TT DR Meter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spaceboy, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to analyse FLAC files with TT DR Meter?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yes, at least it is as a foobar plugin ...

Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.11 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-11-26 14:39:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Brian Eno / The Ship
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR12  -0.30 dB  -17.02 dB  21:19 01-The Ship
    DR9  -0.30 dB  -14.30 dB  18:04 02-Fickle Sun (I)
    DR16  -5.04 dB  -23.87 dB  2:50 03-Fickle Sun (II) The Hour Is Thin
    DR8  -0.30 dB  -11.64 dB  5:18 04-Fickle Sun (III) I'm Set Free

Number of tracks:  4
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:  44100 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  16
    Bitrate:  798 kbps
    Codec:  FLAC
    ================================================================================

3. Spaceboy

Hmm, I installed the foo dynamic range plugin and it says it's out of date.

4. Spaceboy

5. Davey

6. Spaceboy

How do you make it produce a log like that? I want to submit some to the Dynamic Range Database: Add new album - Dynamic Range Database »

TarnishedEars likes this.
  7. Davey

Preferences->Advanced->Tools->Dynamic Range Meter and check the DR Log box

Jimi Floyd and Spaceboy like this.
  8. Spaceboy

Thanks. Now I can add albums I have that are not in the database.

wolfram and Jimi Floyd like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

But where is the log file? I don't get one.

10. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

The FB2K devs advise not using this component, as it's out of date and very buggy (it often hangs FB2k here). But as there's no replacement, I still sometimes use it. I wish there was something similar for FB2k that scanned files offline like the DR, but also gave you the LUFS Integrated reading, as it's a standardised professional measurement much closer to perceived loudness than DR.

Hermes likes this.
  11. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Is there a way to add the dynamic range tool to foobar ? is it gone for good , any other options ?

12. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

It still worked last time I tried it, just would occasionally crash it. These days I use these strings instead, can display them in the main track list window, and they give you the LUFS Integrated and True Peak dB.

LUFS Integrated:
    $if(%replaygain_track_gain%,$puts(l,$sub(-1800,$replace(%replaygain_track_gain%,.,)))$div($get(l),100).$right($get(l),2) dB,)

True Peak (set oversampling to x4 in the Prefs for recommended accuracy):
    %replaygain_track_peak_db%

Neither are the same as so called "DR", but LUFS Integrated is a far more accurate measure of perceived loudness, and is world wide industry accepted.

13. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

The Foobar plugin still works fine for me and has never once hung or crashed despite reading warnings that it could. Version 1.1.1.

L5730 and Crimson Witch like this.
  14. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Isn't there any freeware to get DR stats ? The add on for foobar does not exist anymore . It was so easy to check numbers that way for fun. I'm just looking for a easy and free way to do it .

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Foobar component is available at Album list - Dynamic Range Database
    It's in the "Links" menu at the top of the web page

sa5150 likes this.
  16. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Thank you so much for that !!! :)

Is there a way for the DR results to save to a different file then my music file ? I usually like to delete the results after running . No huge deal if it does not let you .

Thanks again for finding the plugin .

17. Ham Sandwich

You don't need to import the files into the Foobar library to do the DR analysis on the files. You can drag and drop them into Foobar, then select those files, and do the DR analysis. Save the DR log file. Then delete the music files. That's actually the way I do it since I don't use Foobar as my media player or library manager.

18. ironrod94

ironrod94 Well-Known Member

Hello guys, i just found out how to measure with foobar 2000, but i have a question, are the results reliable? i mean, on the dynamic range mater it is stated that an old algorithm its used with the foobar 2000 plugin, does that mean the results are not correct?

19. Ham Sandwich

The results with the Foobar2000 plugin will be correct for the old DR calculation algorithm. The Dynamic Range DB still accepts DR numbers calculated by the old algorithm. So the Foobar2000 plugin is still good for that.

I don't know what the differences are between the old algorithm and the new algorithm. The DR values calculated by the old algorithm and the new algorithm seem to be the same, or if they're different they're off-by-one which could be a rounding error or could be due to a different way of calculating.

tin ears and ironrod94 like this.
  20. ironrod94

Thank you for answer my question Ham Sandwich!:righton:

21. ironrod94

I know maybe this is off topic, but i was checking another thread about how to de emphasize audio files and was unable to write there so i will ask you through here, is there a "best" way to de emphasize cds using foobar 2000? cause i have tried with the IRS FILTER and it seems to work but im not sure if im doing it wrong, perhaps you know the answer

22. Ham Sandwich

I've never used Foobar to do de-emphasis. I know it's possible and that Foobar can do it in many different ways.
    I use SoX to do de-emphasis. In an off-line mode. So that SoX saves the files with de-emphasis to new files. Then I'm able to play those de-emphasised files with an media player. I don't want to be tied to using Foobar for playback. I want to be able to use any media player. Any playback option that relies on Foobar doing on-the-fly processing isn't going to be something I'll do.

ironrod94 likes this.
  23. ironrod94

I understand, do you think the audio quality its different using SOX or FOOBAR, i mean, the de emphasis process could result being innacurate?

24. Ham Sandwich

The objective way to decide which de-emphasis method is best is to measure which one comes closest to the ideal theoretical de-emphasis curve. That objective analysis doesn't guarantee it will sound the best in subjective listening. I prefer a mix of the objective and subjective in deciding what is best.

In my subjective listening I found the SoX de-emphasis to sound better than some of the other free de-emphasis options. I haven't tried any of the expensive mastering quality EQ and de-emphasis options. They can be very expensive. For the free options I found the SoX option to be what I like. For now. I may find something better later and when I do I'll redo the de-emphasis processing using that new better method.

ironrod94 likes this.
  25. ironrod94

I didn't know that could be very expensive, perhaps i will try with SOX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.