Musicians who desperately need a comprehensive box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crestfallen, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Beck - not even a greatest hits comp so far.

2. Yes! I have the 5 disc set and it’s great. Knowing that there was a possibility of a mega box (From the Shadows) is what prompted me to include them on my list

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Queen. They need better dedicated box sets than the News Of The World one from a few years ago. The live album box sets are great though.

Runicen and Tim 2 like this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Jackson Browne and some live stuff with Daivd Lindley - complete show or 2 would be nice as well.

BourbonAndVinyl, Paul J, Bern and 3 others like this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Absolutely!
    There's plenty of stuff out there that's unofficial that we've heard.
    Imagine the stuff out there we havn't!
    The guy deserves his own set.

oldsurferdude and Cookie! like this.
  6. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

after all these years and with the successful "reunion", and represses of records.....i'm still surprised they never tried to compile and release all the pre-godweensatan material. also, a second shinola. seems like such any easy cash in for them; and the fans for that matter.

youngchoulin and Scope J like this.
  7. Bulletin31

Bulletin31 Well-Known Member

The complete work of the wrecking crew! Impossible I know but it’s a nice thought. Failing that, the complete gold star studios recordings.

NudieSuitNezHead and majorlance like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Well, they did already have Bonfire and Backtracks.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Musicians who desperately need a comprehensive box set

Bonfire wasn't even comprehensive to Bon Scott material.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Definitely. Far too many best of sets and comps that need to be looked at and compiled intelligently, although how big an audience is there for that deep of a dive?
    The complete RCA/Groove, complete Smash Sessions and the Sun Years box are all excellent looks at specific points in his career and are must haves in my opinion.
    And oh, what I would give for the tapes of his gig at Max's Kansas City, if they exist at all.

I think Television would be a good bet if that comprehensive set was made up of live material only. Lots of hair raising stuff out there.

Michael D and RSteven like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some would argue that the Bon Scott material is all you need.

500Homeruns and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

They really need to re-release the original Australian albums. I'm not sure the Australian Albums ever received a correct cd release.
    A box set of the original albums on cd and actually correct and well mastered would be cool

sound chaser and 500Homeruns like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

AC/DC - Boom Box

15. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

NEIL INNES!

SOLO
    1. How Sweet To Be An Idiot, 1973
    2. Taking Off, 1977
    3. The Innes Book Of Records, 1979
    4. Off The Record, 1982
    GRIMMS
    1. Grimms, 1973
    2. Rockin' Duck, 1973
    3. Sleepers, 1976
    THE RUTLES
    1. The Rutles, 1978
    2. Archaeology, 1996
    MISC
    1. The World - Lucky Planet, 1970
    2. The Rutland Weekend Songbook, 1976
    3. Erik The Viking OST, 1989
    4. Re-Cycled Vinyl Blues (Misc singles, Python-related work, Rutles demos, unreleased gems, etc)
    5. DVD set of The Innes Book of Records TV Series
    A fair few of these tracks have bee reissued as part of his 'Recollections' sets, but there are lots of tracks that aren't covered or only presented as poorly mastered needle-drops. I'm sure there are more releases here that I'm not thinking of, as Neil's been very prolific over the years.

KaBluie and Edotl like this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I'd settle for a CD single of Dragonfly / Purple Dancer

Greg Gee likes this.
  17. thefxc

thefxc Forum Resident

4AD's recently released comprehensive sets of two Wolfgang Press precursors, Rema Rema and In Camera. I have to think they're warming up for a WP set; they're (IIRC, and excluding one-offs) the last original 4AD band that hasn't had some kind of reissue program or box set. And they have a fair amount of stuff that never made it to CD.

Xmal needs both their 4AD and their Polydor stuff collected. Their post-4AD work goes for ridiculous prices, especially on CD.

18. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

What is wrong with Sex America Cheap Trick? Other than ending at 1996....

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

That's a compilation, not a comprehensive box set.

20. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

The Fixx

mwood and davers like this.
  21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

22. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Just tune into a rock radio station from here in Michigan. If Seger releases audio of him in a sneezing jag, WCSX will have a whole weekend dedicated to him.

23. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Another vote for The Ventures

and Bear Family needs to do it. It would likely be split in to at least three boxes - The Fender Years, The Mosrite Years, and a box or two of what followed.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  24. I would agree with Costello if he hadn’t released double albums of his albums through All This Useless Beauty. As it is, I don’t know what else EC would release from the vault aside from demos as rarities to attract fans.

Eno did have a pretty good box (like Costello) back in the day. I could see breaking up studio albums involving songs and his ambient/experimental works in separate boxes.

The big question is if this would attract the sales necessary and/or if it would be better to concentrate on specific boxes for specific albums.

I think it depends on the label. Andy Pearce has done some exceptional work for Universal/Polydor/EMI whatever else label they’ve acquired. Even Jon Astley has done s9me nice work for Tori Amos, The Who and others of late.

25. The Turtles album box that was released a couple of years back was pretty good even if it could have used a couple of discs for rarities and outtakes not included on each respective album.

Elton’s To Be Continued wasn’t bad as a taster but his b sides From the later years largely languish in oblivion so I’d rather have a comprehensive one of those myself.

That was going to be an essential purchase for me. It’s a pity the label couldn’t have just put it out there without his permission.

A Songs of Yesterday updated with new mastering and a couple more discs would have been welcomed if nothing else.

pokemaniacjunk likes this.