The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Added a response I didn't know about it--"Not me, I don't like Phish at all!"

sami likes this.
  2. trd

trd Forum Resident

That comment always make me laugh as he had just sat in with Phish the summer before in Raleigh

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Jerry wasn’t wrong! :shh:

rockinlazys and budwhite like this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I'm not usually one for matrix mixes, but this one is really quite nice.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Happy birthday to the son of Lenny Hart, Mickey Hart!

7. US Blues

11 September 1974- Ally Pally, London.

More of The Goods.

Went down to play the slot machine...

8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1974-06-22 Scarlet still continuing to develop. PiTB goes way, way out. China>Rider is again kind of gloopy and heady; one of the best Ship of Fools; I like Eyes better than the Omni one (6-20) but judging by their respective reps. should revisit the latter.

Crispy Rob, sami, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I listened to the 30 Trips '79 show from Cape Cod, expecting to be bowled over, having listened to the second set some years ago and liking it. It didn't grab me this time. I found the first set rather generic and the second set was good, without being especially compelling. I think I was a bit tired and distracted and perhaps not open to being impressed. I'll give it another go. I am starting to think that 6 November '79 is one of the best shows of the year though.

In other news, I am still trying to get my failed hard-drive working. Apparently it is a physical issue with part of the board in the drive, not the area that holds the information, meaning the content is all there but the drive itself won't operate. The computer guy says he can get it back if I can get an identical drive. Only problem is, they're no longer made. Really similar models are made but the equivalent part in them won't fit in the old (2015 so hardly a long time ago) drive. The best price I can find on old stock - and this is no joke - is over AUD$400 on eBay...for a 2TB hard-drive. I made an offer of half that but am expecting not to get it. Not sure what I'll do. I have far, far more than $400 worth of purchased music on there so I guess it would be worth it...except if the computer guy says, "Oh, wait. No. Sorry. I can't fix it." Back up your hard disks, kids.

10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

There are two types of people = those who backup, and those who wish they had. :shake:

Crispy Rob, ARK, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  11. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

I bought a 2nd hard drive a few months ago just for this. I got really paranoid one day about losing all my music. Extra hard drives are fairly cheap on Amazon these days.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  12. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

I know there are a few Austin area folks posting in here. Is anyone else going to see JRAD on Saturday (9/14) at ACL Live?

13. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Speaking of hard drives, I need to get myself a new back-up for my drive. How long does it take to copy files from one external drive to another external drive?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Row Jimmy and Sugaree are very effective at producing a chilled and laid back vibe.

15. Freebird

[​IMG]

What is this Tuesday thing that’s referenced, @US Blues ?

16. US Blues

Color me clueless.

And in regards to Wednesday, to simply say that Ned Lagin plays electric piano misses the whole point of the Seastones > Eyes of the World sequence.

ianuaditis and Freebird like this.
  17. Freebird

Are you knowledgeable as to why these shows weren’t released in their entirety and instead given a compilation treatment?

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Dick Latvala's decision. At the time they generally weren't issuing CD sets larger than 3 discs. I seem to remember complaints about the omission of the 9/11/74 jam with Ned.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It can take hours to copy a full 1-2TB hard drive.
    If you have a desktop computer, I’d advise running an automated backup program so that the backup will be automatically and incrementally updated. The first backup is the only one that should take a long time.
    If it isn’t automated, it isn’t backed up.

ARK, US Blues and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  20. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

It's a far cry from OTD in 74, but for some reason I put on DYLAN & THE DEAD during my run this morning. I'm certain I hadn't listened to that since I marathoned the Dylan catalogue in the summer of 2011. It's not the greatest thing, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Joey is a pretty dreadful song, but this performance positively annihilates the studio version. I'm actually curious now to hear the rest of the Dylan sets from this tour -- I know this album's been almost universally panned over the years, but I also know that's not the whole story.

Crispy Rob, dtuck90, ARK and 4 others like this.
  21. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Thanks, was genuinely curious. I'm running a Macbook Pro (one of the newer ones with way too few ports), so I need to sort out my dongle situation before I tackle this one.

US Blues likes this.
  22. US Blues

Plus there are a few tunes missing from master reels, cuts in others, and the first show was a bit dodgy. Charlie put out patched copies of all three nights. :righton:

23. US Blues

Always keep your dongles well sorted.

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Consider a networked drive which can run Time Machine.
    Also consider keeping your music library on a networked drive. No storage issues with the laptop. Only downside is that you won’t have your library with you on the go.

KCWhistle likes this.
  25. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I'm a Macbook guy, too. The initial backup does take a while, but it's also not something where you necessarily need to be sitting there paying attention to it. I do a backup at the end of each day, and those generally go very quickly. I'm one of those people who learned his lesson the hard way a number of years ago. It makes computer troubles far less stressful and disruptive.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.