Let it Bleed (50th anniversary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atomic Punk, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah I’ll be order that, happy days and glad I held off on Abbey Road.

Christopher B and btltez like this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Extremely disappointing, where are the outtakes, where is the 5.1 mix, why hasn't HTW been added to the album. Screw the book, screw the tat, just give me the music, an expanded single disc Blu-ray will do me.

3. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

This is brutal rock'n'roll not that other beat band from the UK ;)

4. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

When is that box set coming out and how much does it cost?

5. Gimme Shelter is my favorite Stones song, I love Love In Vain, don't care for Country Honk, I wish the Honky Tonk Women single was on the album instead.
    Otherwise, great songs, very good recording, plus Nicky Hopkins, Ry Cooder and Al Kooper, what's not to like?

Carl80 likes this.
  6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

should at least have the alamont concert.

7. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Apparently, November-December. You can only guess the price range. This is ABKCO, you know. TSMR 50th Anniversary edition was about $80. But that one had no box, extras and hardcover book. So, I would not be surprised $150 range.

8. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Isn’t the mono just a stereo fold-down? If so, I’ll pass.

CBackley, Man at C&A and Yayastone like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I guess those figurines aren't part of the box....

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. BruceEder

BruceEder Forum Resident

Since, if memory serves, there never was an original separately prepared mono mix of LET IT BLEED (if there had been a mono release at all, it would almost certainly have been a fold-down of that era's stereo master), the "mono" presentation is new, and as I doubt anyone went back to the multi-tracks on the sessions, it's likely just a fold-down of the existing, remastered original stereo mix, which is nice, but not that "exciting." And, as I would've expected, there are no outtakes from the sessions, as that would've required the approval of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and probably Charlie Watts, and for all I know even Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor. I'm glad they acknowledged the 50th for this album, but why not for AFTERMATH and BETWEEN THE BUTTONS two and three years ago, respectively?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    All Down The Line likes this.
  11. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Did it will get award as the most useless package of 2019?

12. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Because that lesser know beat group start directly from Sgt. Pepper's but not with Rubber Soul or Revolver ;)

CBackley likes this.
  13. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

At least better than the 50th Anniversary of Beggars Banquet, but unfortunately proof that ABKCO and Stones have yet to agree on a deal safeguarding the artistic value of the all important pre 1971-material. Sad sad sad.

From a 2018-interview with Joyce Smyth, the Stones manager:

Can you clarify the ownership of masters and copyrights? Is it as simple as pre-’71 they are owned and controlled by ABCKO and post-71 they are owned and controlled by the band – licensed to Universal for masters and BMG for publishing?
    It is, you’re dead right, it’s pre-’71 versus post, that’s correct.

And is acquiring the pre-’71 catalogue from ABCKO something you explore? Something that’s permanently on the agenda?
    Well, it would be lovely, wouldn’t it, to get those babies back. But it’s very complicated and probably I shouldn’t say more than that. Other than, yes, it would be lovely.

Does it make it problematic at all, having that catalog in two different places?
    I think, to be honest, because it’s been like that for so long, one is used to it. It’s sub-optimal, it’s not ideal, but we live with it. And we know how to deal with it.

You recently signed a wide-ranging deal with Universal. Can you tell us what that deal entailed and why it was a good one for you?
    We’ve worked with Universal for a decade now and they’ve been doing a terrific job at keeping the catalog fresh and alive, and we’ve done new product with them as well. The deal was up for renewal and this new one is great because now they own Eagle Rock and, of course, Bravado, which means we can have a home for the audio and the audio visual and the merch.

Also, key for me was to try and look to the future for our archive, because it is amazing having a 50-plus year archive, some of which is unseen and unheard. But it’s also quite difficult, because if you’re trying to deal with that on your own, the cost of digitization, the cost of just making sure this thing doesn’t disintegrate, and actually having it properly catalogued, it’s a big job.

