Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

That is the game I am thinking of. Last clue was the DD, challenger bet big on it ($8000, as you say), got it right, and went into lead on Final Jeopardy. And (IIRC), won the game by getting the final question right and betting big enough to guarantee victory as a result.

It's likely that you are right, the show I am thinking of where both Double Jeopardy DDs were $800 clues was a different show --- later last week (meaning, last Weds., Thurs., or Fri.).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    neo123 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. htom

htom Senior Member

If you need to reference particular games and particularly recent ones, consult the J! Archive. It archives every game in detail (complete for at least the last twenty seasons or so), and generally settles arguments like this. The game daca was referring to aired on Tuesday (June 11). The game you're referring to was the very next one.

3. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Thanks.

I was actually remembering parts of both games, as it turns out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Well, now we're in the terminally boring Teen Tournament so I'm out for a while.

Veggie Boy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Too bad it can't be as good as this:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

7. Yup, our next-door neighbor is on there -- from the apartment in the same hall as ours (since we first moved to DC in 2011). We look in on each other's cats whenever one (or the other) is out of town.

J! Archive - Blythe Rodgers

Our neighbor was on two (2) episodes, back in 2012 (around this time of year).

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Rick Sanchez, Matthew Tate and daca like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why?

Big ? for Rams is Gurley's health. If he's okay, I don't see why they can't repeat! :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

That’s one of the major reasons. The second is their schedule is not favorable. Not only do they have to play their division rivals Seahawks twice, but they have to play a much improved 49ers team twice.

Plus AT Pittsburgh, Dallas, Atlanta, and don’t laugh, Cleveland.

Then they have home games against Chicago and New Orleans (talk about REVENGE games). And the Ravens. Although they should beat the Ravens, nevermore.

Additionally, Cooper Kupp is coming off of a torn ACL last November and Jared Goff isn’t Aaron Rodgers.

Not saying it can’t happen. But I am going with @GodShifter , that prediction seems very unlikely.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Gurley’s health is a consideration, yes. There are other contenders that can rival the Rams in terms of talent all of which have a less demanding schedule. I like New Orleans.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

I'd fear a declining Brees there, though the increased reliance on the run in NO seems to mitigate that.

Anyway, I don't predict the Rams will repeat, but I don't think it's a longshot! :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Good points!

And there's also the "Super Bowl loser hangover" - IIRC, SB losers have a pretty terrible record when it comes to even making the playoffs the next year!

That's it - I changed my mind. Rams going 0-16 this year! :D

Matthew Tate and daca like this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Never said it was a long shot but I don’t think it’s a lock either.

I like Brees this year plus Kamara (the best back in game with apologies to Barkley) plus Michael Thomas and a good head coach, Sean Payton.

Rick Sanchez and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. daca

I like the number of Pass Interference calls against the Rams to be in the double digits. Obviously joking, but I predict that will be a very popular prop bet. Touch a Saints receiver in the 4th Qtr, Penalty.

Also, Revenge:

[​IMG]

Rick Sanchez and GodShifter like this.
  16. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I laugh every time I watch this. It is the crowd noises that get me and Margaret Meehan about to cry as she answers "Love to Love You Baby".

Oatsdad likes this.
  17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Isn't that Klingon proverb also an English Earth saying? Just asking cause I know it's a big universe and all. Seems odd that a completely different species with different cultural references would come up with the exact same saying. Maybe they don't like their food cold either, I don't know. I wonder what other humanoid aliens have that same proverb. Or maybe Klingons are not very creative or better yet, Khan was being ironic. Yeah, it's Khan. I can hear Kirk now shouting about it. :)

Rick Sanchez and daca like this.
  18. daca

Well, now that you mention it....

[​IMG]

19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

New season started last night. I didn't see the whole thing but it looked to me like the players were emptying the board from the bottom up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Learning from James....build up more money (hopefully) before hitting the daily double.

Bern

Rick Sanchez and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Right. But James’s strategy only works if a) you’re willing to bet large sums of money when you do hit a Daily Double, and b) you get the question right. That’s not an easy thing to do consistently.

22. daca

Season 36: Return of The Trebek aka The James Holzhauer Strategy

Alex even commented today (9/10/19) that the current champion Jason has taken the James Holzhauer strategy working from the $1000 categories up looking for the Daily Doubles.

While Jason has not wagered the amounts that James did, he has prevented his opponents from finding the DDs the past two days. And is up to an 8 game win streak.

He/She who controls the DDs, usually controls the game. It will be an interesting season to say the least.

Get Well Alex!

GodShifter, Rick Sanchez and mrjinks like this.
  23. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Does anyone know when Jeopardy is going to have the Tournament Of Champions with James Holzhauer’s participation?

Rick Sanchez, daca and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. daca

No, but I guarantee it will be announced and promoted early and often. I am willing to bet it will happen during sweeps this November (probably unlikely), or most likely during sweeps next February or May.

Also, the current champ Jason employed the “Holzhauer Technique” working bottom-up, finding all 3 Daily Doubles, getting 2 correct. The only difference, he doesn’t bet like James did. (Alex once again made reference to the imitation of the playing style.)

However Jason won today in a runaway (the 2 contestants were terrible) and is now up to 9 wins in a row. Tomorrow could be 10, which would put him into some elite company among Jeopardy winners.

25. Scores of Holzhauer clones will become the norm on Jeopardy unless changes are made. This is one of those cases where a novel strategy is so much more successful that it may wreak some of Jeopardy's entertainment.

This is the equivalent of the NBA discovering three-point shots make far more sense mathematically for winning basketball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.