Rega turntables question: 110V-220V

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Abhijit Nath, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm planning to get a Rega deck, and am currently in a 220/50 location (but might move back to the US. 110/60).

I understand that most other decks have transformers that only function with one, and even getting a voltage transformer will not help (the speed will still be off). Some other forums said that this was not an issue with Rega decks, and a small pulley change would work. Do any members have more data on this? Thanks a ton!

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You will need a voltage step down transformer and a 60hz motor pulley. It's likely as affordable to just sell the 220v unit there before you leave and buy a 120v unit here after you arrive. No shipping cost or damage woes there either.
    -Bill

Uglyversal and Abhijit Nath like this.
  3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Most project TT use DC motors & work on 120/60 , 230/50

4. Abhijit Nath

Oh, so they'll work in a plug & play manner in both the US & UK?

5. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am not familiar with the Rega motors, if they are DC it should work on both countries but you still need the transformer for the voltage unless the deck is multi voltage. If it matters to you, check the specs on the deck before buying. If the motor is AC then you need the pulley too. The suggestion to sell it and buy another in the US works better for me or find a TT that's for sure multi voltage, multi frequency.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I think it's the opposite Bill? The Rega operating on 220V would need a step up transformer from 117 volts to 220 volts in the USA? If the motor is AC, the pulley has to be changed to 60 cycles as everyone has said!

A "220" volt outlet could be installed here in the USA, however the voltage would be somewhat high.. about 234 volts, (117v x 2) possibly a bit high for the Rega.

KT88 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Silly question, but what does the manual say? Can it be run on 110 Volts? Is there a switcher for it?
    @The FRiNgE don't you mean a 'step down' transformer? He is in a 220v region and needs to go down to 11ov.
    Either way, the frequency will still be affected, and without a 'frequency inverter', the player will play 'fast',
    unless the belt option is available on the turntable....

8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

No, because the op is in a 220v country and wants to buy a Rega.. so it runs on 220v.
    If the op buys a 117v USA model, then he would need a step down in a 220v region.
    When going from 117 volts to 220 volts, to run a 220 volt appliance, we need a step up transformer/ converter.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

The FRiNgE likes this.
  10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, of course; thanks for the correction. That's what I meant to have indicated. I get stuck in my own little hemisphere sometimes. ;)
    -Bill

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Turntables with AC synchronous motor have their rotation speed determined by the AC line frequency, so a motor designed to run the turntable accurately at 50Hz, will not run at the right speed at a 60Hz line frequency, even if you step down the line voltage. A turntable with a DC motor won't have that line frequency issue, though obviously it will still need the appropriate power supply. I suppose it is possible to change the pulley gear diameter to get the proper speed out of a motor designed for a certain RPM at 50 Hz now being used at 60 Hz.

Rega turntables I think mostly have AC synchronous motors, but didn't the company have some DC motors too?

Check whether or not the turntable you are interested in has a DC motor or an AC synchronous motor. If it's AC synchronous, it might be easier just to sell the turntable when you leave and buy a new one when you get to the States, or get a new motor for the old one -- Rega sells motor kits for like $200.

Abhijit Nath likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

I recently talked about in another thread, this is off topic by the way....
    I bought a Jukebox from America and had it sent here to Australia, in which we are also 22oV.
    Nobody informed me at the time, and my lack of understanding as well, that I'd need a 'Frequency Inverter' to
    make up the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz.
    Everyone just told me you need a step up transformer from 110v to 240v.
    This didn't work, I bought two different types, so I do know it doesn't work.
    I had to get a 'box' made from a company here which cost me a silly amount of money, but it worked.
    Stepping up on Hertz is also pretty painful on the electricity bill too adding another 'box' to make it all happen
    just to listen to an American made Juke in Australia.....

Abhijit Nath likes this.
  13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They are all AC synchronous.
    -Bill

The FRiNgE and chervokas like this.
  14. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

15. Abhijit Nath

Thanks a ton, everyone! So to summarise any deck with a DC motor will work across countries, but not AC (or am I oversimplifying here)?

16. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

If a TT has a DC motor, the power supply will take the AC voltage from the wall socket & rectify & transform to feed the DC motor, So, if the power supply is dual voltage (i.e. if the input voltage is either automatically of manually switched from 110 to 220V), then the TT will work in both UK & US. However if the power supply is not switchable, then a new unit will be needed.

Abhijit Nath likes this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Unless the DC motor turntable is designed with a dual voltage power supply, you'll still need a step up transformer to run a 220V device on a 110V line (around here voltages are actually more like 120V). But you won't have the issue with the AC frequency and the motor speed.

Abhijit Nath likes this.
  18. Abhijit Nath

That's fine. I already have a step down:).

19. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

I think you need a step up Tx - from 110V to 220V. That should be you sorted if you get a TT with a DC motor.

Abhijit Nath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.