Historically we’ve tried to do that on our own, but having that project under the Universal umbrella, while we still own it all, is just a huge boon, it really is.
    It doesn’t obligate us to bring out any particular content, I’ve made sure we have full control on what we bring out, in collaboration with Universal. It just means we’ve got it housed and properly looked after. And for the future I think that’s incredibly important.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  14. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

For $150 I may pass. It's one of the top 3 Stones albums. It's not Aftermath but it's number two, in my opinion of course.

Christopher B and Billy_Sunday like this.
  15. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Let’s see what’s in the Japanese edition

All Down The Line, Sean and Carl80 like this.
  16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I'll pass on this and save my money toward the Gene Clark "No Other" box set.

Gramps Tom, Man at C&A and Humbuster like this.
  17. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Does anybody have the previous two box sets “Majesty’s & Beggars’?” Are the remasters a much better upgrade? I have the 2002 remasters as well as the mono box and I think they both sound fantastic.

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Links are up at Bull Moose. $109 for the big box.

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I agree that the lack of multi-channel mix is disappointing and sad to see the 2 SACD set isn't being made available separately but I'm still excited to hear the 2019 stereo remaster and will likely go for the digital download option mentioned in the press release on Universal's site.

Bullmoose is way better than the $155 MSRP US$ price on Universal - Let It Bleed: 50th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Boxset

Sean and btltez like this.
  20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Again and again: ABKCO can’t release anything from the archives without the band’s approval. I think it’s the band’s little revenge to screw ABKCO by saying no...

21. Wow. What's the point? The mono is a fold. At least with the Beggars Banquet set there was the true mono Sympathy for the Devil and the Mick Jagger interview. Not that that particular set was any great shakes either.

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What alternative reality are you living in?:D:cheers:

23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Track list:

Let It Bleed (50th Anniversary Limited Deluxe Edition):

LP 1 – Stereo
    Side 1
    1) Gimme Shelter
    2) Love In Vain
    3) Country Honk
    4) Live with Me
    5) Let It Bleed
    Side 2
    1) Midnight Rambler
    2) You Got the Silver
    3) Monkey Man
    4) You Can’t Always Get What You Want

LP 2 – Mono
    Side 1
    1) Gimme Shelter
    2) Love In Vain
    3) Country Honk
    4) Live with Me
    5) Let It Bleed
    Side 2
    1) Midnight Rambler
    2) You Got the Silver
    3) Monkey Man
    4) You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Hybrid Super Audio CD 1 – Stereo
    1) Gimme Shelter
    2) Love In Vain
    3) Country Honk
    4) Live with Me
    5) Let It Bleed
    6) Midnight Rambler
    7) You Got the Silver
    8) Monkey Man
    9) You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Hybrid Super Audio CD 2 – Mono
    1) Gimme Shelter
    2) Love In Vain
    3) Country Honk
    4) Live with Me
    5) Let It Bleed
    6) Midnight Rambler
    7) You Got the Silver
    8) Monkey Man
    9) You Can’t Always Get What You Want

7” vinyl single – (Mono)
    Side A – Honky Tonk Women
    Side B – You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Rolling Stones’ Classic ‘Let It Bleed’ For Lavish 50th Anniversary Reissue

24. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Not really. There is no 'day and night' difference between 2002 and 2017/2018 remaster.

bobcat and All Down The Line like this.
  25. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Great, great album from start to finish imo. But without any extra tracks can't see buying this. Have multiple pressings, including early ones, the 2002 abkco and the mono in the vinyl box set. And this from Bob Ludwig - “When we did the first Let It Bleed remaster in 2002, our intention was to pay homage to the original work. When we did this new version, the purpose was to make it as great as it could possibly sound." - doesn't motivate me. Sounds like pure marketing doublespeak. So the 2002 wasn't intended to sound great, but to 'pay homage' and its this one that's really meant to sound great?

Price isn't horrible at $109 but not enough bang for my bucks. Maybe if rave reviews on sound come in and I spot a set for < $80 I'd be tempted, but not itching to pull the trigger anytime soon!