Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A Polk center channel speaker for...

• L400 center channel $1,799
    Yikes!

From a company like Polk, that is super expensive for a center channel speaker, A tower for $2k is the same price as the LSiM707's were previously.

I was a concerned that Polk was going to go the big box store consumer route and abandon the high end audiophile market that large cabinet speakers are associated with.

I guess I was wrong, gratefully so.

displayname likes this.
  2. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Mono only system?

4. RhodesSupremacy

Yes sir, been mono only for 3 or 4 years now.

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I recently added a mono table, but you're hardcore!

I assume you do play stereo records, yes? I'm interested in where in the chain you convert from stereo to mono.

displayname likes this.
  6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Several weeks from now and due to several circumstances, I'll be moving out of my rental place as I've bought a house with a nicely finished basement that I'll be using as my dedicated music listening room.

I'll be posting some photos of my new place once the dust settles. Wish me luck with hauling my audio equipment, records, CDs, and cassettes.

Tullman, Dave, Shoalcove and 17 others like this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Congratulations on your new house! I can’t wait to see your new dedicated space!

8. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Good luck in your new home.

displayname and nosliw like this.
  9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Somehow I see in your near future a lot of personal expenses on things you don't really need but will make you smile.

I hope you'll enjoy the challenge of moving in and setting a listening room, I know I would.

nosliw likes this.
  10. elmoe

elmoe Forum Resident

Here is my humble setup:

[​IMG]

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

12. RhodesSupremacy

All sources get summed before the integrated. I used to use amplifiers with built in mono switches but when using only one speaker, one quickly learns these switches are less than perfect.

BluTorch and eflatminor like this.
  13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I agree that these look like a killer bang for the buck. But you'd better bring a big boy amp to pair with them. The new line is mostly mid 80db's for sensitivity and have below 4ohm dips. I won't be shocked if these speakers are routinely shown with amps that cost more than the speakers.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Congrats to you.

Just over a year ago we moved into a house with a large basement. It wasn't my original plan, but after a month I moved my equipment in to the basement. It took me the better part of a year to come to grips with a space 4 times as large as my previous room. I wish you luck.

Manimal, SandAndGlass and nosliw like this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I have a feeling that it would be the case later down the road since I've been wanting actual speakers for my stereo system. In the meantime, I do have my parents' old Hitachi floor-standing speakers from the early 80s (made in Canada!) that I could use. Otherwise, I may look into getting a pair of brand new or used speakers in the future.

I may also decorate my listening area with some cool stuff like my posters and framed pictures as well. :)

SandAndGlass and Ed Hughes like this.
  16. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

In the early 90s my girlfriend's brother who lived at home with mom & dad, got his first 'good job' and the first thing he bought was a pair of those 18(?)driver Polk's in the in the ad there. Amusing part of this is that his bedroom was about the size of a small college dorm, maybe 8' x 8' or maybe 8' x 10'. Those things were monsters but I still thought it was cool as hell that he had them. Poor parents; All he played were the first three Metallica records.

17. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Didn't they like Metallica?

Madness and sacsongs like this.
  18. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Which still are... The only Metallica records worth playing :righton:!

19. bever70

[​IMG]
    Added a small screen, connected to my Cocktailaudio x40. Makes it a lot easier to browse my flac library from my sweetspot and this way I don't have to have the big screen on all the time.

20. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

How do you like that Cocktail? Been looking at implementing some sort of network streamer/player.

PhilBiker and bever70 like this.
  21. timind

timind phorum rezident

Took me a second to find it.

PhilBiker, bever70 and Galactus2 like this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Change sides, grab a refill. Not a bad arrangement at all.

I would share the noise concerns others have raised, but maybe it’s not as bad as some of us are imagining?

Ezd and gritty like this.
  23. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Me too, and once I did see it, I immediately knew he had better eyesight than I do to be able to read that from a listening distance.

Nice looking set up, though.

bever70 and timind like this.
  24. gritty

gritty Forum Resident

Thanks.
    yea luckily no noise issues at all now.

Short story, long, I knew I was taking a bit of a gamble with this design/setup but with so little space to work with, my options were limited. I’ve had the bar itself with built-in fridge for a good 15 years or so, but the cabinets that house the speakers(and records) were only added a couple years back. Initially had some acoustic feedback with old turntable sitting directly on bar top.
    Placing vibrapod Isolator feet under speakers, and platform under turntable cured that.
    Ran into footfall issues when I added the Thorens, which knew I would going into it, so finally mounted to wall. Luckily fridge has never been an issue, super quiet, so it’s all good.
    Got my beer, got my records. I’m on a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

25. bever70

I take that as a compliment as the whole point was to have it as unobtrusive as can be. It is our living room after all. At first I wanted to install it just above the left TT, on the wall. But that just looked awfull.
    @Galactus2 : Thanks! it's a 12,5" screen, big enough for me (I'm at 9ft, 3mtr). I could control everything from my mobile through the app, but I just prefer to use the remote.

Galactus2 and timind like this.