Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

No such problem with "D.M.S.R." on this German pressed CD:

Prince - 1999 [Discogs]

EAC peaks (%):

78.4 - 1999
    65.3 - Little red corvette
    68.6 - Delirious
    81.0 - Let's pretend we're married
    78.2 - D.M.S.R.
    73.9 - Automatic
    69.9 - Something in the water (does not compute)
    77.7 - Free
    93.5 - Lady cab driver
    63.3 - All the critics love u in new york
    72.5 - International lover

Don't know about other pressings.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I didn't see that as a problem on the Purple Rain reissue. They went for completeness and those edits were the official single versions. Same here, though I am a bit surprised they also included the mono (promo-only) versions. Anyway, that disc was never going to have any vault stuff on it, so it is not denying another track to be included.

And my opinion about the set. Cliché, but... Take my money!

3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Now I need to pull out my CD copy. I never noticed the off volume of DMSR, to be honest :laugh: aaaaaaah, now I DO have a reason to get thinking about this box set. :laughup:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It’ll all the available on TIDAL! :righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If the arena sells out at $250+, what good is selling 2 or 3x as many tickets at $75 (for a total amount of $150-$225)? Pricing where the supply and demand curves meet is not "overpriced"; it's correctly priced.

As for this Prince set, I'm sure they've calculated the ROI on various options/permutations and doing a simultaneous 2CD of the unreleased set likely wasn't a winning ticket. As for getting as many people to listen as possible - particularly with a physical 2CD set of the unreleased material...ummm, that's probably not a priority in the big picture or otherwise. That's what streaming will be for.

daveidmarx likes this.
  6. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Great news.
    Single edits are essential - I'd buy the set for those alone.

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Only here does Gene Clark get mentioned in a thread about Prince. :rolleyes:

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Come on, the post your referring to was just expressing his excitement that both sets are being released. Don’t be such a downer.
    But if you didn’t like that you won’t like this either:
    I can’t believe I will be getting this set for sure, yet have no interest in the new David Bowie Space Oddity set

9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

According to the Prince site, all versions come with download / streaming.

Prince | Official Website

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

One thing that's interesting about this is that it looks like they're going to do a vinyl release of the full package; that doesn't seem to happen very often. Not that I'm going to buy the 10LP version but I know people will (I'll do the 4lp one and listen to the other bonus tracks via streaming)

CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

My point was that often, the arena isn't sold out. I've seen a lot of half-full shows in my day, where I've looked around and wondered if the place would be packed to the rafters if more tickets were priced reasonably. Of course everyone still gets paid, which is all that matters to a lot of people (and you, apparently), but I don't like to think of music that way. Of course everyone wants to make money, but there's also more money to be made long-term in engaging more fans, even in a situation like this. Hell, even Pink Floyd realized the value in splitting up their box set into individual components.

I mean, I personally think in the streaming age this is kind of a null point, but if labels are trying to drag the last dollar out of physical media, IMO they're leaving some money on the table not offering some kind of piecemeal thing: either a standalone outtakes/unreleased songs set, or a live release, or optimally, both. I'd definitely be interested in the Vault stuff on vinyl, and an early 80's double live Prince LP would be an instant purchase (assuming the sound quality is good). But I already have an OP of the main album, and the single edits don't interest me much, so instead of getting $25, maybe $50 out of me, they're going to get whatever streaming money from me. Just seems short-sighted, on both revenue and philosophical levels, to either make $70/$250 or essentially $0, with no options in between.

It doesn't matter to me once I can stream it, and also since Prince is no longer with us, I'm not particularly concerned about how much money he's making that he's not here to spend. But I think it's kind of lame.

12. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Not necessarily so, that's not how I interpret it. It seems that all versions will be available on download/streaming platforms. But that does not mean that a download card is included for those buying the LPs.

CBackley likes this.
  13. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

OH MY! This album and Purple Rain helped shape my childhood. I'm in!!!

Sean, Matthew Tate, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That’s how I read it as well.

15. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Translation? :confused:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

His name is Gene. And he is funky.
    His name is Gene. The one and only.

17. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Careful what you wish for, they may compress/brickwall the hell out of the whole album, like they did with Purple Rain. :cussing:

jmxw and MielR like this.
  18. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Was DMSR's volume higher or lower than the rest of the tracks?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I don't think I've heard either track. The Purple Rain Deluxe certainly had some "vulgar/rough" language, I wonder why they'd change for this one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Gutted at the exclusion of Lust U Always & Extra Loveable. Those were the tracks I was looking forward to the most.
    Unless they're planning a release akin to Zappa's "Have I Offended Someone?", this was the perfect time and place to release them.

hiterss, Freek999 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Check out "Xtraloveable" from Hit N Run Phase 2. This is the same version that was released in 2013 or so as a single. I think it's outstanding, but results may vary. An earlier mix had come out as the first version of the single with a guest rapper but no horn section, and I don't like it as much.

The original Extraloveable from 1982 is a fan-favorite on bootlegs, and it's mostly real good, but at the end during the vamp / ad-libs, he basically threatens sexual violence. It's highly regrettable. It was probably something just done in the moment as a bit of shocking bravado, but it's honestly ruined that version for lots of fans.

22. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

So are we supposed to infer that the "Irresistible B" that's included here is different than the single version, as it's on the Vault Tracks and not disc 2? That's fine with me, but that would mean that it's the only era B-side that's not included, right?

23. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I am glad that super-boxes like this are available for those who want them.

As for me, while I love the "1999" album, I am happy with the LP that I have owned for about 36 years. Probably always will be, LOL.

MielR, The MEZ, Sean and 2 others like this.
  24. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

A super deluxe box set with a super deluxe price tag. It's fair enough. As long as they don't ask for something like £300 for the 10lp in the UK, I am in.

Not surprising that Extraloveable and Lust U Always have been left off. But could they have included them with the rape bits edited out?

CBackley, hiterss and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That would just call attention to it...I guess they figured it’s better to just leave them off completely so non die hard Prince fans not aware of the songs stay in ignorant bliss.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019