Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Longer initial load time.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Will there be a 1LP reissue with this remastering?

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The single LP version (without DMSR) was already reissued for Record Store Day last year.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

*raises hand* Single edits are a crucial part of the experience for me and for many others--I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought the singles as well as the LP if there were mix/edit differences.

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Oh gotcha. Thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Gutted at the absence of Xtraloveable.....

....But getting Do Yourself A Favor in HQ quality almost makes up for it.

"Do I hear some chicken scratchin??"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Yes, any properly done archival release of an album will have a disc of single versions, and if you're doing that, you might as well be as comprehensive as possible. This material isn't being included at the expense of any outtakes. The alternative to having all those different versions of songs on that disc wasn't having a bunch of exciting outtakes instead, but having a shorter disc of only the most obvious tracks (e.g. the four US A-side edits, the three non-album b-sides, and the 'Corvette' 12" mix). I'm delighted they've gone to the trouble of gathering all those other variants and made it complete.

This also gives you the opportunity to compile a single-album version of 1999 that doesn't omit any tracks. Something in the Water is only four minutes long anyway, and the only other full length track, 'International Lover', is the closer.

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This looks excellent! Modelled on the Purple Rain Deluxe, so there's a bit of continuity, but more of everything, extra disc of outtakes, extra disc of live material, and seemingly better executed with regards to having outtakes from defined time spans (Purple Rain was a little bit random with what was included).
    Remember that for Purple Rain the main album was alredy remastered under Prince's supervison, so they had to use that (butchered) version, the other two discs of the set had great mastering by Bernie Grundman, so there is no reason to think that this wouldn't be like them.
    I am with the crowd that loves single edits and think they are essential. But one thing I don't understand, and I said this about Purple Rain as well, is why they group multiple versions of the same song together after one another when they don't have to? Why not instead group all regular 7" singels and their respective B-sides first, then 12" versions (which there is only one here, but just an example), and then, in this case, the mono/promo versions, then the "video" versions, etc. so that it is more listenable and not just an archivist excercise. I also didn't know there was, or hadn't noticed, any diffeence in the music to the videos (different edits maybe), but if there is going to be a disc devoted to singles they may as well fill it up, this album obviously doesn't have extended 12" versions since the longest versions are already the ones on the album, so it's good that they used whatever else they had. Like it's been said, it's not like we would have gotten extra outtakes on the last half of that disc instead.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I want to agree with you, but the sequencing is bad. When would you ever want to listen to that bunch of edits? If they had put the 12" version and the 4 b-side tracks as the first 5 tracks, at least you could have ejected the disc after that. But they have put two edits of the same track in pairs! I can't imagine anyone want to listen to ste stereo edit of "1999" and then immediately the mono edit as the next track. Same for "Let's Pretend…"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

99thfloor and I typed our answers at the same time :)

Matthew Tate and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Great minds think alike. :)

The funny thing is that with Purple Rain the leaked tracklist actually did what you and me suggest, had all the 7" A- & B-sides first, and then the 12" versions A & B, and no song was repeated directly, so they actually had this idea, but then on the released version they had changedit into this same thing as here, grouped tracks according to song instead, so someone obviously thought it was better, I can't imagine why.

12. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

Can't wait for this. 29th November seems along way off.

Not yet seen a price for the 10lp set yet

I might go for the CD Set, just forked out £100 for Emancipation and Chaos on vinyl.

D-rock and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

This is an interesting tidbit I see in an article on Pitchfork about the reissue:
    Prince’s 1999 Gets Deluxe Reissue With Unreleased Tracks | Pitchfork
    I'm now wondering what the relation is between this album and Duff McKagan? It's not a name you would expect associated with this release. Not that I know Andrea Swensson and Duane Tudahl, but their associations seem more logical.
    So, anyone knows? :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Duff McKagan is a massive Prince fan, and a bestselling writer as well.

He has often cited 1999 as his all time favourite album, and a record that, in a roundabout way, motivated him to move from Seattle to L.A in the early 80's (where he met the GnR guys, and the rest is history).

15. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

My problem with them is that they stick B-sides in between repetitive issues of a single song, I'd rather have them one after the other. This is easily remedied by making a playlist and so I guess it saves wear-n'-tear on the hard copy. I never play the Purple Rain disc of single edits.

Freek999, Tom Schreck and KariK like this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love the cover art as well! I don't think people need to fret about it as I assume inside the box it will include the original cover of 1999 as that is Disc 1 of the set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Looks like a very good set ... It's a shame they didn't look to do a surround mix though. Prince could have some excellent surround mixes

18. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

How they’re doing it how i sequence my playlists, and how I did my own 1999 deluxe a few years ago. I like having my different versions side by side so that all of the differences are easily comparable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Thanks! I never knew that, obviously. :) Nor that he's a bestselling writer. So his essay might be interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. setalpgninnpsekil

setalpgninnpsekil Forum Resident

Bummed that Extraloveable is missing. It's probably my favorite vault track.

Osato, Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I haven't pulled out the CD in a while, but from what I recall the DMSR volume was low....

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

For anyone curious, Duane Tudahl wrote the *fabulous* recent deep dive into the Purple Rain era (83-84) studio sessions. Highly recommended. His next book will cover 85-86 so has the potential to be even more fascinating.

Prince and the Purple Rain Era Studio Sessions

steelydanguy and Sammy Banderas like this.
  23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

There will be no DL card in the vinyl package

CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I hope the '82 version of Possessed is that version with acoustic guitar and synths.

Matthew Tate, DeeThomaz and hiterss like this.
  25. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Thanks for that link! That's a book I'll put on my to-get list. Funny, a few months ago I bought another book about Prince's work (the name escapes me for a moment, haven't read it yet). And while the link to Google Books is great, I prefer to have a physical copy. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.