Little House on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 18, 2018.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I loved the christmas episod ethey had

j_rocker and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too...watch it every Christmas season...

j_rocker and jason88cubs like this.
  3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Should be something spoiled kids watch

Show them how back then they'd only get 1 or 2 gift sand they were very thankful

S. P. Honeybunch and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

I agree...but impossible.

5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Are the Blu-Ray episodes uncut/unedited?

Michael likes this.
  6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The Blu Rays are advertised (on the cover artwork) as "restored to broadcast length." Now I'm not certain if that means the original broadcast length, but I would presume so.

I picked up the first few seasons for my girlfriend a couple years ago and ended up watching some of the episodes. They looked spectacular, especially for 1970s television.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Charles "Pa" Ingalls - Was there anything that man couldn't do?

(And no, I'm not knocking the show... It just seemed that whatever situation or job came along, Charles had the skills and know-how...)

8. Grand_Ennui

Local TV stations have to show a certain amount of hours each week of educational programming: Several years ago, there was a local station that would show "Little House" to fulfill that obligation (when they aired the show, they had the E/I logo on the screen, E/I of course meaning "Educational/Informative").

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Lots of people I know can take pretty much any job. My dad is a mechanic. But he also built the house that I grew up in. It was great having a handyman as a dad when you where a kid.

Steve Litos and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Streaming on Amazon Prime now. Those Walnut Grove, California exteriors look great in HD.

11. Michael

yes...as far as I can see...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Michael

give her a shout for me...I am a fan.; )

MikeInFla and Holy Diver like this.
  13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just started watching on Amazon. This is one series the wife & I had been waiting on to be streaming.
    Almost bought the DVDs.

Darryl

jason88cubs likes this.
  14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Sean Penn (uncredited) in season one episode, The Voice of Tinker Jones.

[​IMG]

clhboa, 905, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

For those that have INSP:

The show will be gone from the lineup after September 13, and will be moving to UP TV.

Statement from INSP:

INSP Bids Farewell to the Ingalls Family.

Like you, we hate goodbyes, but sadly, we must say farewell to Little House on the Prairie on INSP.

Over the years, we loved living the adventures, heartbreaks, and sometimes, hilarious antics of the Ingalls family, their friends, and certain adversaries (Not mentioning any names, but you know who you are, curly-headed blonde girl!).

From Ma and Pa, Laura and Almanzo, to the incorrigible Nellie Olsen (There! We said it!) and her scheming mother, Harriet, parting is sad, but oh, the great times we had.

As we move towards the final episode airing on INSP on Friday, September 13th, let’s take a walk down memory lane with these blogs, quizzes, trivia and other Little House fun.

jason88cubs likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I have the first four seasons on DVD; upgraded to Blu-ray for the first season; would for more if I had the money. Maybe one day.
    I lost track in the past what happens much after season 4 - Mary going blind was too depressing (and what the reverend said was horrible)
    So I don't really know the Albert years, even if I saw some of it as a kid.
    I did see within the last couple years a couple later episodes - was weird seeing Laura teaching. I had to see the "new Nellie" - Nancy Olsen. That was pretty amusing.
    But I like the early episodes the best. When "Half-pint" is picked on by horrible Nellie the snob, and Laura representing justice.
    Going through some titles now to refresh my memory....Country Girls was one (the ending moved me to tears, something I love about this show, its ability to do that, and it often did)....Town Party-Country Party was a great one; School Mom; The Voice Of Tinker Jones; The Talking Machine; Troublemaker; The Collection (I love Johnny Cash in this! He was great on Columbo too, but not as good as on this one); The Bully Boys; The Election (again, where - this show had so much heart - where the one being picked on was the wisest); My Ellen, that's a sad one;
    yeah by the time of I'll Be Waving As You Drive Away it lost me...I need to go back and see more of the shows I have....I'm not sure I'd like the later ones much....
    Oh, The Music Box! A great one, with Laura's nightmares....
    Little House On The Prairie was a great show, at least a while of it for me.
    I was born in '67 so I watched a good deal of these when I was a kid. The best ones still hold up.

Silken and jason88cubs like this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

LHOTP is a very weird show. You’ll have a string of uplifting episodes, but then every so often, they’ll clock you with something very strange. Laura is kidnapped by a woman who thinks she is her dead daughter; Walnut Grove is terrorized by a raping mime; Alice Garvey uses Mary’s baby as a battering ram to escape a fire; the Olesons adopt a daughter who looks nothing like Nellie but everyone pretends she does; etc. Landon was obsessed with blind people, orphans, and blind orphans, not to mention his own large nipples. How many times did Charles break his ribs anyway?

The actresses who played Harriet and Nellie were very talented. Katherine MacGregor did sinister very well in the early episodes, and later became all-out comic relief. Just watch the faces she makes even when she doesn’t have any lines - she’s fantastic. Alison Arngrim was always solid as Nellie, but around the fourth or fifth season, she just started owning that part (she also had more comic situations at that point).

905, beccabear67 and jason88cubs like this.
  18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

They had an episode near the end of the series... Maybe "The Return Of Nellie"? When Alison returned to the show and met Nancy for the first time... She asked Laura "Was I that bad?!?" and Laura said yes.

905 and Michael like this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember one weird early show with Carrie in a sort of fairy land of her own imagination. No connection to the original books there but one of the most memorable tv episodes. As Carrie was practically mute in many episodes it was also a surprise to have her the focus of an entire episode. In the books she grew up and was the second longest lived Ingalls if I remember correctly. Nellie barely featured in the book series, but they kept her in the tv series almost forever it felt like.

I wouldn't have minded a series on Rose Wilder, Laura's daughter.

20. Michael

you should be glad you didn't...they are HORRIBLE!!! BDs are fabulous, and you get a VUDU copy as well...

21. Michael

that was the only episode I did not enjoy...and love the series madly!

22. Michael

Nellie redeemed herself! Yes, Katherine was brilliant in the show...love to hate her...but I loved her part...the ultimate witch!

23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

This is a pretty good read if you have time.

[​IMG]

SRC and 905 like this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Watched it in the late 70's, a decade later I nicknamed my girlfriend Laura but only when she looked wholesome in her shower cap.

25. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

One of the great series of all time,I really enjoyed it.

jason88cubs likes this.