The appeal of New Country music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Please point out to me even just a few of those "most modern country" songs that promote violence.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's what happens when the writers/producers and performers are two entirely separate camps.

Sure, there's a lot of formulaic rock and dance music (or formulaic music in any genre, really). But what the difference is, to me, is the individuality of band members/collaborators who don't care about "rules." So you can have a song like The Cure's "Just Like Heaven," with a full 50 seconds of intro before the vocals kick in, or even a now-cliched song like "Don't Stop Believing," where the chorus only happens once, at the very end of the song, because someone in the band decided that's just how it was gonna be. (And I can almost guarantee some label person suggested changes to both of those things upon first listen)

If you put the writing, production, and instrumentation in the hands of other people, well, a) it's not really your record anymore, is it? But also b), you're going to get that formula, because it's in the best interests of all of them if they want to make money.

Granted, making money is a hell of a reward, especially in music. I know some of these people, and that's the ironic part... most of the people who write and play country music don't have any affinity or interest in it at all outside of a paycheck, they're just happy to have a gig. (And I'd take those gigs too if one was offered to me)

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

This sums up my feelings about current "country music" as well.

And I agree with another member's comment earlier - the latest from Eric Church Desperate Man is quite good.

melstapler likes this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Think about what happened at the Jason Aldean concert in Las Vegas a while back.

5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Modern country music? Chris Stapleton is the only one I listen to. The rest is just plastic processed pop music with a fiddle & a twang.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Try Midland. Great stuff.

Chris S., LilacTeardrop and RSteven like this.
  7. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

This thread is hilarious. :-popcorn:

It's exactly what happens in almost any hip-hop thread around here. A bunch of "this sucks" posts and a few folks pointing out the good stuff out there. Sprinkle in a little politics and racism and simmer until it evaporates.

8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Not immersed, at all, but gimme Hank Williams and Roger Miller any day.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  9. Do you think it was Jason Aldean's music that caused the violence or the opportunity created by a large crowd with many targets for a deranged monster with an arsenal?

Earscape, Jmac1979, Hot Ptah and 4 others like this.
  10. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Okay. In what way did country music promote violence?

11. There is a you tube compilation of something like, 7 or 10 new country songs...I can't remember exactly. Anyway, they all sound exactly, and I mean E X A C T L Y the same.
    So much so that it is quite difficult to differentiate between the songs.
    The industry formula style of country music does not appeal to me in the least. It actually tuns me away.

There are a few fun country singers and songs, but for the most part, at least in my opinion, new country is much like hair metal rock.
    The only difference is new country has very carefully, and specifically, bent up cowboy hats and they have names like Chase Aldrich, Trace Ryder, or some other specifically made up "country" sounding name.

New country has gone the way of corporate formulation, and it shows in the look, and sound, and quality of the product.

I call new country "Yallternative" music.

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

In most studies, that would be known as an outlier. :winkgrin: If many other hip hop songs follow Old Town Road’s lead then we’ll know there’s a new trend. Follow the money.

seed_drill and Bluesman Mark like this.
  13. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Because the article in the OP is a political article.

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Not many have replied directly to the article, because it's understood that basically everything in it is political.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  15. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

I think you already know the answers.

16. Johnny Action

I love Dwight Yoakum. He’s the real deal.

Vinny123, Blimpboy and melstapler like this.
  17. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

So despite your harmless-sounding thread title, what you really want to know is, why is there a strong trend toward objectifying women and glorifying whiteness in modern country music?

melstapler likes this.
  18. Johnny Action

That would be reasonable and logical side issues, yes. But I’m also very interested in opinions about the music itself-as it relates to older “more traditional” country music.

19. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Yes, thanks! I had not heard about that. Got football on Sunday night, but setting up the DVR to record for Monday viewing.

20. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Modern country music is like a mash-up of Brown Sugar and Ninety-Nine Problems. :p

melstapler likes this.
  21. melstapler

Good point. Apart from his prop hat, Aldean doesn't play genuine country music.

Johnny Action likes this.
  22. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

It sucks period

melstapler likes this.
  23. Johnny Action

Not necessarily political. But sociological, yes.

rfkavanagh, Tom H and Bluesman Mark like this.
  24. melstapler

These sexist redneck modern country artists could take a lesson or two from Jack Greene and Jeannie Seely. Despite their difference in both age and gender, they teamed as a duo act in 1970 and continued to appear together until Jack could no longer perform due to illness during the 2000s. Of course, they played authentic country music and never deviated from that tradition which many of us still hold so dearly to our hearts.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Blimpboy likes this.
  25. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Pop disguised in a country monicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.