Bill Burr: Paper Tiger

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anyone see this? I just did. If you watch his podcast, it might take a few surprises from you. Nia, Cleo, etc etc, even the doll. But it was still good. Not many laugh out loud moments, but he said some things that needed to be said about men/women, and "Why am I like this?"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Gumboo, hvbias, showtaper and 3 others like this.
  2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

This is on my TO-DO list for the week. His last few specials haven't been the greatest but he is one of my favorite comics (ever).

It's been a great month for comedy, starting with that Dave Chappelle special, Sticks And Stones. (A bit disappointed to not see a thread here for it, actually.)

MortSahlFan and Denim Chicken like this.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Yes was excited to see that this was coming out this week. I agree with asd35 that the last couple specials weren't on the same level as his earlier work but still love Bill.

It'll be tough to follow Chappelle's new one though.

asdf35 and MortSahlFan like this.
  4. MortSahlFan

I agree about Bill's previous special not being great. I think his b&w one is his best, but his early ones were great, too.

Weird that there's no Chappelle thread. Hmmm, I thought I started one, guess not. Maybe I assumed someone else would. I love stand-up almost more than anything, but there aren't many comics I'll watch. I'll watch anything those guys do.

Maranatha5585 and asdf35 like this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here's he is on Joe's podcast, today!

Jason Manley, Gumboo, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

For me he is the best thing since George Carlin. He just cracks me up. Love all the Netflix specials.
    John M.

btltez, Gumboo, razerx and 2 others like this.
  7. MortSahlFan

I'm watching this now :)

vince and apesfan like this.
  8. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I have to disagree about the number of laugh out loud moments. My son and I watched the special about an hour ago and had quite a few big laughs as well as a few "I can't believe he said that" looks with each other. I've taken him to see quite a few comics and Bill and Dave Chappelle are among our favorites.

Chappelle's latest special is among his best. I love a comic that is not afraid to take on tough subjects..........

asdf35 and MortSahlFan like this.
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I really enjoyed this one. The first half was Bill at the top of his game and I was busting up the whole time. Slows down a bit in the second half to me but still very funny. I think it was better than the last special.

Gumboo and MortSahlFan like this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Good concert. It always gets me when HE starts laughing. His podcast with Rogan is well worth your time. He talks about Zep playing at the RAH and how he's standing on the same stage.

It looks like comedians are starting to get their courage back and making fun of everyone like they should.

11. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Love this guy too!

Gonna watch the new one tonight..

Man, was he great acting in B.B. years back.

12. Will be checking it out - I generally dig him, although IMHO his appearances on the Rogan show are generally funnier than his specials.

vince likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

And YET.....I was SOOOOO waiting for Joe to ask him if He and Level were gonna be in the Breaking Bad movie!!!

jwoverho likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yes, the thread is still there. It's just in Off-Topic as opposed to Visual Arts.

asdf35 likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

There's never been a change in that mentality. You can have a room of 200 people and all it takes is one idiot to blog how offended he/she was and it automatically will generate some level of interest in people who'll have no context and immediately agree and/or the media which never rebuffs an opportunity to make it seem like the sky is falling.

btltez, realkilroy, trd and 3 others like this.
  16. MortSahlFan

I actually started it after thinking I already did :)

17. jwoverho

At least it seems like there’s less apologizing from comedians lately. :)

18. Strat-Mangler

It's all perception. You know how many comedians give shows every week and how many jokes are delivered on a nightly basis? One person a week has a problem with one joke out of tens of thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands). It's a ridiculously small (next to non-existent) percentage that the media will exaggerate to generate interest. Same as it always was.

19. jwoverho

We’ve come a long way from when Lenny Bruce would have his cabaret card pulled for saying a bad word on stage.

At his peak he was making $5k a week. That was major money back then. He did his “ To is a preposition” bit and got hit with obscenity charges.

Now a rock band takes the stage and says “How the F are you, Cleveland?” and no one bats an eye.

20. Strat-Mangler

Again, context. It was 1961 and the word he used is still not OK to use in most situations today. Not like the subject matter is what got him in trouble.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. MortSahlFan

Mort Sahl never cursed but was blacklisted several times for speaking the truth. I guess he isn't trendy enough.

Bobby Buckshot and jwoverho like this.
  22. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Heard this for the first time today - been a fan for a couple of years (I’m in the U.K) and had never heard about this .

Blimey ! Bill didn’t hold back .

Looking for to seeing the new film .
    Halfway through F Is For Family on Netflix which is great .

23. jwoverho

By the end of his rant he’s got the crowd he’s eviscerating cheering for him. I’m glad someone got it on tape, otherwise it would just be a legend. It’s still legendary! Lol

24. I need to see this. I just saw the Chapelle special. It was brilliant. Burr is great, too.

Otherwise, wake me up for the Louis CK Come Back special. <----get it? :evil: <Yeah, I didn't think so> But seriously, yeah, I'm waiting for Louis CK. I mean, it's got to happen sometime, right?

btltez, Strat-Mangler and MortSahlFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.