The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The TCD 910 and the 3014A probably shared many common parts ...

jusbe likes this.
  2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

... which are still lovely to this day,

[​IMG]

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

That's the sort of stylin' my decks had. I got the TCD 300 in 1972 new and I bought the 330 lightly used sometime in the latter 70's. The 300 was a little plainer and only had 2 heads but it's dual capstans made it sound rock solid with Type 1 tape which it was biased for, no adjustments....despite having a Chromium tape switch. The 330 sounded best with Metal Tape. I still miss those decks. The tape heads were high performance but soft and needed changing every few years and after Tandberg went bankrupt and then came back, I couldn't get new heads for them.

jusbe likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I owned a Dragon for years and loved it. I didn't record so the NAAC made it the perfect deck for me. Cheap pre-recorded cassettes are plentiful and the Dragon makes them sound great.

jusbe and macster like this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That's a beauty! I have one of these too, but in silver. I much prefer this model in black.

jusbe likes this.
  6. coopmv

Anyone who hears about a new preamp that has tape loops, please post here ...

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't like the door oriented that way, and the "footers"...

8. coopmv

I will take a Tandberg cassette deck over most other decks anytime except my Naks ...

jusbe likes this.
  9. Rachael Bee

The doors work just fine like that. The older models I had did not have those footers. You could use them upright or laying on their back. I wonder if those footers are removable?

10. coopmv

They are. I have them on my TCD 330 ...

jusbe likes this.
  11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I'm sure it's an exceptional deck. My Denon DRS-810 makes great recordings (when I use it...) Will probably be my last deck, as I don't "do" tape much.

jusbe likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

I got my 330 used and without the footers. The 300 never had footers unless they were optional and I didn't get them. I remember the 300 better because it ended up lasting longer.

jusbe likes this.
  13. coopmv

The footers only add stability to the deck so it does not tip over ...

jusbe likes this.
  14. macster

macster Forum Resident

Wyred4Sound may be able to configure it for you. They did two on my STI 1000.

M~

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Gotta be either the Nakamichi 1000 ZXL or the Studer A721.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the greatest one ever produced for me was my JVC KD V6...I loved that machine...made a ton of mix tapes on that.

17. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

impossible to pick - would need to at minimum narrow down to a decade

as posed - too broad

best working deck for me? Nakamichi MR-1

Michael

18. coopmv

Did Wyred4Sound custom-build a preamp with tape loops for you? :confused:

I have heard of Wyred4Sound. The outfit built Class-D amps and DAC's.

19. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I just won't go through all 57 pages of this, but in case it hasn't been mentioned so far: Pioneer CT-07D. It even had coax in. Mine was getting a bit flaky, and I wound up giving it to my brother. He had it in top-notch shape pronto. Was it the best ever made? I cannot say, but certainly one of the better pieces of gear I have ever owned.

vwestlife likes this.
  20. macster

macster Forum Resident

On my STI they modified two of the four inputs to the tape monitor function. When I purchase the STI 1000 V2 next year this is the configuration that I request:
    1. Input 1 (balance) will serve as my phono amp input
    2. Input 2 will monitor input 1
    3. Input 3 no change
    4. Input 4 no change
    5. Input 5 will monitor input 4
    This is a link to another manufacturer of integrated amp which has a tape monitor function. My goal would be to get a used or reboxed one though, if I ever get :rolleyes: the desire to get back into tubes.

M~

21. coopmv

So that STI is a preamp made by Wyred4Sound? I am not familiar with the company. To be sure, I can always go for another vintage preamp and I already own a few with tape loops. New features on most production preamps such as a built-in DAC I can do without since I am better off using an external DAC. I would rather try the new and improved Class D amp for maintenance free enjoyment ...

22. coopmv

An audio buddy of mine has two of these Tandberg TCD 440A and I suppose he will sell one to me if I make him a good offer ... :agree:

jusbe likes this.
  23. macster

macster Forum Resident

1. Yes
    2. I like their products which I purchased without listening too. My CJ PV5 was beyond repair according to CJ :rolleyes: which pi** me off. But all is well.
    M~

24. coopmv

My 2 CJ amps are fine and I have owned both for about 15 years ...

I am sure the Wyred4Sound amps are a bit less expensive.

25. XiaoDe

XiaoDe Member

Dears,

while searching the web for a nice tape deck I stumbled over this great form. I wasn't actually reading all of the 57 pages, but most of them and the discussions here helped a lot. What I discovered in the discussion - here and in other forums - is that some people are using one deck for recording but prefer others for listening.

So, may I join this discussion as someone who is not really experienced with tape decks but very much interested in finding a really good player, just for listening... what would be your recommendations for the best sounding "*simple tape deck"? And does it even make sense to buy a deck only for listening pre-recorded tapes that are available on the market?

*i would prefer a rather simple deck with great sound, as I only need it "to play"; would avoid an overly complex machine that needs more (and more expensive) service

jusbe likes this.