC, google Lossless Legs and see if you can join. If you do not succeed, keep trying. If you do succeed, click "torrents" and then enter the following in the search box:

gd1969-11-02

Of the results, choose the Charlie Miller version (3 seeds which should be adequate).

If you fail to join Lossless Legs and do not want to settle for MP3, PM me and I will send you the files.

EDIT: I guess I should read the whole page before replying...what is winamp?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    latheofheaven likes this.
  19. bzfgt

Yeah, one theory I had was that it's a slowed down FG but there did seem to be something different about it....

20. bzfgt

I'm not playing 9-19 right now, but I'm pretty sure from your post that is a different thing....

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. bzfgt

Weir doesn't exactly do a bad job with "Seasons of my Heart," but I can't help but hear a step down from George Jones to Bob Weir....seems like a different league altogether

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dude, do you sleep?

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You don’t need to join bt at etree in order to download from it; it has almost everything LL has (they are trying to share everything GD related)

24. bzfgt

Good call, I forgot about that one. It seems like things are usually seeded there for a long while...

latheofheaven likes this.
  25. bzfgt

At odd times on weekends, sometimes