Alright, CD players, let's see what we can agree on.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You're not going to get any consensus. If I were you and wanted a CD player to play redbook discs, I would simply go to Accessories4Less and buy a refurb. It will have been gone over and any common issues with the model/brand should be sorted out. Buy the model/brand you are comfortable with. The most popular players are going to be Onkyo, Yamaha, or Marantz as far as this forum goes. Any of the current single disc players from those makes should please most people.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yamaha CD-300S. Reliable and good-sounding unit, with emphasis on reliable (not a frequent occurence these days; just reading the reviews for the more popular units will help you decide.

fogalu and George P like this.
  3. The Pinhead

What's wrong with the kit ? Nice Q accessories are always welcome. Pity the HDMI cable supplied is too short and I can't use it.

4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I just reported in another thread of how the Rega Apollo turned out to have too much jitter for my Schiit Gungnir MB to process the datastream the preferred way. I was bummed by that since I really like the top loading ergonomics and I've been happy with the Apollo's performance overall. I switched to my Pioneer DV79avi (a 10 year old multi-disc player CD, SACD, DVD-A) there were no issues with jitter and the sonics equaled that of the ripped file playback. I also have the Onkyo C-7030 in a bedroom system and like it a lot. Note thought hat the newest models do not have the Wolfson DAC that made it a favorite around here.

ALAN SICHERMAN and basie-fan like this.
  5. Pipedream

Pipedream New Member

Can you say Bryston CD player ? DCS as well. I am a dedicated transport DAC person. Using Aqua Formulax HD DAC and La Diva transport connectined with Ethernet cable.

charles

6. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

I've had good luck with a Yamaha BD-A1040 CD/SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-A (per reviews)/HDCD It's been replaced by the BD-A1060, w/XLR out for L &R & plays same formats as previous model.
    I've been enjoying recent purchase of the SACD of Jorma Kaukonen's 'Blue Country Heart' This SACD keeps getting Better & Better!
    I play CDs & SACDs with the Pure Direct mode on both the BD-A1040 & my Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1050. The SQ is noticeably "different" when Pure Direct is engaged.
    Jeff Beck - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's .... three audio options: LPCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS HD Master Audio in 7.1 is sublime, though I do get upset with the tinkling glasses @ tables surrounding mine.

7. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

My 203 was called into duty when I was having my Yamaha cdp repaired. While it sounded okay, it was noticeably less engaging than the Yammie. I ended up not even listening to music until I got the repaired unit back.

George P likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

Your Yamaha is a much higher-end unit; not a fair comparison. The Yamaha retails for 3K ! whereas a NOS 203 is under 2K. Apples to oranges. The Oppo will beat anything with the same price tag, and will throw in astonishing video and multiformat audio capabilities on top.

9. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

No question. But the Oppo “3s” are primarily intended as video players. I’m not sure it’s fair to a prospective buyer to suggest otherwise. Now, the 95/105/205 are a whole different story.

10. The Pinhead

They are more ¨universal digital players¨ than primarily video players. Their built-in DACs are outstanding. This said, the 205 (way in another league price-wise) has an unbeatable dedicated 2-channel section, but the 3s are no slouches, and I don't say it only because I own one (I'm not a fanboy) The 103 easily equals a 5005 Marantz. And those Marantz' skip and break like crazy, not to count the many lemons (failing or downright DOA units) reported extensively.

11. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man Thread Starter

That does worry me about the Marantz, the Oppo 205 is looking pretty nice, I wouldn't mind spending the money on it if it truly performed. I plan on doing some more research on it, but would love some first hand experience.

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Then a used Oppo 83/93/103 might be your best bet. These things run like the proverbial Timex watch commercials. And you can use the parasound's DAC.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. PinkIsTheSky

Is there a big change in sound from the 103 to the 205?

I am still open to other suggestions...

14. TarnishedEars

Only if you use their built-in DACs. If you send their digital outputs to your Parasound, then no.

Frankly, unless you plan to listen to the analog outputs of an Oppo, then the 5 series models offer no advantage over the 3 series models. And the 205s are WAY over your budget.

15. PinkIsTheSky

Hmm, so I just found out that Oppo is out of bizz, I am not sure I'd want to trust going into a company that doesn't exist anymore. Ya know as far as future repairs and warranties and such.

I wish the results of the Marantz wasn't so divided, although I would like something to play SACDs.

Vinny123 likes this.
  16. Sounds like some iteration of an I2S connection.

17. TarnishedEars

The odds are that a 5 year old Oppo will still be running just fine 10 years from now. I wouldn't make that same bet on a new Marantz.

18. PinkIsTheSky

Hmm, now that I know I wont be getting a 205 for new, I am looking at the 203 used. It's still a bit pricey, but again if its renowned for being a great sounding reliable unit, it may be the one for me.

19. TarnishedEars

Your best bang for the buck is either a used 105 or a used 95 if you want the to have the premium built-in ESS DACs. 203s are pretty pricey since they went out of production.

Don't get me wrong: I actually really like the sound (and the looks) of the better Marantz players! But Oppos have proven to be the most reliable SACD players ever made. It's a real shame that they aren't made anymore.

Litejazz53 and GLYNSTYLER like this.
  20. PinkIsTheSky

Ill have to keep that in mind, what about something like the Yamaha CD-S1000BL ?

21. TarnishedEars

I've not heard one, and I have no clue as to its longevity. But I have found the sound of Yamaha gear in general to often be a cut above most other mass-market gear (similar to Marantz in that regard).

22. PinkIsTheSky

Hmm, if you don't mind me asking, what player do you use?

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You hope:D:cheers:

24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have a Parasound Halo 2.1 Integrated which I believe uses the same DAC chip (ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018K2M) as the P6. Yes it is pretty decent, sounds very good, and is not bright or harsh as some people say the Sabres sound. However, it doesn't really sound as good as my phono rig, which has a Parasound JC3+ phono stage. Sometimes I wonder if I should try a CD player or a standalone DAC to see if I could get my digital chain to sound as great as my vinil chain. I thought about the Maranz but I'm not sure it would sound better than the Halo DAC.

25. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

I really would just say Onkyo and be done,7030 model. It's got decent low end,crystal clear highs,even myAtoll couldn't do,probably Atolls chip. I dont remember what it is.Dead quiet.No detachable power cord. But I kinda like that.seriouly Any way dont like sell it for a hundred.

MilesTrane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.