Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

The 1970 performance of Albatross is on Spotify. I just listened to that on my phone while listening to the Warehouse recording on my laptop. They are 100% the same performance. With that confirmed... Why omit the best performance of that set? "I've Got a Good Mind to Give Up Living" (AKA "All Over Again") from this show has long been considered one of the best Green performances ever recorded, and would be a selling point for the set.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

I suspect this was handled by people who didn't know the material at all and/or somewhat rushed. Claiming to have no idea what shows these are from, having several tracks completely mislabeled and/or misattributed, and making questionable decisions on which songs to keep vs which songs to leave off.

Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why do something by half?

footlooseman and DTK like this.
  3. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

I think the larger problem with the Green-era releases is the lack of care, and the repeated repackaging of the exact same recordings. This set is new (officially, at least), but with the mislabeling, questionable selection, and purported lack of info on easily identifyable shows, I can't help but feel that it suffers from that, too. It would be better as two 2-disc sets.

Agreed that the general lack of care for the Green material is infinitely more generous than what Kiln House - Heroes Are Hard to Find get. Kiln House likely has a wealth of recordings during and after, similar to the material on Vaudeville Years and Sho-biz Blues. (which are also oddly selected; why not have individual sets of the BBC recordings, the Then Play On outtakes, and the live 1970 recordings?)

4. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Exactly! The two monster renditions of IT TAKES TIME and ALL OVER AGAIN would have been the real selling points as they both were not played at the Boston shows.
    So, with these omissions, the track listing of the whole "1970" shebang looks EXACTLY like the bulk of the Jan. 30 and 31. 1970 Warehouse shows. Now, that and the equally incomplete 1968 Carousel shows make the entire set close to pointless (from my humble collector's POV). UGH & GRRR!

MAYBE, JUST MAYBE though 7. My Baby’s Sweet (Live) (Remastered) 1970 recording and 8. My Baby’s Gone (Live) (Remastered) 1970 recording are really just mistitled IT TAKES TIME and ALL OVER AGAIN.... (?)
    The 4 tracks listed as "demos" somehow smell like disguised BBC tracks to these nostrils... Phew, I guess I'm out and stick to my complete and not-no-noised collectorland copies... Sigh.

Travelin Man and BFisch like this.
  5. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Having had a grumpy no good very bad week, the bollocks that is this set has pissed me right off.

"The recently discovered recordings date from 1968 and 1970 and were discovered unlabelled in the US, so not much is known about them other than they have been authenticated by experts....."

That is about the biggest load of bollocks I have read this week, at least in relation to an archival release.
    Let's hope the band personnel aren't listed as Petra Blau, Donny Kirkwank, Jerry Marsden and two time Hall Of Famer Stevie Nicks.

Is this a major record company trying to get out of paying for the licence to use these tracks or are they really that ignorant about their artists careers ?
    I want to know, if these tapes are Carousel, New Orleans and if the 3 Live 1970 tracks are from 1968 French TV and the 4 demos are BBC, then their experts are clearly not capable of using youtube and need to be sent on an internet training course or forbidden from using the internet for their own safety.

6. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Good. I had started another thread on this topic today :doh: (imagine I had the scoop )
    The truth is that I think this release is excellent news so for me it is a purchase to seriously consider

jay.dee likes this.
  7. joeym3

joeym3 Forum Resident

Hopefully these will be upgrades from superior tape sources, we'll see. And hopefully we'll see more F Mac archive releases, including the Bob Welch era.

footlooseman likes this.
  8. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

9. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

This version is definitely from the Warehouse 1970.

10. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yep! At points, you can even hear the same music bleeding through that sounds like it was on the tape before it was dubbed over with The Mac.
    That occurs on several occasions on this tape (organ, trumpet...).

11. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

I always thought that was from a nearby show or something.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

As they are being so coy about the sources I kind of suspect they just downloaded his from a torrent tracker like any Joe has done for years with this material, and pirated the BBC stuff from official releases.
    If it's a nice package I will probably buy it anyway.

13. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

Even if that's the case, there's still no readon to act coy like they don't know what they're releasing.

DTK likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Except to muddy the waters in order avoid paying out to those with a financial stake in the material, which would possibly include Bill Graham's estate, Dinky Dawson, and Owsley's estate, and the BBC.

Dondy, footlooseman and BFisch like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, this is incredibly embarrassing for a major label. An 8-year old with internet access could have done a better job.

16. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

Also, I wonder if they're aware of the f-bombs in the Carousel shows... Not sure if that has any impact on non-US releases, though.

17. BFisch

BFisch Forum Resident

I just noticed my own typo, and apparently cannot go back and fix it. Irony.

DTK likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

:)

19. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Amazon US has the download version available for pre-order but didn't see CD or vinyl listed

20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I was looking forward to this until I went through this thread. Glad to have the info though!

21. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

22. basement discs

basement discs Forum Resident

Great news about this new set. Bad news about the delayed release, but on a related topic, does anyone know the story of the two 2CD sets "THE VAUDEVILLE YEARS of FLEETWOOD MAC 1968-1970" and "SHOW-BIZ BLUES" 1968-1970 Vol.2? Released by Receiver Records,containing lots of Then Play On outtakes and sessions and rare live recordings from that period, all sounding fabulous and both are extremely well packaged. I've often wondered whether the tapes had been 'kept' by a disgruntled former manager or the like? A puzzlement.

albabe likes this.
  23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Maybe the delay is because somebody told 'em to go back and do some homework.

jay.dee, Dondy and LSP2003 like this.
  24. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Wishful thinking, mate - the band didn't play "Homework" on these shows!! :winkgrin:
    However, maybe the execs "Got a Good Mind to Give Up Screwing up", decided to do the set "All Over Again" and "It Takes Time" to do that properly. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

human riff 999, tdcrjeff and jay.dee like this.
  25. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident