Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Some west coast jams!
    John lewis/Bill perkins/Jim hall/Percy heath/Chico hamilton- Grand encounter, USA 50s
    Bill perkins/Conte candoli/Pete jolly/Buddy clark/Mel lewis- the Five, USA 50s
    [​IMG]

Six String, dZp, vanhooserd and 7 others like this.
  2. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Both are great, but I have to put in a recommendation for Seeking (1969), Dauwhe (1982), and Castles of Ghana (1986) as well.

charlesp and Dahabenzapple like this.
  3. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Here is some good John Carter with Horace Tapscott if you haven't heard it before

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Moebius, garrincha and 12 others like this.
  5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The best of all of them, IMO

jay.dee and Dan Steele like this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Playing John Coltrane w Tadd Dameron

Mating Call

[​IMG]

7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Dan i have some Anthony Braxton cds from the same series which I identify by the orange text on a B and W photo. Do you or anyone know the story behind the label / series ? The music seems consistently good from the little I know.

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Hathut Records - Wikipedia

bluemooze, Dan Steele and Stu02 like this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. I think we had talked about "Collaboration" and the other album.

Erik B. and caio vaz like this.
  11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

NP Sonny Simmons "Burning Spirits"

[​IMG]
    w
    Clifford Jarvis Drums
    Cecil McBee &
    Richard David bass
    Barbara Donald trumpet
    Michael White violin

12. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Commodore Jazz Recordings III #3

Listening to Bill Coleman, Gene Krupa, Stuff Smith and Teddy Wilson

[​IMG]

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Hat Hut and Black Saint/Soul Note pretty much picked up the ball that pretty much only Impulse had been running with since the 60's and ran with it beginning in the mid to late 70's. Hat later branched out into contemporary classical as Hat Art and released landmark performances of the music of Morton Feldman, among others. Quite a few of their recordings have been mentioned along the way both here and in the Jazz Beat thread. Much of the Black Saint/Soul Note catalog has been collected into remastered multi-disc sets by artist. Hat Hut Records Ltd. Black Saint Soul Note Have to say it surprises me that someone who listens to Braxton is not already familiar with this label, but happy to share this information. Coming out of that period there were a bunch of independents, some of them artist owned and operated, specializing in music that major labels had never been that interested in. For me the person who kicked this off in many ways was Chuck Nessa who produced some of the earliest recordings of Anthony Braxton and other members of the AACM in Chicago for his own nessa records and also with Robert Koester produced this music for Delmark Records , which until then I believe had mostly specialized in recording Blues.

jay.dee, Marzz, Starwanderer and 4 others like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Don't forget the Actuel label, which issued a large number of records long before Hat Hut or Black Saint existed, and which was devoted to free jazz. I don't believe they were always giving proper royalties (don't recall the details), but they were a significant label

jay.dee likes this.
  15. ATR

ATR Senior Member

There are literally hundreds of labels. I could have mentioned FMP, ICP, BvHaast, and Ogun too FWIW. As for significance, I suppose that's in the ear of the behearer. They did issue a couple of outstanding albums by The Art Ensemble of Chicago. I think the label grew out of a festival of ex-pat avant garde musicians who were in France, a festival that I believe included the participation of Frank Zappa. The history is indeed somewhat shady, but I don't know the details. Over the years the catalog has appeared in dribs and drabs on CD. Actuel

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    jay.dee, Dan Steele and Stu02 like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Actuel was very early to promote complete freedom and did issue a large number of recordings. I would say they were the most significant in that regard. And they had more exotic graphic covers than many other labels as well. I foolishly gave away a complete run of all of their albums about 25 years ago.

Dan Steele likes this.
  17. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Pre-dawn listening today as the dog got me up early. Currently a cool morning but expecting warmer than usual weather later long with very high humidity. Have "Little Earth " by Rahim Alhaj (and friends) on the CD player. The "friends" appearing are many, including guitarist extraordinaire Bill Frisell, indie rock royalty Peter Buck, Native American renaissance man and multi-grammy winner Robert Mirabal, Cape Verde diva Maria De Barros, Chinese pipa virtuoso Liu Fang, Argentina's acclaimed Santa Fe Guitar Quartet, world-renowned percussionist Glen Velez and others. Probably closer to world music than jazz but close in spirit.

xybert and bluemooze like this.
  18. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland Big Band: The Campi Years - Historically Speaking #1

[​IMG]

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have been stuck in Braxtons early work with Circle and his 70s Arista era ( i have the vinyl) and only recently started getting into his eighties and 90s stuff. I tend to spend a long time ( a decade or more sometimes with an era if I love it ,before moving on. I just love that era so much w him that i have little inertia to move past it quickly. Im not recommending my habits its just what seems to happen. I dont have a massive collection but what I have I know well. That said , this label clearly seems really worth digging into deeper and I appreciate the info.

Jim Walker, Dan Steele and ATR like this.
  20. Here are the details from my copy submitted at Discogs. Have some material also on vinyl

]Tracklist Doleful City And Charon The Demon With Eyes Of Glowing CoalAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabDrums – Kenny ClareLeader – Francy BolandPercussion – Fats SadiPiano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin, Karl Drewo, Ronnie ScottTrombone – Erik Van Lier, Nat Peck, Otto Bredl, Åke PerssonTrumpet – Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Rick Kiefer, Shake Keane 4:08
    1-02 Plutus And Pape´Satan, Pape´Satan Aleppe 4:13
    1-03 Circling And Sinking And What A Regal Aspect He Yet Retains 4:29
    1-04 And Thence We Issued Out Again To See The Stars 2:42

Selections From The New World Session [1963)
    1-05 Get Out Of TownAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabBongos – Fats SadiDrums – Kenny ClarkeFlute – Sahib ShihabLeader [Co-Leader] – Francy Boland, Kenny ClarkePercussion – Joe Harris (4)Piano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Billy Mitchell, Karl Drewo, Ronnie ScottTrombone – Erich Kleinschuster, Frederic Keg Johnson*, Raymund Katarsinski, Ake Persson*Trumpet – Benny Bailey, Edmund Arnie*, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Ahmed Muvaffak Falay*, Roger Guérin 5:47
    1-06 Night Lady 6:11
    1-07 Sabbath Message 5:24
    1-08 I'm So Scared Of Girls 5:21
    1-09 Om Mani Padme Hum 7:32

Sketches From The 'Faces" Suite Session [1967]
    1-10 VortographAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabDrums – Kenny Clare, Kenny ClarkeLeader [Co-Leader] – Francy Boland, Kenny ClarkePiano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Don Menza, Johnny Griffin, Ronnie ScottTrombone – Erik Van Lier, Nat Peck, Ake Persson*Trumpet – Benny Bailey, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Shake Keane 3:56
    1-11 The Griffin 1:41
    1-12 Macrographs 3:47

Selections From The 'Sax' No End Sessions [1967]
    1-13 Peter's WaltzAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabBongos – Fats SadiDrums – Kenny ClarkeLeader [Co-Leader] – Francy Boland, Kenny ClarkePiano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin, Karl Drewo, Ronnie ScottTrombone – Erik Van Lier, Jiggs Whigham, Nat Peck, Ake Persson*Trumpet – Benny Bailey, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Shake Keane 5:00
    1-14 Sax No EndSoloist – Davis* 5:04
    1-15 Griff 'N' JawsSoloist – Davis* 3:32
    1-16 Lockjaw BluesSoloist – Davis* 3:02

Historically Speaking - C D 2

Selections From The 'All Smiles' And 'More Smiles' Sessions [1967 -1969]
    2-01 Lullabye Of The LeavesAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabDrums – Kenny Clare, Kenny ClarkeLeader [Co-Leader] – Francy Boland, Kenny ClarkePiano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott, Tony CoeTrombone – Erik Van Lier, Nat Peck, Ake Persson*Trumpet – Benny Bailey, Dusko Goykovich, Idrees Sulieman, Tony Fisher (2)Vibraphone – Dave Pike 4:13
    2-02 Bei Dir War Es Immer So Schön 4:18
    2-03 Johnny One Note 2:37
    2-04 Just In Time 4:23
    2-05 All Through The Night 3:01
    2-06 November Girl 6:50
    2-07 Let's Face The Music And Dance 3:23
    2-08 You Stepped Out Of A Dream 3:04
    2-09 Gloria 4:23
    2-10 When Your Lover Has Gone 4:18

Selections From The Folk Songs Sessions
    2-11 A Nice BunchAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabDrums – Kenny Clare, Kenny ClarkeLeader [Co-leader] – Francy Boland, Kenny ClarkePercussion – Fats SadiPiano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Johnny Griffin, Karl Drewo, Ronnie ScottTrombone – Erik Van Lier, Nat Peck, Torolf Mølgård*Trumpet – Benny Bailey, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Shake Keane 3:00
    2-12 Greensleaves 4:03
    2-13 Funiculi Funicula 3:28
    2-14 Nights In Warsaw 3:09

Selection From 'Gyson's Sessions' [1967]
    2-15 VolcanoAcoustic Bass – Jimmy Woode Jr.*Alto Saxophone – Derek HumbleBaritone Saxophone – Sahib ShihabDrums – Kenny Clare, Kenny ClarkeFlute – Sahib ShihabLeader [Co-Leader] – Francy Boland, Kenny ClarkePiano – Francy BolandTenor Saxophone – Don Menza, Johnny Griffin, Ronnie ScottTrombone – Erik Van Lier, Nat Peck, Åke PerssonTrumpet – Benny Bailey, Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Deuchar, Shake Keane 4:04
    2-16 The Wildman 4:56
    2-17 Sonor 3:02
    2-18 You Dig It 3:18
    2-19 New Eye

The other box is found here:
    Clarke-Boland Big Band - Blowing The Cobwebs Out

bluemooze likes this.
  21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I tried to keep it short, it's a long story that you appear to be just catching up to. Anthony Braxton - The Complete Remastered Recordings On Black Saint & Soul Note

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yikes 8 cds from that one label. He is so prolific. You really got me thinking ATR about how one balances the joy of new discovery against the joy of repeat listens to something you love. The issue with a more free jazz like Braxtons is that even though I only have maybe 6 lps his music is so layered that I can still get new ideas from a record Ive listened to 10 times. I mean its just so rich that its like the gift that keeps giving. I simply never tire of it.
    How do you balance that against a back catologue of his work that must be close to 40? Official releases?
    Its a little intimidating

23. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

So you must be right-handed?

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I only use my left hand to hold record and CD covers. My wife. however, has said to me that I must be some kind of genius

vanhooserd likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Listening again to Hank Mobley "Workout" Blue Note Japan RVG LP facsimile cd.

[​IMG]

Listening yesterday led me to remember how often my best and oldest friend and I listened to this in the early 'nineties and marveled at the music and the sound. That's what I love about the quality of my system--I can instantly connect to memories and the music, the better the system becomes the deeper and faster the connection. Reminding me yes, I'm an audiophile, but I really am driven by music. I don't know what I would do without music in my life. I'd be someone completely different, that's certain. .. .