Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Agreed. Give it time.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I was also 14 at the time and it was stuff like That would be something that turned me on to Macca after the Beatles broke up. It s just so simple but also very human. At the time unique with the simplicity and total lack of pretentions

3. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I do agree. That is the reason why I referred to some McCartney albums being greater than the sun of their parts. I like this album way out of proportion to the quality of the individual songs. That Would Be Something is not much of a song at all. Why, then, do I like it as much as I do?

4. Bemagnus

Because it s a great sound and groove. Just like much of the album I would call it impressionistic more than un-finished.

5. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

4/5 for The Lovely Linda.

It's a tune for which the word "charming" could have been invented and one that, for me at least, proves that "unfinished" shouldn't always be used as a derogatory term. I think it conveys all it needs to in less than a minute and would in no way benefit from adding another couple of verses and a chorus or bridge. It feels just right as it is and sets the tone for what follows. :agree:

3/5 for That Would be Something.

It's nice enough and fits snugly into this album (and likewise would do so on The White Album) but isn't particularly noteworthy. That Macca chose to perform it on Unplugged suggests that he must really like it.

6. Glass Candy

5/5 for That Would Be Something. He is only as minimalist here as he was on Why Don't We Do It In The Road. This album is as daring in this regard as John's POB album, if not more so. Paul's musical ego had been shattered to some degree by the Beatle breakup, and it is always fascinating to hear what results from that type of situation, e.g. Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett etc.

7. Bemagnus

True
    Basic,minimalist and impressionistic

8. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

The Lovely Linda is a cute snippet of a song. It's surprising when it ends because it's so short!

That Would Be Something is a really cool little ditty that maybe is a little repetitive for me towards the end.

I just looked up the lyrics I always thought he said "To reach in the falling rain" not "To meet you..."

Side note, the Grateful Dead played this 16 times in the 90's.

9. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

The Lovely Linda: I read somewhere that's the noise of a screen door opening on this (during the first vocal line)
    That Would Be Something: George H mentioned that he liked this one (at the time)

10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I didn't care for it much when I was younger. Appreciate it more now because it sounds a bit like an old blues song or something, to my ears.

11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

That Would Be Something is slight but it’s so likeable in its unpretentiousness. 3/5

12. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Lovely Linda, though I give a 4/5. Very sweet and a perfect way to kick off this home made gentle album.

13. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

Lovely Linda - great, unpretentious, honest, nice guitar sound, very warm and open.

That Would be something - hmm - I was aware when I bought this album first time around in the late 70's that it seemed to be one of the more substantial tracks on the albums (it had lyrics, after all), but I didn't immediately get into it as much as , say, Every Night, or Maybe I'm Amazed, and I think I even preferred Momma Miss America and Oo-You (but I'm getting ahead of myself, thats still to come)

In retrospect I do like That Would Be Something - it is like nothing else I've heard, and the guitar sound is cool (Tele?) - I think I was initially disturbed by the the overly simple chord progression - I was learning guitar at the time and probably thought it should have been a bit more complex.

btw Bemagnus - love the idea of this thread - I've not seen a Macca song-by-song before, and I'm up for it.

14. Bemagnus

Great

JonnyKidd likes this.
  15. Bemagnus

No rules expect we should go chronological
    Here is the third song. Well-to call it a song might be a stretch. But it s a sound-not difficult to play but to get that cool sound might be harder. This really is unfinished business but -well I like this sound a lot-from the guitars to the drums it s a nice listening. Totally without ambition more than to please Paul himself.

JonnyKidd and Rickchick like this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Going too fast.

That Would Something- 3/5.

JonnyKidd, 905 and Bemagnus like this.
  17. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

4/5 for both of the first two songs

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

That Would Be Something is one of those tunes that makes the McCartney album a source of frustration for me. It's not a song. It's half of an idea for a song that he never finished but recorded and released anyway. The first decade or so of Paul's post-Beatles career is littered with these sorts of unfinished fragments, and to me this is one of the great signs of Lennon's absence. There's little doubt he'd have said, "Decent start -- you gonna finish it?"

19. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Agree that we can slow down. It's no problem if this thread goes on for a couple years, really.

20. plentyofjamjars67

Not sure what more this song needs to be. I find it 2 or 3 times as good as "Why Don't We Do It In The Road", to compare a similar composition. That Would Be Something is laid back and bluesy and says all it needs to say with very little- something I'll bet Lennon admired, for one.

JonnyKidd, The MEZ, supermd and 5 others like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I don' ' t want to get too far ahead of the flow but...
    One of the things I particularly like about ' McCartney' is the instrumentals. The only Beatles one was' Flying' ( and that had chanting) so it was a nice suprise to see instrumentals on Macca's solo.

22. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I'd love to participate since I missed the album-by-album thread that just got completed for McCartney recently -might be a rehash for those who just finished that thread. But I can't commit to a thread that will go on for 1 to 2 years. I mean this is an enormous undertaking, -he's got at least 500 songs excluding the Beatles songs-and then because the Beatles songs of his are being completely skipped it won't even provide an overview of his whole career. Wow, everyday for 2 years, sorry I can't do it but good luck to anyone that's going for it.

JonnyKidd and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  23. plentyofjamjars67

well, at the rate the OP is moving, we should actually be finishing this up in a couple weeks or so :winkgrin:

24. Glass Candy

Slow down, man!!!

BZync and Daniel Plainview like this.
  25. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

If the OP switched it to album by album since it's going so fast through each song, then I probably could do it. I'll just fall behind this way though. Oh well, plenty of McCartney talk everywhere else anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.