David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I'm the opposite the most interesting period the formative years pre game untainted. Not that later years were bad but this is just the fun Bowie

tages, gomen ne and Vaughan like this.
  2. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Is this box complete or something missing?

3. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

@JeffRougvie should be able to back up that the Ryko releases are identical to the concurrent EMI releases. I would think EMI had no legal permission to screw with them.

4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Just you wait till the full box set of his Rough Wet Demos are released. Here's a sneak peek ... just make sure the loo's vacant before you watch and listen :laugh:

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

It's when you're in a communal shower and you suddenly have a 'loss of energy' and drop the ball soap.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. Semolina Pilchard

Semolina Pilchard Forum Resident

7. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Well said. I’ll likely only get this if it drops below £50. I really can’t see this being a popular seller at all as it stands...

Mikewest likes this.
  8. cartologist

From Bowie web site:
    the two Decca tracks presented here are released in superior quality to that released on the Deluxe Edition of David’s self-titled debut album on Deram
    London Bye, Ta-Ta (Decca alternative version) (2.36)

Okay, I'm in. o_O

9. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

$76.97 at Bullmoose.

Curveboy and cartologist like this.
  10. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Well, the original mono mix of In The Heat Of The Morning wasn’t actually on the Decca 2-disc edition. That included a mono version with a different vocal.

So this might be a re-release of the “original” version first released on The World Of David Bowie.

11. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

12. cartologist

Even better.

Cancel Amazon, order Bull Moose. Thanks!

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  13. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yes. It was surprising that they originally just went ahead and rereleased it twice even after the errors were flagged up. They haven't tacitly admitted to releasing an error-strewn remaster, but I think we can read the backtracking to the 40th remaster as a realisation, but as you say, it is too late now. Having said that, most people don't seem that bothered.
    Did they ever actually acknowledge the mistake on the "Heroes" track or just keep to the line that it was deliberate and we didn't understand what we were hearing?

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Cheeky!

Segasonic91 and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This is a misrepresentation of what occurred. The facts are: The original Parlophone CD represents what is found on the master. There is a volume drop, just as it is on the master. Understandably, people didn't like it, so they "corrected" it by adjusting volume levels.

They never once said listeners "didn't understand what they were hearing". In fact, they acknowledged the issue, and sent out replacements.

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

How do we know the volume drop is on the master?

17. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

That is how Parlophone explained it to SDE:

In terms of the problem on the title track of Heroes, it was explained that this is down to an issue on the master tape. It was stressed that for all four albums, the label went back to the original analogue master tapes for new digital transfers (done at 192/24). The issue on the master tape of Heroes is described as a ‘loss of energy’ on that title track that starts at around the 2.42 mark, and lasts for about four or five seconds. Parlophone stressed that they were very keen to maintain the integrity of using the original master tape. So rather than ‘fly in’ a section from another tape generation or source (such as a safety copy) they kept to the original master tape transfer and the track Heroes was given a boost of high frequency during the period of this loss of energy. When this high frequency boost finishes (around the 2.50 mark) the effect creates the impression of a drop in volume but Parlophone insist that this simply isn’t the case. The level is consistent with the start. Again, Warner Music/Parlophone reject the notion that this disc is in any way faulty. You are listening to the original master tape with this slight frequency adjustment for a short period in the middle of Heroes to correct an issue inherent with the master tape itself. I asked why this issue on the master tape hadn’t come up before and was told that it was probably because this was the first time in a very long time that the original master tape was being used and no-one knows when the issue with the tape may have come about.

18. Logeroni_Pepperoni

Logeroni_Pepperoni Forum Resident

Cause the master had worn out over the years cause the engineers insisted they use the original tapes.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I don't indulge in this kind of paranoia. The "how do we know" is a common rebuke these days, and it's largely conspiratorial. We know because they told us, and there's absolutely no reason for them to lie. It's that simple.

20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

One thing is for certain: there's at least one lie in that explanation. Either about the 2017 mess up or about the original master tape. Otherwise the loss of energy could be heard in discs from 1977 onwards. Or for decades the original master tape hasn't been used since the first release. People aren't stupid.

21. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

Always sounded like some automation error in the mastering chain or a problem in the transfer to me

TonyCzar likes this.
  22. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

The releases that would use the OMT would be (at least)

US LP AFL1 2522 (Sterling master)
    US CD (Jpn for US) PCD1-2522
    RYKO CD RCD 10143

After recording the master tape would have been sent to the rights holder - RCA US New York. The US LP (and one of the first UK versions) was mastered in New York.
    Ryko also said they used the two-track masters.

It's not such a hard comparison. It's also possible that a fault developed on the tape.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

No paranoia on my part. Just curiosity. Ironically, you seem to be engaged in an opposite kind of paranoia. For what it's worth, record companies have often made mastering mistakes. That's common knowledge, and it leads naturally to common rebukes, whether or not they are justified in specific cases.

24. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I apologise for any errors I may have made in my post.
    What is your opinion of the Five Years remaster of the Space Oddity album?

25. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Looking forward to hear a song called Jerusalém

gomen ne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.