I've been looking for floor standing speakers with little success!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris C, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

Deep sigh ...

I've been looking and looking for a new (or used) set of floor standing speakers, but I still haven't really heard what I'm looking for. I recently saw the words "full range" and now I'm wondering if I should add those two words to what I'm auditioning? NOTE: I've already got my Klipsch Chorus 1's with Bob Crites updates for the Sinatra and jazz stuff, but what I want is a pair of floor standing speakers for my main 2-channel system that can "rock", yet be completely non-fatiguing and good for stuff like Elton John, Billy Joel, Supertramp and Alice Cooper. I'm not looking for a "smooth" sounding speaker, as I already have that with my B&W 805D's and I'm not looking for any speaker that needs a sub, just for the record!

My budget is $10,000 ish, but hopefully less. Any ideas or thoughts, please? THANKS, CHRIS

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Why don't the Klipsch Chorus 1s qualify?

searing75 likes this.
  3. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Nice budget....

SandAndGlass and Jeff8086 like this.
  4. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Have you looked into the JBL or Legacy lines?

Saint Johnny and Fruff76 like this.
  5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Polk L800 SDA PRO

4_everyman, Jacob29, Manimal and 4 others like this.
  6. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Try some Vandersteens if you have a dealer where you are.

Frost, Guildx500, Dennis Metz and 3 others like this.
  8. Chris C

Great speakers that can play loud and can rock, but, they don't have that bottom which forces me to use a sub with them. And before you recommend "Cornwalls", I also have a wonderful pair of those and while they do both well (highs and lows), I've yet to find the right amp to really get them singing, if you will? They are currently hooked up to a recently refurbished by a friend of mine, Fisher 500C, but while many often say that the Cornwalls can give you that bass slam, I will admit that they do dig pretty deep, they just don't give me that extra bottom, "how do you do"! My surround set-up features old Paradigm Studio 100 v2's and they offer that extra bottom that I'm desiring. Songs that I use for this effect are Celine Dion's "All By Myself" (listen after the instrumental when she comes in on the word "anymore" and David Foster turns on his slamming production and that rocks the entire room. Another great one is Steely Dan's "Josie", although far less dramatic than the last one, but that recording can provide a wonderful room filling slam. Sometimes those Klipsch horns can get in the way of providing that nice place in between the highs and the lows and a little more mid range is truly welcome on a lot of the music that I listen to.

SandAndGlass and Pinknik like this.
  9. Chris C

The Legacy line is wonderful, their prices however are just a tad more than I'm willing to pay, but believe me, they are at the top of my list, thanks!

10. workhorse

workhorse Forum Resident

There are plenty of floor standing speakers with little success. The challenge is finding the ones with great success.

izgoblin and George P like this.
  11. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Dynaudio Chorus 60

SirMarc and Maltman like this.
  12. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

By full range I assume you mean 20Hz-20KHz speakers.......Tough to find and even at your budget. The new JBLs come to mind, but I think even then you might only get to 30Hz. PS Audio speakers are suppose to include a subwoofer so those will get you 20Hz and under, whenever they decide to unveil them.

CX2000 likes this.
  13. Chris C

Most dealers always want to play their Vandersteen's on low wattage amps and far too softly for me to ever really get a feel for them. I'm NOT looking for an Audio Note UK type speaker anymore, as they are way, way, WAYYYYYY too smooth for my listening pleasures!

Jujigatame likes this.
  14. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I'd start looking at Legacy Audio, probably Signature SEs, and also the new Polk Legend Series speakers.

mreeter, brew ziggins and Chris C like this.
  15. Chris C

Way too soon to go for those, even though I've already seen you recommend them on other threads, as you've had the pleasure of hearing them. Not sure that I dig their "channel cancelling" effect on paper.

16. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Fruff76 likes this.
  17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Chris C:
    Hey... don't feel bad - I've been 'looking' for a pair of JBLs since 1969. :agree:

rodentdog, Fruff76 and Chris C like this.
  18. Chris C

Being an old radio announcer, I've heard and been mightily impressed with their studio monitors through the years. I also, many years ago used JBL DJ speakers on the road for my mobile DJ service. Good speakers, but much like those Heritage Klipsch, they can play loud, but they can also trip on themselves if you give them too much power or volume. I've got a McIntosh MC452 sitting here that is ready to play with the "big boys"!

Catcher10 likes this.
  19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Check out those Dynaudios. They don’t have a dip in the lower midrange so they have a nice impact on rock music. Bass goes down to 28 hz and the top end is fantastic (esotar2 tweeter). They take all of your 10k, but they are worth it. They also respond to Isoacoustics Gaia footers. They won’t be scared of your Mac

SirMarc, elmoe and Chris C like this.
  20. Chris C

Dynaudio does make some really great sounding speakers, in fact, my wife and I drove all the way down to Cincinnati recently to hear a pair of Confidence C4's that they were selling on consignment for $10,000 and they were wonderful, but my wife didn't care for the life size tree appearance of them, so they got vetoed. We also heard at the same place, Sonus Faber Olympica III's, which again are a wonderful sounding speaker (and beautiful to look at as well, but they didn't present anything sound wise more than my old $2,000 dollar Paradigm Studio 100 v2's did and my wife simply said what I was thinking, "been there, done that" and she was dead on!

mreeter likes this.
  21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The Chorus is a tad more waf friendly than the older model Confidence series. The model I heard was drop dead gorgeous, but I think they had an extra cost finish. The rest of the system was around 300k, so I don’t think your Mc would be out of place

Chris C likes this.
  22. Chris C

On paper that is probably what I'm looking for, but. like my old Paradigm Studio 100 v2's, which on paper do not dip that low, still offer me a really nice and smooth bottom end that dips far below it's class and price! I still feel that I already own one of the best under rated speakers of all time with those guys in the house!

porieux likes this.
  23. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Do you mean Contour 60?

24. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Yes Contour series. The 30 is nice too. I thought that didn’t sound right.

25. Chris C

Really appreciate so many of you chiming in, thanks!

Believe me, even when I'm standing in a Hi-Fi shop, it's hard to know just what to audition and more often than not, I will get a "deer in the headlight" look from a salesman, trying to figure out just what to listen to next. I was recently up in Michigan at a place to audition the extremely rare Snell A7's and man, they were out of this world sound wise, but their price tag and size in real life were both deal killers in the end.

I always like to ask a salesman what they have at home, as I figure what they have at home is what THEY truly like, right? I have had a barrage of different types of speaker answers in reply from Vandersteen's to Active ATC SCM 40's. I've also had those same guys make fun of the same, so there you go. Much like buying a car, no same car is always the answer for everyone!

CX2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.