The Searchers, Rio Bravo and The Wild Bunch - new restored versions?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Thread Starter

All three films was released in the early days of blu-ray with lossy sound.
    I believe that a new 4K scan and restoration would benefit these three classics.
    A new soundmix/restoration would also be nice.

Any news or rumors out there?

2. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Can't answer the question but very relieved that the title saying new versions doesn't mean what I initially thought it did and that they were going to remake these films...

The Searchers should definitely get the full treatment.

jtiner likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I was worried with the thread title they were remaking all these movies. thankful I was wrong

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Thread Starter

Yeah, sorry for the confusing thread title

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

It's a reasonable concern.
    I still can't believe the 'Straw Dogs' remake.
    Don't mess with a classic!

alexpop and Phil147 like this.
  6. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I've not seen the remake but judging by the general consensus of opinion the remake of The Wicker Man must rank as one of the most misjudged ever.

There was a remake of The Magnificent Seven so you never know what they might do with The Wild Bunch... and it might turn out alright. Same with Rio Bravo, maybe. But in both cases what is the point?

However, for me it would be tantamount to sacrilege to even begin to try and do a remake of The Searchers... I know the Coen brothers did True Grit which was an iconic John Wayne role and actually made a very good film of it. But The Searchers is something else entirely and should have been the film Wayne got an Oscar for.
    If they did a full restoration of this it would be great, not sure though if it is even possible and if so if it would be cost effective to do. Maybe Vidiot would have an idea.

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

My reaction was similar, but more mixed. Remakes would bring attention to the originals, and I'm for anything that gets the current generation watching classic westerns

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

These movies getting the 4K treatment? Wouldn't that be loverly.

apesfan likes this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Could someone change the title to "new Blurays or 4K" ?

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Let's get the ball rolling on this Rio Bravo remake, carrying over a bit from Once Upon a Time...:

John Chance: Leo
    Dude: Brad
    Colorado: Miley Cyrus
    Feathers: Margot Robbie or Jennifer Lawrence
    Stumpy: Larry David

11. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

"The Searchers" looks pretty good, but I heard the "Wild Bunch" blu-ray was pretty meh, so I never bought it. You would think the 50th Anniversary this year would have been a good opportunity to upgrade the disc, even to 4K

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Wild Bunch Blu Ray is just OK. With the upgrade boom happening I hope it gets a makeover.

13. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Agree all.
    50th anniversary is a must.
    Fox or now Disney/Fox F$$$$ed up the 50th for the original Planet of the Apes and its sequels especially now that 4k remastering had been done in the last few years and played in theaters for limited time. Disney says their pulling Fox titles from limited engagements.
    How can they in this day and age not release on 4k The Wild bunch and The Searchers and many others. I hope it happens soon. We ain't getting any younger. Good Luck to us all, John.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The Searchers was shot in VistaVision. It should look great! (I have not seen the blu-ray, but saw a new film print back around 2000, I think. Stunning.)

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Some have complained that the color timing of "The Searchers" is off in some scenes. It is amazingly sharp and clear, again like you said, probably due to the VistaVision (which I believe Scorsese once said was the greatest process ever invented for filming)....The blu-ray is worth getting, especially since you can probably pick it up very cheaply

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Not to go off on a tangent but if I was running WB (or megacomplexweowneverythingnowstudio) I'd re-released Wild Bunch theatrically, preferably as Road Show in 70 mm. It's a film that demands and deserves to being seen (experienced) in a theater. Then I'd concentrate on a re-re-restored version, ocasting on the attendant publicity.

I don't think the best western or best movie could ever be absolutely defined, but Wild Bunch is clearly in the top 10 of greatest movies, probably in top 5. Can you imagine going to see this in 1969 thinking it was just a 'western' and being nailed to your seat by that opening sequence?

doubleaapn likes this.
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was so happy when Criterion released McCabe and Mrs. Miller on Blu-ray. The DVD release was awful.

Ghostworld and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tame in comparison with the original. And Susan George is way more sexy than Kate Bosworth.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  19. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

They remade Stagecoach, Seven Samurai, and Ben Hur twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.