The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That shows some promise. Pete's too low in the mix there.

Beginning of The Real Me sounds pretty good! They should have just let it roll.

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Listen to this clip from MSG and you will hear Button play bass riffs where they should be.

The Real Me

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What more could you ask for.

Roger sounds fantastic

Pete is playing electric !

4. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I'm beyond excited for this album. Though I'd be the same for virtually anything they release including Pete's Incessant Noodling Vol. Infinity

The shows are interesting, good and pretty daring. And indeed each one lives and dies on the strength of the orchestra, venue, sound man, techs and full integration of all involved.

5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

In a live stadium context, with marginal fidelity from somebody's smart phone...I'm liking BIG CIGAR better than HERO GROUND ZERO...but eventually when I get to hear the record, I think HERO will be better. It's a better song with more to it...CIGAR is more just blues with I am The Walrus or Pink Floyd style orchestra behind it....I think there are others I'm gonna like better..But I already like both tracks.

Ryan Lux and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I’m amazed that you’ve already drawn this conclusion

jethrowup likes this.
  7. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Wait till you hear "Beads On a String". It will blow you away! But the song which nobody has mentioned yet called "Doesn't Exist" is the best on the album and is sure to win 10 Grammy awards in 2020.

8. johnny moondog 909

Wait a second ??? You've heard it ??? OK interrogation starts now..

I heard a few fragments of Beads on A string during a Couple of Pete's album blogs...not much...give us the poop er scoop on DOESN'T EXIST....which one is that ? What kind of song is it...which one is Simon's tune ??

Which tune is Zak Doing the padded mallets on the kick drum, like early WHO Keith moon.....& in the Vlogs when Pete picks out the melody line on the Rickenbacker 12 string which one is that..AND how many tracks total.....on the album....is there bonus material....And describe Beads on a string...

Ok start talking so we dont have to get rough with yous,,, you can scream in this basement no one can hear, it's just farmlands for 6 miles in every direction..start talkin

What's the album called & is Sand on the album, will there be bonus

YOU ARE SAYING YOU HEARD THE ALBUM ?

jlf, jethrowup and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Smokin clip from MSG

Get out and see them while you still can !

10. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The best post-Moon shows for me were Oakland 1982 (the only guitar smash I've had the privilege of seeing) and the 2000 tour gigs in SoCal. Those shows at the Bowl, Irvine and San Diego were great--Pete was in a good mood, lots of funny banter, and playing really well. That's also when he was posting regular video diaries, which was very cool indeed. (Of course, John was still around then too...)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Billy_Sunday, davers and slipkid like this.
  11. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

johnny, I was going to make some snarky remark, but your enthusiasm and love for the band is just too pure.

@jethrowup is good-naturedly ****ing with you.

Billy_Sunday, Davido, davers and 2 others like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

You mentioned the 5 man band 2000 Tour. I saw Pete smash a Strat in 2000 at Jones Beach . Pete said Jones Beach is his favorite place to play. I also saw him play there solo in 1993 and he smashed an Acoustic. No smash at the beach shows in 2002 or 2006. However, I still hold out hope that next week ( my 5th show)at the beach, there will be a 3rd smash under my belt -;)

davers, slipkid and J_D__ like this.
  13. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

It was a joke!!!

Simon's song's title was already mentioned by either Pete or Roger a couple months--I cannot remember what it was. It was "Breaking Up" or "Breaking Things" or something like that. Somebody else here will either remember or be able to direct us to the interview!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

One month and two days until I see the TWO! :D

Billy_Sunday and reb like this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That 2000 tour was killer. Even without Moon they hit that vibe for me of the real thing. Dangerous. Exciting. Dynamic. Wonderful. WHO!

Seeing them from about the 5th or 6th row (or whatever it was) didn't hurt either. I ended up collecting every show from that tour (this was b4 the Encore Live series came out in 2002 & beyond) and got endless enjoyment from "going" to all those shows.

16. captainsolo

The 2000 shows were the new run of energy through the band and the easiest document to pull from is the RAH set excepting the guest vocalists.
    Maybe I'm weird but I also loved the 2006 shows where they would really open up during the new songs like "Real Good Looking Boy" and "Tea and Theatre" in addition to the Endless Wire material-and occasionally you'd get some deeper tracks. Those shows just felt more intimate and not so much the "play the hits" shows.

17. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I found 2000 and 2006 at MSG both high energy shows with lots of songs I’d never seen performed before. 2002 right after John’s death was, in general, a bummer.

19. captainsolo

I don't see how they made it through the '02 shows. The RAH set has a bonus CD with part of John's last show where it still sounds great.

J_D__, Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  20. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The 2004 MSG show was also very good. It was the first time hearing "Real Good Looking Boy" played live. And from what I remember, future reditions just never quite rocked liked that intial night.

davers and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. johnny moondog 909

Oh you ! You got me !!! But right before your meaculpa, Zeppo 1 clued me in...hardee har har !!! I totally missed it....wasn't looking for jokes, too intent on thinking I was getting the info !!@ cause I really do want to know all that stuff, that stuff interests me more than most things..

And yeah I know how to find those Daltrey remarks about Simon's tune, I remember Daltrey telling the story now..about it..

I'll make a couple predictions, based on nothing but guessing & possibly intuition...I'm thinking "SAND" didin't make the final cut..Guessing possibly didin't want to sing that one...Guessing maybe Townshend cooled towards it too..Because he was recently griping, about how he spends half his life singing songs he wrote by age 25 or before 30, & he really needed to record new songs....So as much as I love the demo & that 65-68 WHO Pop Art phase.. I'm doubtful...it made the cut...

As much as the WHO have been referencing Quadrophenia & Who's Next in recent comparison remarks, about what the new album is like...I hope that vlog with 12 string Rickenbacker & Zak hitting kick drum with padded mallets,,,like a faux tympani...I hope tee will be a couple tracks that hark way way back to the 65-68 Pop Art phase...though without Entwistle & Moon..could they even sound like that now ? In their 70s..

jethrowup likes this.
  22. davers

davers Forum Resident

Was 2004 MSG a special one-off show? I'm thinking they didn't do a full blown US tour that year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

What songs do we know now, for sure?

Street Song
    Detour
    Beads On A String
    Hero Ground Zero
    Big Cigars
    "Glorious Girl From the Past"
    Simon's song (can't remember the title)
    Sand (possibly)
    "fishing song" (possibly Beads On A String)

As for "Sand", Pete could just release the demo on a new Scoop collection.

24. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Nice to see them out on the boards, but I think that is the most sedate guitar playing I've ever seen from Pete---barely a bend in a string and if there was any feedback I missed it. As he says in the clip, ".....it's old age."

Quincy and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  25. johnny moondog 909

No idea what "Glorious Girl From The Past" is..I just vaguely remember Townshend mentioning that during the new album vlog period at spring......but I thought he was describing what one of the known songs storyline is. .didin't realize there was a song Glorious Girl

ANYWAY.....assuming your mostly correct...Break The News by the way-think that's title of Simon's tune...Anyway....I guess there are only 2-3 titles we dont know...do we know it's definitely 11 songs...so you listed 9....if you got 8 of 9 right, that's a maximum of 3 titles left..maybe less..

For no reason except fate or coincidence...I personally have 3 big projects I'm watching...which is rare because most bands I like are retired or have died...there is the new WHO album,,,,supposedly there is 1 new tune with 3 of the Beatles, & the other guy, the bass player Moulding from XTC released a 4 song EP last year...first solo work since leaving XTC..but apparently that group. Called TC&I broke up already !! OH and the 4th big release is the Abbey Road Beatles 50th box set....I want to hear all that...but clearly the big cheese is the WHO album ! An album of songs & they're all brand new ! With Pete & Roger...not the WHO of old but imo, with Pete Roger & Zak it is the WHO !!!! & a full album that sounds like them !!!

That's a lot of new stuff for me, I probably only buy 5-6 new albums a year now. .and 2 of them are probably just new copies 9f old stuff !!@ SO YES to New WHO !!!! Even if they gave the album a horrible title like ( cringe ) The WHO-Who....my God that's bad...but I'll take a good album & bad album title, over the reverse option everytime!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.