The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

As usual, Garcia couldn't just sit around during that time. Aside from finishing up his solo release he did lots of shows with Saunders and some tour dates with wales. The early 72 academy of music show with wales was my first Garcia non dead show not including seeing him with the new riders opening for the dead.

2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I'll have to watch this later

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

tis the season!
    70-72 also represents a crucial arc in the development of Garcia as a musician. Moving from the 60s, when there was a kind of chaotic stew of amateur knuckleheads making music within their own scenes, by 1969 they were basically professionals, and the next few years he really branched out as a session player, but his main side band was the New Riders.

Removing Garcia's commitment (at the end of October 71) to a side band where he played a secondary instrument and changing the emphasis to bands where he played jazz-fusion lead guitar meant a new dimension in his guitar playing.

He was playing with serious professional instrumentalists on the side, rather than moonlighting on steel in his buddies' cosmic cowboy group, and he's talked in interviews about how he essentially learned jazz from playing with Merl Saunders. You can hear this in the early 72 shows of that group.

the NRPS debut came out in August 71, about the time the GD took a break, and Garcia finished his solo album, the Merl Saunders album Heavy Turbulence (which is basically the Garcia/Saunders group of that time,) and then the de facto GD album Ace all within 6 months.

4. ianuaditis

He was pissed that Garcia had called him a narc (not without justification) in an interview in the late 70s/early 80s.

His revisionist history is easily contradicted by looking at what Duane Allman, Berry Oakley and Dickey Betts all said about the GD and Garcia c.1969-72 and beyond.

I have a hard time fathoming how one might interpret Gregg's inclusion of Black Muddy River on his final album (when he knew he was dying,) as anything but an attempt to lay that feud to rest. He could have done Loose Lucy or something...

5. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

I’d really be interested in learning more about Merl and his relationship with Jerry- both in the beginning of their relationship as well as how important and self-less Merl was with Jerry after Jerry’s hospitalization in ‘85.

6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

As much as I love Gregg, I know his heart was really with blues/R&B/soul. Nothing wrong with that.

Do we know the date of this particular ABB show? Apologies if it was mentioned earlier (Haven’t looked). I’d like to hear this one too! Chances are it’s readily available. Just need to know when it was!

ARK, budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Guy Smiley

Some justification, sure, but few knew the whole story back then. Gregg was in a bad spot, with few choices, and as I’ve read in the years since Scooter told him he should testify. The oral history of the band, from Alan Paul is a must-read for any fans of the band. It lays the whole story out in detail. Certainly, it appears Gregg’s bandmates ultimately forgave him. After once saying they’d never play with him again.

As for his bio, yeah, he ragged on the GD a bit in context of the times. At the end of the book, however, he included the GD as part of “the good stuff” that younger music fans were coming out to see and listen to. I suspect he grew to like and appreciate what the GD were doing. The final incanation of ABB played “Franklin’s” a lot too, not to mention tours with both P&F and Ratdog.

ARK, adamos, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No downloads that I know of here, but it's always just a few clicks away: Grateful Dead

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

whats funny is most of his comments are about the fans dancing lol

ARK, sami and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Been going back to portions of So Many Roads recently

The Dark Star Jam>Spanish Jam>U.S. Blues from 6/23/74 is otherworldly.

Crispy Rob, ARK, adamos and 12 others like this.
  12. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Thanks Bro!

Archtop likes this.
  13. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Thanks!

Smokin Chains likes this.
  14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Grateful Dead Thinkin’ About Merl Saunders

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

10 September 1974- Alexandria Palace, London, England.

The Goods.

16. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

It's right around the hour and nine minute mark in the show. "It went out, it went Sun Ra out..."

Thanks for posting that

Crispy Rob, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  17. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Thanks for the correction!

trd likes this.
  18. Guy Smiley

So if it was with Herring, then it had be in 2000. That was the summer Dickey got canned, after hitting rock bottom, and Herring replaced him temporarily until Warren rejoined. That narrows it down a bit.

trd likes this.
  19. ianuaditis

I had this on earlier, after listening to the 1969 mix of Aoxomoxoa, which is my favorite Garcia album (and has become my 2nd favorite GD album overall over the last couple of years.

20. Guy Smiley

After getting the Aoxomoxoa 50th (For under $12! Thanks to whoever tipped this forum off to that last week!) I am addicted to the original mix.

Jerry, unfortunately, made some questionable decisions in life. Remixing Aoxomoxoa, while not the most severe or tragic, was one of them.

21. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

The good news is we can have both!

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, adamos, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  22. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I am STILL waiting for my stinking Aox50 t-shirt. Gee I hope it didn't get lost in the warehouse move. I'm going to light them up tonight. How long has it been, 3 months? Inexcusable.

23. KDubATX

Possibly was this one. He mentions that it was possibly at Virginia Beach.

Event Information
    Event Date: Friday, June 16, 2000
    Start Time: 7:00 PM *
    Band: The Allman Brothers Band
    Venue: GTE VA Beach Amphitheater

Setlist

1. Mountain Jam
    2. Don't Want You No More
    3. It's Not My Cross To Bear
    4. Ain't Wastin' Time No More
    5. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
    6. High Falls
    7. Midnight Rider
    8. Melissa
    9. Stormy Monday
    10. Stand Back
    11. Hot 'Lanta
    12. Feel So Bad
    13. End Of The Line
    14. Black Hearted Woman
    15. One Way Out
    16. Jessica
    17. Revival
    Encore:
    18. Whipping Post
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Pat McGee Band opened
    Jimmy Herring subbing for Dickey

ARK, Spadeygrove, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  24. KDubATX

Video is version from June 24, 2000

trd and ianuaditis like this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Worth a listen! Thanks!