Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

I really hope the remaster sounds great,I know that if it doesn't we can always go back to the originals but please do a proper remaster ;)

Matthew Tate, 905 and CBackley like this.
  2. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Not that my opinion matters, but I'd take a release like Originals any day over cassette dubs. I'd much rather hear a properly mixed track from the original multi-tracks rather than a cassette dub of a rough mix that was never released in the first place.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Agreed. I also like having the single edits, so I don't feel it's wasted real estate.

4. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I know I can click-through princevault myself, but anyone who's well-versed in this stuff might know off-hand: anything on discs 3 or 4 appear to be super-rare or uncirculating entirely?

5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Yes. Amazing stuff. Will have kittens no doubt when I see the price of the 10 LP set, but glad it's an option on CD and vinyl with no.compromise.

Only downer...frigging DVD in a box set. A lowly DVD...

6. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

I think the show was taped so no point in Blu-ray
    I do wish it was Blu-ray

7. Tom Schreck

Hopefully the audio is great, at least. We can hope for multi-track, but a great soundboard feed would be fine with me, as long as it's mastered nicely.

Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  8. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

SD source on both live shows released posthumously.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Colleen, ******, Rearrange, Bold Generation are all uncirculated aa far as I know. Other tracks have circulated with varying quality - mostly very good - or not in full.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Matthew Tate, hiterss and Tom Schreck like this.
  10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Definitely. I have a LOT of Vault stuff, and there’s a ton here I don’t have.

11. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

This is a crime.

Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  12. englishbob

There is always a point in having a Bluray

Better audio, better menus and navigation. And they don't mark as easily as DVD

JackDVD78 and hiterss like this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's on the official Prince Facebook page now.

Prince

On November 29th the Prince Estate, in partnership with Warner Records, will reissue Prince's landmark album 1999, remastered for the very first time, along with 35 previously unreleased tracks from Prince's legendary vault.

Considered one of the most iconic and influential double albums in rock history, #Prince1999 was released at a major turning point in the Prince's career. After years of struggling to break out of the R&B charts, he scored major crossover hits with "Little Red Corvette" and "1999." The success helped Prince to introduce his iconic Minneapolis Sound to the world: a revolutionary blend of rock, funk, R&B and new wave pop that shattered barriers in the industry.

The songs on 1999 were just a small sampling of the work pouring out of Prince in this intensely prolific period. In addition to his own material, he was also working up tracks to give to his protégés Vanity 6 and The Time, and storing countless unreleased songs in his vault.

Many of those unreleased tracks are included in the Super Deluxe Edition of the 1999 reissue, and on November 29 they will be heard by the public for the very first time.

“I didn’t want to do a double album, but I just kept writing," Prince told Rolling Stone in 1982. "I always compare songwriting to a girl walking in the door. You don’t know what she’s going to look like, but all of a sudden she’s there.”

In addition to the remastered album and studio tracks from the vault, the Super Deluxe Edition includes two complete live performances from the 1999 Tour: an audio recording captured on 11/30/82 in Detroit; and a video recording from 12/29/82 in Houston, presented on DVD.

In the liner notes for the Super Deluxe Edition, Rolling Stone critic David Fricke calls the 1999 reissue “an unprecedented immersion in the frenetic momentum and private working world of Prince in 1981 and 1982."

The Super Deluxe Edition features Prince's never-before-seen handwritten lyrics from the era, tape reels from the legendary vault, and rare photography from #AllenBeaulieu, plus liner notes by longtime Rolling Stone critic David Fricke, revered Guns N' Roses bassist and author Duff McKagan, and Prince scholars Andrea Swensson and Duane Tudahl.

The 1999 reissue will be available in Super Deluxe and Deluxe Editions, and as a stand-alone remastered album. It will be issued on LP, CD, and digital formats on November 29.

[​IMG]

14. Tom Schreck

One of the problems with the Purple Rain reissue was the third disc -- some of those edits are literally just shorter versions of the already single-length album tracks. Looks like this reissue doubles-down on that approach on disc 2. It's nice to have everything from the singles in one place, but if it's just taking up space with no new elements, I would rather have more tracks from the vaults. Just my $.02.

Freek999, Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  15. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Can't say anything but right you are:D

englishbob likes this.
  16. englishbob

$249 for 10 vinyl album set. This should be sub $200

Someone's on drugs

(This will mean about £350...)

Turntable and CBackley like this.
  17. Tom Schreck

What are your thoughts about the "reloaded" version that he released as a single in the 2010s and eventually ended up on HitNRun2? THAT is one of my absolute favorite Prince tracks.

D.B. and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. englishbob

On recent form there's bugger all chance

CBackley likes this.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Oh wow, this looks great! I’m all in.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

I like the new version but LOVE the original.

D.B., CBackley and Tom Schreck like this.
  21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Bowie vinyl boxes have been priced the same way. Not too hard to run into one at 45% off from the right place at the right time.

22. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Please tell me that's not the cover art.

Please...

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

have not heard this album, but i will get this deluxe. looks exciting!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

A tweet from the official Prince account puts the release date as November 29th, as opposed to the earlier date in the original article (repeated in this thread title).

Meanwhile Questlove tweeted:

Prince fans rejoice: 10 lps/5 cd/1 DVD 40+ songs (can't wait for y'all to hear "Vag*na" haha) excited to hear what i lived w on lo-fi hiss quality for like 3 plus decades. and happy to play this stuff (finally) w/o getting the ("where u get that from???") calls”

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I hope it’s not directly off the video master from the Summit.

The Who from The Summit in ‘75 is semi-official, but audio and video quality are just too fuzzy to truly enjoy it.

Matthew Tate likes this.