Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I have not seen a thread like this here. I stand corrected if I am wrong.
    A song-by song thread including every album and single (a-and b-side officially released from Paul McCartney solo and Wings. Of course in chronological order). I am thinking all the way from the release of McCartney all the way to now. Seems like a big project-let s see if anyone is interested.
    I am starting here with the first track on McCartney- The lovely Linda
    Yeah-this short song is the very first song on Pauls very first solo-album(don t count the sound-track Family way).
    Personally I enjoy this little song massively-have done ever since album was released. Of course it s a bit silly and obviously unfinished. However- in it s own way it s extremely charming and once heard-never forgotten. This was during a period in Pauls life were he seemingly without effort-could pick catchy melodies out of thin air. Imo-this is a fitting start to McCartneys post-beetles career goin in the total opposite direction than most
    other artists at the time. Instead of making a heavy produced big statement Paul went for a low-key, duo it all
    thing with lyrics celebrating the small stuff in life.
    Lovely Linda is a very minor song but as such full of charm, a catchy melody and actually the start of Paul post-beetles career
    "The Lovely Linda" By Paul McCartney - YouTube

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I could be wrong, but I think someone already did this. Even so, bring it on!:righton:

JonnyKidd likes this.
  3. Bemagnus

I didn t find a song by song thread while searhing. Ss I said in the op I stand corrected if I missed it

JonnyKidd likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Lovely Linda is a lovely little song. Shows where his heart and priorities were.

5. Bemagnus

Also with a great, catchy little melody

JonnyKidd, The MEZ and Gramps Tom like this.
  6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"The Lovely Linda" is a pleasant, unpretentious album opener. One thing that really jumps out from Paul's first couple solo albums is how madly, deliriously in love in love he was.

7. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

5/5 for The Lovely Linda. In it's own way, a perfect summary of the album.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I would have preferred ' The Lovely Linda ' to close the album a la ' Her Majesty ' on ' Abbey Road '
    I love his first solo album( it's my favourite of his ) but would have liked a stronger opening track.

9. Bemagnus

True-in a way a summary of many things those like me like about McCartney and others dis-like.
    Just like the whole McCartney album this is such s deeply personal piece yet easy to relate to

10. Bemagnus

It s so short-it s more Loke an introduktion before the album kicks into gear with the absolutely wondruous That would be something

JonnyKidd and ausgraeme like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Don't worry about it.
    I'm often directed to threads that are are caked in cobwebs. Some people don't seem to understand other people aren't interested in these old threads.
    Don't revive the past. Make the present.
    Uh...oh, sorry, I drifted way off topic ! We now return to our regular program.

yesteryear, JonnyKidd, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

'That Would Be Something ' would be a good opener.
    Damn , I'm gonna play this album right now ! Join me !

13. BZync

BZync Senior Member

There have been a number of McCartney deep dives because of his releases within the past year. I do have a memory of discussing the McCartney album fairly recently. As it is not part of last years bunch of box sets, it makes me think we've done a song by song within the last few years. But if you decide to go forward, I'll come along for the ride.

After we review the individual songs will there be a discussion of the McCartney album as a whole? I think a number of McCartney albums may be considered greater than the sun of their parts.

I agree that The Lovely Linda may have made a great surprise closer (like The End). As an opening track, while charming, it sets the expectation that this album will be largely unfinished and unpolished - which, for the most part, is true.

DavidP and Crimson Witch like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Lovely Linda - charming album intro. I'll give it a 4.

Crimson Witch and Glass Candy like this.
  15. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

The Lovely Linda is so short and sweet. A great little album opener. I love Paul’s giggle at the end.

5/5 cause why not?

16. BZync

BZync Senior Member

omikron likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

I thought that was the lovely Linda herself who was giggling !

18. Bemagnus

Yeah-that’s why I thought it would be fun to take it a bit further. There are lot s if songs to discuss
    :)

omikron and BZync like this.
  19. Bemagnus

Second song
    That would be something
    I love this track to death. It s simple but with a great drive. Paul’s vocals are gorgeous and the sheer simplicity is genius. It s monotonous and yet with an incredible drive. Actually it did not sound like anything else at the time. It s obvious Paul did this for his own enjoyment and didn t give a second thought about what others would think about it.

JonnyKidd, Sean, The MEZ and 8 others like this.
  20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Cool. I'm with you.

Just one request - don't go too quickly. Many song-by-song threads do a song per day.

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

That Would Be Something - just two songs in and I can see this is going to be a challenge for me. I like this track but it's not a completed song. It's just an idea that was never worked into a composition. It's a testament to Paul's impeccable musical instincts that its as compelling as it is. But we are two tracks into his debut album and haven't heard a fully written song. That's a problem.

JonnyKidd, CoachD and RAJ717 like this.
  22. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

That Would Be Something.

Great little raw roots jam.

4/5

JonnyKidd, jmxw, DavidP and 1 other person like this.
  23. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

The Lovely Linda - This song is too short for me to either love it or hate it. It’s just sort of there. It has a nice melody, and the squeaky door and Paul’s giggling at the end show you what kind of album McCartney is gonna be. Simple, laid back, not trying to make any statements beyond “this is who I am and who I’m with now.”

That Would Be Something - I’ve never gotten the appeal for this song. To me it’s the weakest McCartney track with vocals. It’s just too repetitive for me. The “mouth percussion” is cool though.

24. Bemagnus

It s a very inpressionistic piece-both the lyrics and the music. That s one of the things I enjoy about it- and still do almost 50 years after hearing it the first time

JonnyKidd, Leslie K Crosby and JDeanB like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

But that's the charm and beauty of this album.
    It's not slick. It's not polished. It sure ain"t ' Abbey Road '!
    I bought this when it was released and loved it on first listen. It didn't matter at all to me that it was so simple and 'primitive'. I was 14 , just getting into music and thought it was terrific.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.