Fleetwood Mac / Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live & Demo Sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 2, 2019.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Whe? You can get all the contents free and semi-legally online or on other legal physical releases. There's nothing on this set that's not out there before. Its's doubtful that this is a legal release anyway, the live tapes weren't recorded by Sony.

2. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

crozcat likes this.
  3. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

^
    Thanks!
    As this set is also in the upcoming Before The Beginning, I´m interested in (eventually) finding it in the best possible sound quality.

LSP2003 likes this.
  4. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Both US and UK Amazon now showing Nov 15th date.

jay.dee likes this.
  5. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

6. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Normally I'd be all over the vinyl release for this. But $20 for the whole 68 & 70 sets on 5 cd's versus $47 f0r just vol. 1 of the vinyl and then waiting months for vol 2 and another $50 has me leaning strongly towards the cd's!

7. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

This is actually a 3 CD set and each volume of the vinyl is 3 records each.
    [​IMG]

8. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Ooops, yeah - 3 C's. Still a mjor price difference
    Ah, yes, of course. Had the upcoming Hendrix set on my head!

9. Warszawa

Warszawa Forum Resident

WTF?

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Good. Whoever produced this release was dishonest about the sources (discovered a stash of tapes yeah right), and all the material is freely available elsewhere. Useless release.

mpayan likes this.
  11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, I hope it gets re-scheduled in an improved form.

12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

14. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

15. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

At first when I saw this, I thought it would be another grey-area cheapo that uses the digital sources shared for free in the internet. I mean, look at the cover art. Can you count how many cheap compilations with the Blue Horizon-era or Boston recordings you have seen with that same image on the cover?
    Also the track listing with the recordings being the ones that have circulated for years doesn't really help. I think I want to check this box set out for only one reason, and that is to check if the music stays in sync with the files that have circulated for ages. I mean, that would mean that the set was mastered from the very same files, and there were no "recently found unlabeled tapes", but not-so-recently circulated well-labeled flac-files...
    After the nonsense about unknown sources this wouldn't surprise me at all.
    And not to forget the 1970 recordings will soon turn 50, so I guess Sony needs to put them out quick to cash-in.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm convinced this is just stuff they downloaded from the net. Would like to be proved wrong, but unlikely.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Madison Blues and Albatros from Before The Beginning are up on streaming now.

I think this boot on youtube sounds better. Everything is pushed to the front on the two cuts off streaming I heard.

That youtube vid has some air around it and sounds more natural as far as the guitars.

Unless Amazon Music screwed up...this new set is most likely a pass from me.

LSP2003 likes this.
  18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I wouldn't trust lossy streams. Another upload of the same boot on YT sounds more similar:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RefL-8-ZJ10
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSHBCJT/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

In any case I have neither Carousel Ballroom '68 nor Warehouse '70, so I'll happily pick the official version over any euroboot.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

20. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Tjazz likes this.
  21. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy bootlegs, but I'm pretty sure that the boots have been made from the same sources than the official one will be, and that's the original file set, made from the tapes that were available and shared/traded for free.
    If the official set had the complete recordings from those nights, even if they were the same ones that have been available for years, and if they were presented without the "recently discovered unknown sources" B.S., I would be happy to buy this set.

Of course this time the band will get some royalties (although it's too late for Danny, who really shines on the New Orleans recordings), and so will Sony, but not the people who recorded the tapes (was New Orleans recorded by Bear?) discovered the tapes, made the transfers etc., and made it possible that we are lucky to hear these recordings.

I'm really sorry about my cynical tone, but I just feel there could have been a lot better product for the fans.

mpayan likes this.
  22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I get your point, but until that happens the only option I will have is to choose between Before the Beginning 1968-1970 and, say, Transmission Impossible 60s & 70s. Given such alternative I'll always pick the former.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

overall DR 8 is a bit worse than disappointing. Bear recorded 3 nights at the Warehouse; I don't know if these are excerpts or just one night, but it's certainly too bad those recordings weren't released through his family's foundation, as were the Allman Brothers, Big Brother, Hot Tuna etc.

24. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The mixes here are different. Narrowed and perhaps muddier than what's previously been posted online.

mpayan likes this.
  25. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

I think this box set has songs from at least two nights at the Warehouse, and I guess they are January 30th and 31st. The previously circulated soundboards have quite different mix between those two, the other being super wide with drums, bass and one guitar on right and vocals and the other guitar on the left (iirc), so it's possible that it has been narrowed a lot in the mastering. The other night (from which the magnificent All Over Again is from) had a better mix.