Beastie Boys x4 vinyl reissues incl. Paul's Boutique x2LP 4th Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Very interested in the Paul's Boutique x2 LP, but like all reissues I think I'll sit it out until reviews. Would be great if they where both 45rpm discs. I guess it'll all be in the cut! Lets see.

There was a 20th anniversary PB release, so no idea how it compared to the original. I still have my day-one copy and its an artefact very close to my heart.

Beastie Boys on Twitter

Hello everybody! On October 4th we're releasing limited edition 180 gram colored vinyl versions of four LPs/EPs, but you can pre-order them now at the online shop. Plus there's some new merch.

Beastie Boys 2019 Vinyl Reissues

Also available at indie record stores in select markets and on black vinyl.

[​IMG]

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The original release was a single LP in either a 4 or 8 panel gatefold. The 10 year anniversary on Grand Royal was cut to 4 sides at 33-1/3 with the 8-panel gatefold cover. The 20th was back to a single LP digitally remastered. The 75 Years of Capitol Release was back to 2x LPs. It'll be the 75 Years of Capitol in Purple vinyl. It's not going to be 45 rpm.

PantherInCrime likes this.
  3. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

It’s the first two disc release since 1999, the Grand Royal 10th anniversary edition. As I understand it, the original sounds best to most people. I have the 20th, which sounds ok but have no other editions to compare it to. I will be getting this in the hopes that the music will have more room to breathe. One day I might splurge on an original.

4. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Interested in the Paul's Boutique. Have never owned a copy

5. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I didn't know The 75 Years of Capitol Release was 2lp. I have the 20th and it sounds good. Nice bass.

Has anyone compared the 20th to the 2lp?

Honestly, I'm not sure how much the sound can improve for an album that is mostly samples.

Porkpie likes this.
  6. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I agree - the 20th anniversary vinyl is darn good, the bass is boomin! I had an original US pressing to compare and the 20th beats it in my book.

I’ll check out the 2LP version as well, because it’s maybe my favorite album of all-time. Amazon says it’s ships in early October. But it’s also a fair question, as you said, to ask how much better this sample-dominated album can really sound.

7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

It will probably never happen, but I wish they would release a purely instrumental version of this album. Surely the Dust brothers would have been printing off instrumental versions of those tracks, in the mixing room, after spending so much time working on them, correct? That's the tape I really want to hear, the instrumental roughs, remastered and pressed at 45 and all that.

8. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

I have the Grand Royal 2xLP and it sounds fantastic! I've nothing to compare it to but it really sounds great.
    BTW the Grand Royal says "mastered by Capitol" in the dead wax, so not sure if Capitol 75th 2xLP is a different cut or not

There are mp3s of the "show vinyl" from the tour. Basically instrumental versions. Google Beastiemixes and "paul's boutique show vinyl". Not sure if it's all the album cuts

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  9. PantherInCrime

PantherInCrime Forum Resident

In my opinion, the 10th anniversary Grand Royal of edition of Paul's Boutique is by far the best that I've heard. I have an original and a 20th anniversary as well.

10. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Paul's Boutique "show vinyl" is a strange bird... PM me. I never knew about Capitol 75 years vinyl.

11. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

My original 8 panel gatefold Paul's Boutique sounds ok but is very very quiet. Plus it's almost impossible to get it out of the plastic outer sleeve, so I never play it anymore.

12. englishbob

Did anyone get this today?

Porkpie likes this.
  13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I only have Paul's Boutique on CD so am interested to hear how this version sounds compared to the other reissues

14. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I have the color Root Down EP on order. It's shipping today. I hope this means there are more reissued 12" singles in the pipeline.

15. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I’ll be interested to see if it’s the same mastering as the Capital 75th 2xLP from 10 years ago. My guess would be yes.

16. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

That was single LP only, wasn't it?

FWIW, the Discogs listing for the new European pressing says the lacquer was cut by Ray Janos. I'm not sure if he's cut a previous version and there's some misleading copy/pasting going on but it sounds promising if not. I could probably be persuaded to upgrade from the 75th even though it sounds surprisingly good squished on there.

17. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I picked up the standard black release of Paul's Boutique and Root Down. They are pressed really nicely, and have P-USA in the dead wax. Spinning side one of PB now, and it sounds pretty decent from what I remember. I wish I had other copies to compare it to.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  18. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

The Capital 75th anniversary from 2017 was 2LP like this new 2019 reissue.

I compared this new 2019 2LP pressing to the 2009 single LP reissue and found the 2019 slightly better. A little more forward and in your face, bass is about the same.

I’d like to hear if anyone can compare to the 2017 2LP to the 2019 2LP to see if they are indeed the same mastering.

19. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Oh OK, the '10 years ago' part threw me.

Are you sure the 2017 was though? Unless I'm missing something Discogs has that down as a single and suggests the last double LP was from 1998. I've never seen a modern double LP version anywhere.

20. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

My bad! Getting old. You're right - 2017 looks like a single disc too. I probably should also have read the hype sticker on the 2019 issue that says "first time on double vinyl in 30 years" ‍♂️

That 2017 issue does have really good reviews on Discogs and was cut by Ray Janos. Can't see any info in the deadwax on the 2019 issue except for the Pallas "P.USA" stamp that was mentioned above tho.

21. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I picked up Root Down, as it's the only one I'm missing. I was hoping to read some reviews here before opening mine, but maybe I'll be the guinea pig if I have some time tonight....

22. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I was able to sneak down and play side A of Root Down. Sounds excellent! Perfectly pressed, green vinyl, P.USA as well as Ian Sefchick's initials and Mastered By Capitol in the matrix. Came in nice poly-lined sleeve with insert. Nice!

Naughty Chord and englishbob like this.
  23. englishbob

mmmm not been a fan of his stuff. He did the Janes Addiction box and Missy Elliot's "Supa Dupa Fly" reissues, and they miss a certain bit of top end. He seems to like to roll off the treble into the middle.

24. englishbob

From Beastie Boys Facebook page

For those of you that pre-ordered the colored vinyl reissues. Due to a production problem at the pressing plant, these versions of Paul's Boutique and To The 5 Boroughs will now be shipping on Wednesday. We expect local record stores to get these titles by the end of next week.

We’re very sorry for the delay.

For Beastie Boys online orders: If you have any additional questions please contact Kings Road [email protected].

- the management

25. englishbob

Just to confirm with you on PB's deadwax inscriptions, this says P-USA? Any other distinguishing initials? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.