Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Black Crowes
    3/22/95
    Beacon Theater
    NYC, NY
    SBD

disc 1
    01. Cursed Diamond (acoustic - Chris & Rich only)
    02. She (acoustic)
    03. She Talks To Angels (acoustic)
    04. Waitin’ Guilty (acoustic)
    05. Thorn’s Progress Jam >
    06. Thorn In My Pride
    07. My Morning Song
    08. Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye *
    09. Sometimes Salvation
    disc 2
    01. P.25 London
    02. She Gave Good Sunflower
    03. High Head Blues
    04. Sting Me *
    05. Twice As Hard *
    06. Stare It Cold *
    07. Seeing Things
    08. Could I’ve Been so Blind
    09. Champagne N’ Reefer
    10. Remedy

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Got the blu-ray in the mailbox today. Watching right now

[​IMG]

Bring On The Music / Live at the Capitol Theatre captures the excitement of a Gov’t Mule show in a package that you can relive over and over again. Filmed in Port Chester, NY on April 27 & 28, by noted director Danny Clinch in a 9-camera video shoot. It’s the first time the band’s updated stage set & production have been filmed. The release also includes bonus footage of soundcheck, pre-show crowd, behind the scenes, and interviews with the band.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I definitely played A Picture of Nectar more than any other album the year it came out. A staple of my last college abode, which was not made of adobe. Soundtrack along with Electric Ladyland to many a strenuous backgammon/darts biathalon.

adamos, wavethatflag, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Round Room has always seemed undercooked to me, but there are a few pretty good tracks along with a few complete stinkers (the total track being one of those). I do like 46 Days a lot.

Although I picked up Round Room when it was new, Undermind was one I didn't bother picking up until a few years ago, and to my surprise I really liked it a lot. It is definitely my favorite post-2000 studio album of theirs (followed by Fuego), for whatever that is worth.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Funny, because Billy Breathes might be my favorite album of theirs, and I always thought it hung really well together as an album, unlike, say Hoist. Junta, Nectar, Lawn Boy, and Billy Breathes are easily my favorite Phish studio albums. Hard to pick a fifth to round out that top 5 but I guess it would have to be Rift.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's a cover of a TV on the Radio song.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Out of those I've heard, the Delivery Man is my favorite of his since Blood and Chocolate. The bonus disc on the 2-CD edition is also top notch.

wavethatflag and rockinlazys like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great album. I remember reading an interview with Weir where he mentioned it as a favorite back in the '90s or so, probably in Blair Jackson's Golden Road mag.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have that Cobra Recordings on CD with a slightly different cover (I think). Been quite a while since I spun it, but I should dig it out again soon. How is the Right Place, Wrong Time album?

wavethatflag, rockinlazys and Erik B. like this.
  10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

RPWT was recorded while OR career was more or less on the downside but it is still a pretty good record all the same, he released a smoking album around the same time "Cold Day In Hell" (1975) & another live smoker titled "So Many Roads / Live In Japan (1976) that IMO crush "Right Place Wrong Time"...

The Kevin Gray cut on Pure Pleasure is the RPWT to own...

Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

mine has an orange cover

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

What are IEMs? This is the second post I've seen today that used this acronym and I don't have the foggiest.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

[​IMG]

Back in the '90s my guitar teacher turned me on to this one, which has the entire Let's Hide Away and Dance Away with Freddy King album plus another album called Freddy King Gives You a Bonanza of Instrumentals, which is also excellent. I knew Garcia learned a ton from Freddy/Freddie but never knew the Warlocks did San-Ho-Zay until now. I did get to see the GD play Hideaway at Shoreline on 6/21/89, which was a cool surprise.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Drivin' South is killer. Just listened to the later Experience Hendrix expanded reissue of this last weekend, and all three versions of that track are fantastic. I hadn't heard the Radio One theme that Hendrix did in so long that it felt fresh and cracked me up.

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

We had this discussion in the Phish thread. Recent news to me. I think it was @trd that clued me in.

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  17. wavethatflag

Do you have Momfuku? I like Delivery Man, but I'm fairly sure I like Momfuku as much. I should listen to those back to back. I commend Momofuku to your attention. If it hasn't had your attention.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

We had a lot of fun with that one in college. When I was in college Rykodisc was cool. And they put out Old & In The Way also. I was in college for that, too.

Hey, some people get to brag about how Woodstock and high school dovetailed for them, or Woodstock and college, but I have Rykodisc. I get to brag about Rykodisc. And if you have even an inkling of a problem with that, stop yourself right there. Because if you're reading this, you're just as lost as I.

Crispy Rob, adamos and Erik B. like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Inner Ear Monitors ?

20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I remember back in about 99 or 2000 I happened upon this dive bar in the Inland Empire and some dude did a just cover of that. I was spellbound!!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. wavethatflag

What @Erik B. said. IEMs are what some musicians use for monitors on stage. But that style of ear thingy has infiltrated consumer audiophile gear. I have four different pairs of those things. They are also called earphones or sometimes earbuds. They're good for sound isolation because they simultaneously act as earplugs, but the music comes through a small hole in the ear tip. You probably know all of this, but I don't want to erase what I just wrote.

I got into them as I've depended on BART a lot, and until recently, those trains were screechingly loud, as you probably know. The new trains are really quiet, and they've worked on the old trains to make them a lot quieter. There's actually an ad on BART called "Stopping the BART screech." You've probably seen that, overlooking the heroin needles, garbage, abandoned clothing and bodily emissions.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I thought for a minute you were going to forget the poop. Then I see these all encompassing nouns.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  23. wavethatflag

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The judges don't know when Red's in town
    He keeps well hidden underground
    Everybody's acting lazy
    Falling out and hangin' 'round

My woman said, "Hey Pedro
    You're actin' crazy like a clown"
    Nobody feels like working
    Panama Red is back in town

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  24. wavethatflag

OH! I get it! Panama Red is weed!

25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Is yours really the BMG special ?

wavethatflag likes this.