'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ugh I hate you guys for selling me on hustlin. One second I’m getting groceries coffee meat at butcher and voila I’m picking it up at the record store

2. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Hustlin is my first TP where I own an original copy. Are you guys keeping or selling your originals if you have any? I know the TPs will sound better, which is probably what I'd reach for over the original if I got it.

scotti likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I think it would depend on what you could auction for it. I mean if it’s like a Mobley 1568 OG for $1000 plus but if it’s just in the $100 range might be fine just keeping it.

4. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Yeah, fair point. I hate double dipping on titles, and would rather just sell it to not have duplicates and the best sounding copy. I stopped trying to find original blue notes the minute the needle dropped on my first MM title because they sounds soooo much better at almost always a lower price tag.

scotti and recstar24 like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I decided to cap the night off taking Hustlin' for another listen before I get ready to watch "The Big Clock" coming on at midnight, (I love my film Noir and what a classic!) Incredible sound is all I can say. Did Joe and Kevin inject the SRX formula into this one and "Chant" without making them transparent! 10/25 can't get here soon enough, these new Tone Poets have just amazed, this is really getting fun, and then we are set for 2020 and beyond, what an amazing time to be a lover of Jazz, and just killer sounding music!

Joti Cover and Marko K like this.
  6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The other day, I got the Tone Poet pressing of Introducing Kenny Burrell from Amazon Canada for around $33 CAD and is free of any defects. Not to mention that it sounded absolutely fantastic.

7. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

Andrew Hill's Smokestack is scheduled for April next year in the BN80 series :shake:

Kimiimacman and patient_ot like this.
  8. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

I had a NY mono of Smokestack for awhile and it sounded great but the two bass thing made the affair a bit murky in end for me. Maybe a stereo presentation would provide some aural space - hopefully the BN 80 will not suffer from these warbles!

patient_ot likes this.
  9. StevenTounsand

Tape Speed Issues - Tone Poet/BN 80th LPs

Have at it guys! It’s been live for a week or so...
    I understand how some might not want to see the brutal process of coming to a consensus about a quality issue of a beloved product.

Crazysteve and hutlock like this.
  10. is there a possibility to include Wayne Shorter's Supernova for the TonePoet 2020?? streaming it now, its sooooo good.. @Joe Harley

IanL and AFA like this.
  11. StevenTounsand

Thanks Recstar - I always appreciate your take on things here and in response to Greenmonster I agree the technical discussion is tedious, esp. seeing that it affects BN80th lps too. So I started a thread just for that topic:

Tape Speed Issues - Tone Poet/BN 80th LPs

recstar24 likes this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

In hopes of putting this to rest. Kevin Gray says:

“Scotch (3M) 111 was the very first U.S. recording tape formulation produced in quantity in the U.S. It was released in 1948 and was about all there was in the U.S. until 1964. About 90 percent of the recordings I master from that period are recorded on 111. All the RVG Blue Notes from that period are on 111. It is a red/orange iron oxide basically glued to clear acetate. It bears no resemblance to modern tape.

“Acetate is very unstable over time. It becomes extremely brittle. You can pull on it slightly and it breaks. This tape never wound totally smooth on the reel, but that has also gotten much much worse over time.

“The biggest problem occurs when the tape was wound off at high speed, as opposed to being played though. This might occur when a tape was perhaps wound to the head to copy one song. Then the rest of the tape is wound off in “Fast Forward”. The result is that the tape cinches slightly and if left that way develops a permanent curl or ruffle. This is very common on 111. Once this has happened the tape does not wrap smoothly over the playback head and tends to wander slightly. This is clearly visible as the video shows. Another problem is that NONE of the recorders from the 50s and early 60s had constant tape tension, which all modern tape recorders have. The tension would be higher at the end of the reel than the beginning. This also took a toll on tape.

“The 2nd generation 3M tape was Scotch 201. Although the oxide changed (dark brown), the base was still acetate, and the same problems exist. Around 1965, 202 was released, which was on modern mylar/polyester. But RVG used both 111 and 201 for several more years.

“So the tape wandering over the heads as opposed to staying flat does introduce speed anomalies. How could it not? And it isn’t consistent from tape to tape. Some wind smoother than others. Fast winding, as mentioned before, things like temperature and humidity in storage, and age have taken a toll.

“There are other factors effecting speed, such as sticking splices. The adhesive in the splicing tape oozes with age. It can’t be cleaned off very effectively because of the brittleness of the tape.”

13. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

It looks like distribution issues to mom-and-pop stores have hit this latest 9/6 release. I'm wondering if that's why we have so few reviews so far...

Waterloo Records and End of an Ear in Austin only received 2 copies of each title despite a much larger order and sold out instantly except for EOAN which has 1 Stanley Turrentine Hustlin' in stock. It took me 3 weeks to get the Grant Green BN80 for the same new distributor's issue. (Perhaps someone can relink to the article about the new large distributor and all of the pain points...)

Despite my love for my local record stores, I'll be placing my first TP and/or BN80 order tonight to Music Direct who seem to get dozens upon dozens of each title on the release date. /Rant...

Happy Sunday jazz fans! :)

bluejimbop likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

For the record, Kevin's quote about Scotch tape came to me via Joe, not directly from Kevin. In case that was unclear.

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

16. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Mine are still on Pre-order. Have you listened yet?? I need to know of they're part fo JH and KG's grand Tone Poet conspiracy

Aeryn Sun, Mazzy and birchstick like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have been enjoying the Clubhouse more and more despite the piano being a little wacko. This is an amazing album, one of Dexter Gordon's best IMO. His playing on “I am a Fool to Want You” is so powerful, every note is so emotionally meaningful that it brought tears in my eyes. Wow!

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I could use a copy of this and would like to know more when you get the chance. Is the record pressed off-center, or does it seem like a tape issue? Let me know whenever you can.

19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

20. Dr John's piano playing always sound like it is warbling :tiphat: Such a night!

21. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Chant, Hustlin' & Alligator Bogaloo arrive this week.

Even better info is I've got a Dynavector DRT XV 1s on the way as well to play them on. We gonna be enjoying some good ear candy here soon!

SJR, bluemooze, Fender Relic and 4 others like this.
  22. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

How about this for a change of subject: I missed out on the Music Matters for a variety of reasons but mainly because of the cost. I just picked up Et Cetera, the Chick, Burrell and Lou Donalson and am blown away by the quality of this release. I had heard none of these albums before so bought them blind (with a little streaming here and there) and don't regret a thing. Any jazz lover or audiophile will get something out of these albums. For under $30 a piece, they're a no brainer.

Dai, Crispy Rob, Tuck1977 and 12 others like this.
  23. So, I do not have Chant yet. But I notice Byrd is not credited on "Sophisticated Lady". Is it common for the leader to not play on a track on his album? I'm not sure I've seen that before

Dai likes this.
  24. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

It isn’t common, but it happens.

Pepper Adams does a great job on this song. Plus, RVG placed him in the left channel where Byrd was for the rest of the songs.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.