Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Now on to Tina Brooks "True Blue" Blue Note Japan RVG LP facsimile cd.

[​IMG]

A superb session.

I'm really enjoying revisiting and listening to new arrivals in the Japanese RVG series. I love the packaging. And I gave up seeking these out because it was very hard to get them to sound right in my system. But. . . in the last few years I have been enjoying a component (the Decware ZROCK2) that is billed as a "bass restorer" and is a tube based preamp that has two adjustable EQ curves and really has allowed me to tailor the sound and enjoy many recordings and "mastering styles" I couldn't before. Now these Japanese RVG LP facsimile cds can sound very good and I'm on the scout for them again. Found 3 Donald Byrd titles reasonably priced that are on their way to me now.

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

It's true. There is more recorded music than there is time for anyone to listen to all of it. Possibly even more recorded Braxton. Anthony Braxton

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

A number of real favorites on page 1904 for me.

xybert likes this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Wow over 300 releases listed there. Nuts.

Erik B. likes this.
  5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Are you a discogs newbie? Good resource. I've had good luck in their marketplace also.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Would that be this series?: 24 Bit By RVG

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

No i use discogs. Just hadn’t bothered checking the size of his catalogue..

8. Lonson

Yes

Dan Steele and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Way more than 40 releases -- more than 50 in this millennium alone!

Very interesting perspective. I have a similar experience with Braxton's work, in terms of a lot of it being so full of ideas that even one recording or performance can provide a lot to listen to, over and over and moving on to the next album or the next phase of his career can almost require totally reorienting yourself. That's true of a lot of music and art too obviously. My wife has been going through Moby Dick again, a book I've read start to finish at least 3 times, and in piece many many more times than that, and every time there's something else I get out of it, or she was calling out things and reading passages to me that I hadn't remembered or hadn't jumped out to me before. And with a lot of artists -- like Braxton -- the sheer volume of available recorded music makes it even more daunting. Frankly, from a fan's POV, and from a marketing one, I'm not sure having so much material out there is ideal. It's too much for anyone to take in, and it becomes confusing and, as you say, a little intimidating to approach a discography like Braxton's.

10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

The Commodore Jazz Recordings III #5

Listening to Jonah Jones & Wild Bill Davis

[​IMG]

Moebius, Lonson and bluemooze like this.
  11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Herbie Hancock: Speak Like A Child (RVG remaster)

[​IMG]

12. Lonson

Another Japanese RVG, Kenny Dorham "Whistle Stop"

[​IMG]

Quite an interesting session, and KD and Mobley always sound good together, with a long history of playing side by side.

Followed by
    [​IMG]
    Joe Henderson "Mode for Joe" Blue Note, US RVG cd this time.

13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Lonson and others answered your question so I didnt reply. If you like Dark Tree, it led me back to this Horace Tapscott date from the late 60s with Arthur Blythe on sax. Title track is pushing my comfort zone but I ended up loving it, and also has an early version of Dark Tree, the song. Was out of print for a few years but there has been a Japan reissue that looks to be available still.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, peter1, garrincha and 8 others like this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Other than packaging, are there any other differences between the domestic and Japanese RVGs?

Dan Steele likes this.
  15. Lonson

There's also this reissue (which oddly is not the version available from amazon linked on this page) that is FANTASTIC. A quality reissue in every way--superior cardboard glossy cover, excellent vivid sound.

Horace Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened — International Phonograph Inc.

charlesp, Stu02 and bluemooze like this.
  16. Lonson

Yes. The masterings are generally not the same. The Japanese pre-dated the US series and they had different producers overseeing the two series. Sonically many are distinctly different.

What makes them work for me now is an EQ device I have in my system that seems to compensate for their flaws and I am really digging the sound.

17. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I believe that is the 2014 cd, which is what I own and pictured above. It does sound fantastic. Out of print but prices were much higher before the 2017 reissue came out, and now are around $30 +shipping on discogs. The 2017 Japan version (Solid Records) is only $10 on CdJapan or $13 on Amazon, and looks a lot like the 2014 one, with the Flying Dutchman logo, hence the confusion.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Lonson

Yes I think you posted the same one, just was trying to bring attention to International Phonography, their reissues are amazing. I wish there were more; if they have a reissue it's easily the best digital option. The owner is having a hard time getting licensing now, which is a sad state of affairs as he had a few great ones planned that probably won't see the light of day now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    jay.dee and Dan Steele like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Lots of bad news like this on the reissue front across genres.

jay.dee, Dan Steele and Lonson like this.
  20. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

I don't recall titles but I liked all those I heard. I learned of Don Ellis from a shipmate in the Navy who had done session work on various instruments prior to getting a low number in the Selective Service draft lottery. He was also a degreed Electrical Engineer and turned down a Musician's Mate offer, preferring electronics in his position at the time. He had session credits for electric bass with Elvis and trombone with Barbara Streisand.

Dan Steele likes this.
  21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I don't know if anyone's mentioned The John Carter & Bobby Bradford Quartet* And The Horace Tapscott Quintet* - West Coast Hot . The Carter Bradford is not the complete album but the price is right.

bluemooze and Dan Steele like this.
  22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

While we’re talking Horace Tapscott I really like this 90s album, aiee! the Phantom. Strange name but is pretty straight ahead modal jazz in quintet format. Workman bass, Andrew Cyrille drums, Abraham Burton alto, Marcus Belgrave trumpet. To the Great House and Mothership have great grooves. In the fifth edition Penguin Guide to jazz (sadly Tapscott doesn’t get an entry in later editions) the author says that Burton didn’t bring any fresh ideas to the table - I disagree completely. I’ve probably posted this before but there has been a lot of Tapscott in the thread recently with his pan Afrikan Arkestra reissues so thought this deserved a mention.

Edit: I saw Burton live at the 2018 Chicago jazz fest playing with Louis Hayes group, wonderful performer.

[​IMG]

markp, charlesp, xybert and 5 others like this.
  23. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

No one had mentioned that yet, I had that on my buy list for awhile until I got the IP/Flying Dutchman Tapscott cd. It seems to have the whole Giant is Awakened, and you get the Carter/Bradford bonus. However, I am guessing it wont sound as good, just speculation on my part though.

24. Bobby Buckshot

This line of thinking and critical writing really gets on my nerves; and that "no new ideas" is such a trope in jazz criticism. I usually ignore it as well as disagree with it pretty much all the time. The writer betrays their own bias and limited scope of thinking when they print such a cliche.

25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Now I'm listening to The Way Ahead from 5 Original Albums by Archie Shepp.
    There could be no better end.
    Shepp is probably at his peak and the combo is very accomplished with a fabolous Grachan Moncur III, composer of Frankenstein, one of the most intriguing themes of those years.
    Interesting the comparison with the version played on his first solo album for BN featuring an authentic Dream Team Jazz.
    Walter Davis Jr. supports wonderfully with his harsh and dissonant phrasing.
    Beaver Harris is replaced by the great Roy Haynes on Fiesta and the unmissable hommage to Duke Ellington with Sophisticated Lady.
    Finally two bonus tracks from Kwanza with the great Dave Burrell and Walter Booker on double bass.
    At the end of my listenings, I can tell to have done a great purchase enhancing my collection.