Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

ibanez_ax likes this.
  2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Prompted by your post, I listened to the “Kreutzer” today, and I must say there is nothing weird that I noticed about the piano sound.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I know you told me, but it could have been more or less noticeable on individual pieces, that's why I'm asking.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have not heard any of her chamber music.

5. crispi

Ah, I understand. Didn't mean to be curt. I didn't notice varying ambiance, it seems as if they made an effort to keep the box as consistent as possible sound-wise.

6. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

That Symphonie Espagnole is one of my favorites. But then, I love most of Szeryng's earlier recordings.

hvbias likes this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Her Piano Trios and Piano Quintets are excellent.

Eigenvector and Rose River Bear like this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Woops, my mistake, I meant on Melnikov's recording of Shostakovich Op. 87 you were discussing a few posts earlier. I should not have quoted your post discussing that Beethoven release, I've never heard it but I have been meaning to, I like Isabelle Faust in one of those Debussy centennial discs.

I went back to listening to a handful of Scherbakov's recordings to compare, he remains my personal reference. And the more solid, weighted piano sound works in the favor of this music instead of the gentle playing from Melnikov combined with that "dream-like" recording quality. The reverberation on that Melnikov disc is not as egregious on my living room speakers.

From what I've read Shostakovich was quite headstrong in how these were supposed to be played bringing out the anger, sorrow, and humor in the works. His own recordings (I believe incomplete) are vastly different from most modern interpretations. This is why I have been really curious about Maria Yudina playing them; the way she plays WTC leads me to believe she has that swagger for Op. 87.

Yes, indeed. As I have been sampling a FLAC rip of this set I am leaning more and more towards buying this the next time it comes up at for a good deal. Listening to just snippets of lossless files made it so I was focusing on the transfers, when listening to whole symphonies or the piano concerti with Edwin Fischer it is much easier to see the big picture and appreciate the music.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    crispi likes this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

We had a discussion on Szeryng several months ago, we agreed on Szeryng's earlier recordings :thumbsup:

That is definitely my favorite performance of Symphonie Espagnole and AP's reissue is excellent.

HiResGeek likes this.
  10. crispi

Not sure that’s going to happen any time soon, unless BP Recordings will decide it needs to move some more of these faster. I believe it’s been at full price ever since it got released.

hvbias likes this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

OK, this might not rival Bach's Art of Fugue for complexity, but it's enjoyable, well played, and wonderfully recorded.

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

layman, bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the first Living Stereo box. Warhorse Wednesday!

[​IMG]

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Going through the Strauss operas.
    [​IMG]

15. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, royzak2000 and J.A.W. like this.
  16. coopmv

I have the SACD version ...

[​IMG]

layman, Gollum, tomymontana and 6 others like this.
  17. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    J.S. Bach: Goldberg Variations arr. Trio Zimmermann for string trio. Trio Zimmermann: Frank Peter Zimmermann, Antoine Tamestit, and Christian Poltéra. BIS

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Orlando Di Lasso - Missa Tous Les Regrez / Motetten / Motets" performed by Singer Pur on Ars Musici.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

[​IMG]
    DG 429 934-2
    Enjoyable accounts of the Triple Concerto by L von Beethoven and Brahms's Double in a disc I had since the early 90's that got misfiled a year back.

20. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

For decades, this has been one of my very favorite LP's. As far as I know, it has never made it to CD (maybe in Japan?). I transferred it to cassette and also to homemade CD-R years ago. Narciso Yepes is of course well known and well recorded. Whatever happened to Ms. Monden? Discogs shows only this and 2 or 3 other recordings.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

She is so good, her 90s Bartok was the first I heard, don't think she has put a foot wrong since.

hvbias likes this.
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Got a new washing machine so had to move a rack to get it through and found this, on top with loads of slip cases.
    It is wonderful. By the way it's Janet not Jessye in The Song of the Earth.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I remember seeing this LP when it first came out (way before the internet!), and I had no idea who she was and there not any easy method of finding out. (I still can't find much about her.) At the time, I didn't care for his solo playing, but I saw this in a record store yesterday and figured for $2.98 it was worth a gamble! I appreciate his playing more these days.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I’m not a huge opera fan, but I do rather like Strauss’ Elektra, Salome, and the, at times, Wagnerian Die Frau ohne Schatten.