Alright, CD players, let's see what we can agree on.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man Thread Starter

Hey there everybody.

One last component I'm going to need to round off my system is a good CD player. I'm again overwhelmed by the oversaturation of the market and could use some help finding one that's right for me.

I'm not looking to spend over $1000

As far as options I'd be okay with a standalone, if there is something rock solid and great sounding with more options, that's cool too.

I was looking at the Marantz CD6006

But the reviews are kind of split down the middle.

What do you guys think?

Carlox likes this.
  2. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Simple, find an Oppo 103/105 or a 203. 205 out of your price range.

3. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I'm not sure my CD player has any opinions on anything! ;¬)

4. PinkIsTheSky

Well dont we have a sense of humor!

Ya know, I just figured who better to ask than the source themselves?

5. PinkIsTheSky

Really? With the whole kit en' caboodle?

6. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I just asked mine. It says it's not good at multitasking, and it'll get back to me when it's finished spinning C'mon by Low.

7. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Have not heard this but it sounds like an interesting player. Emotiva ERC4. I have the 3, some have an issue with the transport making noise, there is a slight whirring, but I never hear when listening as my cabinet doors are closed when listening. The 4 has more features and supposedly the whirring issue is gone. $600 factory 30 day risk free trial. Best of all, well within your budget.

Dave’s Faves - Emotiva ERC-4 - Audio Emporium

8. PinkIsTheSky

That looks really nice, what do you think about the lack of SACD tech?

Or better, what do you think of SACDs? I dont know much about them

9. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

The Oppo “3” series units aren’t ideal for 2 channel audio playback (I have an 83 and 203). He’d be better off with a dedicated audio player, like the Marantz.

F1nut, hi_watt, Guildx500 and 4 others like this.
  10. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Why not something like a Tascam cd200 and a DAC? I have the Tascam and a Bifrost Multibit. Great combo and when the Tascam dies, as all drives do, it’s relatively inexpensive to replace and you still have a good DAC.

Scratcha, SimonSaysCake, Ezd and 4 others like this.
  11. PinkIsTheSky

Well I'm getting the Parasound P6 which apparently has a pretty decent DAC so I'm not too worried on that end.

I'm really looking for a product that will last.

Vinny123 likes this.
  12. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I'm not sure what kind of general consensus you're hoping to find - brand/model, or just the fact that a CD player is still the way to go?

A while ago, I bought a Yamaha SACD/DVD player, because it had great ratings for it's audio (Burr Brown DAC) and it was like under $100, new. And it could do SACD (which I've never used). I decided to buy a separate DAC for it - a Musical Fidelity which while it doesn't say, I believe also uses Burr Brown chipset in it. Can I tell the difference? Haven't really compared, but I think the difference if any was slight. Just liked the idea, and future options for it.

If I were getting a new CD player today, the Marantz you mentioned would be on my list. As would some of the current NAD players. Denon has some new models out that look promising. And there are a lot of current Yamaha players for different price points I would check out too.

Used tends to be a riskier proposition (at least with mainstream models), but there might be some good options from CARY or others that were also DVD players, they used good audio components as well. There's another Marantz model that plays CD's but is also a streamer, might be just over $1k, but having a dual purpose would be interesting to me at least.

13. PinkIsTheSky

Yeah I guess I dont know what I was expecting consensus wise lol. I'm really just looking for some good opinions!

I wouldn't be opposed to a dual purpose model as long as the primary physical media components were top.

14. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

If you’re going to use the Parasound as a DAC, the Tascams are built like tanks. I’ve had mine for a couple of years, using it as a transport to my DAC w no issues . You could save around $700 on your budget. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.

15. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I have the same question..

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  16. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I would look for a CD player with the best warranty or at least the best reviews of longevity. I had a Rega Apollo that died twice in four years. IMHO, most CD players will need repair sooner rather than later.
    I own an Onkyo C-7030 I bought for $150.00 and if it goes it's not a big deal. And, it sounds good!

CBackley likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

I would say either stretch your budget to $1199 and get the Denon DCD1600NE

OR

Get the Denon DCD800NE for half your budget. From the specs, it appears CDs would sound the same as with the DCD-1600NE. It has the same exact DAC.

I own the Denon DCD1600NE and think it is a great unit. Prior to that, I tried the Marantz SA8005 (twice, both were defective), Cambridge 851C (didn't love the sound and it didn't do SACD), the Yamaha CDS-700 (4 times, all were defective) and the Yamaha CDS-300. The Yamaha CDS-300 is an incredibly reliable player, great value ($299), good sound too, just not as good as my Denon and not built as well either. Both of the Denons I mentioned are also more dynamic than the Yamaha CDS-300.

So, I say get one of the Denons. Warranty is one year parts and labor on both. More info on them here: Denon DCD-800NE and DCD-1600NE

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Marantz CD6006 is a killer CD player, and I would highly recommend it. That said, for context, my main format is vinyl and have a lot more invested in that front end. I still think the CD6006 hangs in there, especially for its price.

ClassicalCD, Carlox, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  19. PinkIsTheSky

I'm primarily a vinyl guy too and need to upgrade my turntable soon as now it always has this terrible hiss that can be heard through the records.

20. Sounds like you'd be better served by a CDT vs CDP so you can concentrate you're $ toward a solid & repairable unit. More than a few of the CDP's have transports that won't be repairable as the years go by. Sorry I can't recommend any specific products but I'd sure you know a LOT about the actual transport / laser, etc.

21. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Why not use an inexpensive CD player with the DAC of your choice? In my view, any CD player that’s not broken will give you a clean digital output to a DAC. The Marantz is a great player, but if it bites the dust, your out a player. A DAC May last forever, and you can use it for all your stereo digital devices.

Whoopycat, basie-fan and Vinny123 like this.
  22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

My Oppo handles 2 channel just fine on my system that I use for HT, high res and multi channel as well. However, I found an audible improvement in SQ between the 103 and 203 no doubt due in large part to the better DAC in the 203.

detroit muscle and The Pinhead like this.
  23. PinkIsTheSky

I'm looking at the 205 and it does look pretty sexy. I will need a good video player at some point as well, and I like the balanced outputs that's a nice touch.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Can't agree less. Got a 103D and it rocks. Sounds very much like a 5005 Marantz with way better mechanical reliability. Stumbled upon a NOS unit and pulled the trigger. I don't recommend purchasing used units unless you know the owner though.

25. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

That will cost more than $1000-a lot more. Great machine, I went and got one for future use during the Oppo offer. Currently using a 203.

Audiowannabee and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.