Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It is high (maximised), this is only on the US CDs.

2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I stand corrected. :tiphat:

3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

all the snowflakes at Prince.org are theorizing how to edit the "I'm sorry, but I'm just goignto have to are you" passage from the original recording . . . it's laughable. It is what it is, and shouldn't be touched at all. That's like editing the rape scene out of Straw Dogs. It isn't real... it isn't documenting a snuff--rape. I'd rather have the song not included than cater to delicate sensibilities who need their safe spaces. We have the circulating bootleg which can be inserted in any playlist (along with "Lust U Always") in decent quality.

The other thing people seem to forget is that Prince didn't seem to offend the numerous women he worked with throughout his career with his racy lyrics. They worked with him in droves in fact. He wasn't a creep, he didn't rape or molest or make unwanted advances on women, so clearly he should be given a pass for these songs. Misguided? sure . . but rock-n'-roll is peppered with many songs of questionable morals, much sang by lead singers of questionable morals.

STOP TRYING TO THINK OF WAYS TO CENSOR MUSIC!

4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The RSD release is missing more than that. It's missing DMSR, Automatic, All The Critics Love You In New York and International Lover.

noname74 likes this.
  5. ad180

It's off topic, but I'm glad the moderators merge threads and duplicates get closed. For instance, we've been discussing 1999 deluxe since August 3, and I didn't see any of the new threads that were created after the announcement yesterday. So I'm glad that we are ALL part of the conversation. :)

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Feel better?

CBackley, 905, Ben Adams and 4 others like this.
  7. masswriter

absolutely

never better

Jimmy Agates and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Amazon UK have the MP3 audio download set at £54.99 :sigh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The RSD track list of 1999 mimics the one LP version of the album that was released in the EU in 1983.

Seen here:

Prince - 1999

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. ad180

Yes... I guess they didn't think the UK could handle a double album? I sold my copy in the late 80s, it's just not the same listening experience as the double album. I hate the flow of tracks on the single version.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Exactly. With this logic, Frank Zappa's entire discography would be banned from music industry altogether in no time. Jesus.

12. masswriter

there's far worse by way of implicating rape and violence to be heard in gangster rap, but nobody raises red flags over that.

Jimmy Agates, Sean, opiumden and 3 others like this.
  13. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

The most through book ever. Increcible.

14. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

This looks amazing. Between this, the Pink Floyd boxset, and the Abbey Road anniversary release, this is getting to be an expensive fall.

Sean, Lance LaSalle and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

People forget it was "Darling Nikki" whose lyrics sparked the PMRC censorship labeling. Those battles, and the people who fought against censorship and for freedom of speech are the ones who should be upset in the modern efforts to sanitize everything for tender ears. It's like the Hays code all over again, except people are doing their own self-censoring for fear of enraged tweets.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

I’m really looking forward to this set :righton:
    Two vault cd’s, two live shows! A, hopefully well done, remastered set and all the edits (could have lived without the mono stuff).

... and this year :agree:
    Looks like a busy couple of months for us.
    Just after the Originals cd (still loving it), we have the Versace mixtape on cd, Prince’s autobiography, Morris Day’s autobiography and now this super deluxe set :goodie:
    ( and for all the vinyl lovers, lots of purple vinyl sets).

Any news about the packaging?
    I hope to see a real box set, like a carton physical box with a lit and the cd’s and booklets placed nicely in it :). Not something like Purple Rain...

Freek999 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Oh, my God. Though less than thrilled about the 7 inch mixes -- does anybody really want those?-- this set looks amazing!!!!:goodie::goodie::goodie::wiggle::pineapple:

They are doing it right.

Jimmy Agates, Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

The single mixes are a huge draw for me.

19. Lance LaSalle

AS soon as I wrote that I knew someone would want them!.

Matthew Tate and hiterss like this.
  20. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

I'm not the first.

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Lance LaSalle

Well, how sad! It's always nice to be the first! I'm sure you won't be the last, though!

Matthew Tate and 905 like this.
  22. You must not have been reading this thread. More people want the 7" singles than not. It's a must for most.

23. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Yes just saw that...I'm guessing the UK CD version will be around £70. Goodness knows what they'll price the vinyl at.

24. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

"I have listened to ALL the bonus ‘vault’ audio on this set and there’s some incredible songs and recordings on here, including the early 1982 version of ‘Possessed’ (the later recording has already been a bonus track on the Purple Rain reissue), the full unedited six minute version of ‘Delirious’, an recording of B-side ‘Irresistible Bitch,’ live in the studio takes of ‘International Lover’ (sung without the falsetto) and ‘How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore?’ and of course loads of completely unreleased songs such as ‘Money Don’t Grow On Trees,’ ‘Rearrange,’ ‘Bold Generation,’ ‘Purple Music,’ ‘You’re All I Want’ and, er, ‘******’. Most of this was recorded in and around 1982."

Prince / 1999 super deluxe reissue offers a wealth of unreleased material | superdeluxeedition Prince / 1999 super deluxe reissue offers a wealth of unreleased material | superdeluxeedition

25. masswriter

What is the song "******" like?

Matthew Tate and Dark Horse 77 like this.