Alright, CD players, let's see what we can agree on.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I got a onyko dx c390 6 slot cdp...ive read its just as good as 7030 soundwise...got it cheap 1 1/2 go cheap at BB...works great for me

Congrats on ur polks...ive polk rti a7s...love em

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It is well documented that Amazon U.S. received some bad batches of the C-7030. I would never recommend buying it there. Further I am not sure if Onkyo is still making this player for the U.S. market. This is the reason I recommend buying a player (no matter the brand) from A4L. These refurbs will have been gone over and should not have issues. My refurb C-7030 sees heavy use and it has been problem free. The C-7030 wasn't the only player to have issues either. Someone mentioned the CA CXC - loads of those had to have warranty service and the drives replaced, for example.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same with Marantz, Teac, Tascam, etc. I really wanted the Onkyo for its sturdy built and Wolfson DAC but reliability issues scared me so I ended up with the Oppo. The 0-100 volume feature alone was worth it (vintage receiver)

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

If you are going to use an external DAC like the Parasound, no need to spend too much on a CD player IMO. All it is going to do is spin the discs. Of course a very good player might be better sounding than the Parasound D/A section though.

5. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

One thing to beware of is that some current disc players, like the Cambridge One, don’t support gapless playback. So you would have the pleasure of listening to Dark Side of the Moon or live discs with gaps between all the tracks. Whatever you get, verify that it supports gapless playback.

fogalu likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Really? I haven’t used a very recent disc player (my old-ish Sony Blu-ray player is still kicking as a transport, but I’m on the lookout), but this is the first I am reading of CD players not playing gapless (AKA, normal...). How prominent a problem is this?

CBackley likes this.
  7. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I have never heard them. I consider this a slowly dying format that never gained any traction. Much software is resampled CDs. I am not about to start another collection of the same recording. The bad thing with digital is that the transports are secondary products from electronic markets. The number manufactured are too small for any manufacturer to consider supporting them in a long run. There are many high end cd players that are on pile of digital waste due to discontinued transports. I assume SACD will meet the same fate.I no longer will invest in a high end CD player. I had a beautiful sounding Classe CD player I sold for parts a few years back. LPs and Cds are good enough for me.

8. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I would go cd player into a dac that has been recommended . Another option is to get a PC DAC and play the cd's out of it or rip them and play them on FooBar2000. This would also give you the ability to play HiRez music if you so desire.

9. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Another option is to go to the local thrift store and buy a decent brand name cd player. About a year ago I picked up an 18 bit Onkyo single tray cd player that sounds very good for the $8 I paid for it. If it goes south oh well.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  10. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man Thread Starter

This is too new to have any reviews, but at the very least has gapless and can play MP3 CDs.

AXC35

I can't find it in my color though.

Thrift store would be next.

11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing this out, it looks intriguing. I wonder how the sound quality compares to a comparable Marantz...

12. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Look into a Tascam player. MP3. Gapless. Durable. Reasonable price. Plug into your Parasound either coaxial or optical and you’re in business. People might disagree w me but for a mechanical component, I’d never buy used or expensive. I’ve had too many die on me. The Tascams are well built pro audio gear. Or, just get an inexpensive player that you view as disposable. After having high end players die, I’ll never buy an expensive player again.

CBackley and Jim N. like this.
  13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

If you're happy with the DAC in your Parasound why not go for Cambridge's CXC transport? Do you have a lot of MP3 CDs? It's not a ton of $$ and simply goes about it's business of playing one format.

Or there's the AudioLab 6000CDT for about the same price.

14. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man Thread Starter

AudioLab looks nice. I guess I am trying to add things I don't really need. A transport should be more than sufficient. I like how the AudioLab uses the flagship models transporter. Might have to be the one.

15. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

I wouldn't worry too much about SACDs. In my opinion don't sound audibly different from CDs; and they're a tiny niche in the market anyway.

If I were buying today, I'd look for something bulletproof like a TASCAM CD200. Then, if you want a bit more resolution, add a used Rega DAC-R.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  16. The Pinhead

Widespread, sadly. Live records ? A 2¨ gaps between songs. Songs melding into the next song ? Same thing. Very annoying. Dark Side Of The Moon ? Chopped up !

17. Upstateaudio

Bought a refurb Onkyo from A4L, it was bad from the start. I exchanged it with A4L, this replacement has no issues. It is on my secondary system which I primarily stream Internet Radio and Apple Music so it does not get heavy use.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

To clarify, by heavy use I mean that it gets played for several hours a week, often several hours a day. Sorry you got a bad one the first time around. If anyone has concerns about long term reliability they should know that the unit comes with a one year factory warranty that can be extended an additional 2 years for a nominal fee.

19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It is unbelievable to me that enough people would accept that to allow such players to stay on the market! This is basic functionality...

ClassicalCD and The Pinhead like this.
  20. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I don’t think there are many - I’m only aware of a couple of players from Cambridge Audio that lack the feature.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. Upstateaudio

Not a big deal. A4L made good. I was impressed with them as a retailer. Will definitely use them again if something else dies.

wgb113, Big Blue and patient_ot like this.
  22. The Pinhead

Funny what ¨long term¨ means to different people. The most common complaint about this unit is that it lasts a little longer than the one-year warranty. Little wonder they sell it on the cheap. Glad you're happy with your and fingers crossed it will last you.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've already had it over a year, no issues.

Other people have had theirs even longer without issue. Like I said there were bad batches.

If you want to see something with major reliability issues look at some of the reviews for the current Sony BR/uni disc players.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

:righton:

PinkIsTheSky likes this.
  25. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Utter drivel. The CXC plays gapless perfectly.

displayname and Brother_Rael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.