The appeal of New Country music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

When country singers use autotune - I'm out.

Earscape likes this.
  2. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Interesting that you brought it there. The article (and nobody here) said anything at all about being racist, it simply said that there's an "increased emphasis the celebration of whiteness".

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

An addendum to my initial post. Country, hip hop/rap, opera & disco are my four least favorite musical genres, (I cannot & will not listen to opera).

Country likely rates a bit higher on the likeness scale for me, mostly outlaw style stuff, though I do love Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline & Hank Sr. Even the outlaw artists I like doesn't encompass all of them. Foe example, other than about 2 albums, I've never been able to fathom Hank Jr's appeal. A lot of the formulaic crap he churned out is part of what got country to this sad state of affairs now. He discovered if he wrote songs about "livin' a country state of mind", or that celebrated testosterone fuel machismo or anything along those lines, that he sold records. Lots of them. Myself, I'd rather listen to vintage Gary Stewart, Don Williams or Waylon.

Along comes Garth Brooks, who gets Hank Jr's formula down to an exact science. And from there it keeping going downhill until we arrive at where we're at today. From Garth Nashville's producers, songwriters, A&R men, etc, gleaned how to dumb down the musical stylings even more, adhering slavishly to the formula, while amping up the spectacle. The fans bought it, & the genre has suffered.

keyse1 and ODShowtime like this.
  4. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

NONE..... its all horse-doo-doo. Always needs more references to trucks, beers and finger snaps.

Bluesman Mark and ODShowtime like this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

The first baker's dozen or so of posts in this thread were all spot on. I haven't seen a run like that in this forum in a while. And I don't even care about country music unless someone is playing it near me and I have to get away from it.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

That's not just country music but pop music. Anything intended for the charts tends to follow a pattern. Didn't ZZ Top purposely make almost every song on Eliminator 120 bpm or something like that?

I'm pretty sure Paul Stanley wrote I Was Made For Lovin You the same way.

Every genre has their formulaic patterns intended for commercial purposes just as all genres have artists trying to write good "songs".

Pop is pop and it all follows certain rules to garner airplay and we shouldn't lump together all artists based upon the genre they play.

Hot Ptah and Bluesman Mark like this.
  7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

That don't impress me much.

8. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

Tim McGraw - Humble And Kind (Official Video)

RSteven and Hot Ptah like this.
  9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

In 2019 this division no longer exists.

10. I think the implication of "celebration of whiteness" is pretty clear.

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Every article linked is from Pacific Standard - read this and draw your own conclusions.

https://psmag.com/page/about

GreenDrazi likes this.
  12. For the record, I'm not the OP (but I'm the one who posted the other two Pacific Standard articles in this thread only). I'd never even heard of Pacific Standard until I saw this thread, and I just did a search within the site on the search-key "music" -- just to see what might come up.

I've also tried to only quote short and hopefully entirely non-political excerpts from those two articles I posted links to. (Or at least that was my aim, in keeping with the rules and traditions around here). Trying to keep the discussion civil too (as well as non-political), to the extent that's possible, given the subject matter.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Not criticizing you or your posts in the least, just got curious about what this site was even about - so I thought others might be, too.

14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Social Justice. Lol. Don't it make my blue eyes brown?

Earscape and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

Only to those who can’t tell the difference.

keyse1, Rooster_Ties and rfkavanagh like this.
  16. Johnny Action

I just heard, on the local FM New Country station, What Happens In A Small Town by Brantley Gilbert.

I swear... the whole song is nothing but a chorus.

17. Johnny Action

Ratt and Poison did this back in the day, except with longer hair and no guns. And probably less inked skin. Maybe.
    It’s all just good fun!

18. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

I like and respect those artists too, but if what you want is Johnny Cash all over again, just keep playing his music or go see a tribute act. 'New Country' is a whole new genre - there are some current artists playing new 'Old Country' too, but they aren't mainstream radio acts because general tastes have turned away from that sound because as good as some new 'Old Country' is, it's still derivative.

19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Yeah this and Ratt/poison videos are basically the same thing as this with less butts.

20. Johnny Action

Who are some of these “new Old Country” artists? I as because I’d like to check them out.

21. Johnny Action

Oversimplifying like you do will get you nowhere. The actual music is what I was mostly talking about. Loud raucous guitars, heavy back beat in the same basic rhythm, high vocal choruses...but you already knew that.

22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Good list.
    Would add Darrell Smith.

ghostnotes likes this.
  23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

You misunderstood my intent and I misunderstood yours. I didn't listen to the music in any of these videos, I was comparing the video content only - and I thought you were, too.

I don't have any ulterior motive and I'm not trying to "get anywhere."

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Aren't those the very ingredients that make AC/DC great?

Carl Swanson, Dudley Morris and Tim S like this.
  25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Lotsa narrow views here...
    Flip off the AM radio and the bro country, steakhouse country and you will find real good, current country music.
    A good start is poster ghostnotes list
    I would add Darrell Smith
    Allison Moorer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.