Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Somehow I am not at all surprised.

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

How cool would it have been to open a show with it and half-way through, go into a 10-minute massively ridiculous meltdown and then re-emerge to casually finish the last verse/chorus? I mean, that's what I would have done with it, but I obviously had no authority in this matter. I mean, it sort of sets up the band for failure if their jam segment doesn't measure up, but one can't think like that. Improv is all about the now.

3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hey, maybe the disrotation of "Money, Money" and "Till the Morning Comes" are connected: "You're my woman now, make yourself easy..." ;)

4. Archtop

The act of not doing what one is doing. It does sound very GoGD-like.

ianuaditis, Wright and US Blues like this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

6/26/73 is shining bright from this boxset.

6. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

The performance of Loser from 6/26/73 is exquisite.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  7. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

Reminds me of the midgets protesting Randy Newman concerts for having written "Short People". The PC revisionist police make me crazy, particularly because they don't seem to understand context, or the fact that someone can create a song/poem/painting etc. without endorsing the actions or beliefs of the characters within.

Billy_Sunday, Ray29, thgord and 3 others like this.
  8. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Although in this case, the band policed themselves. In 1974.

Billy_Sunday, Wright and frightwigwam like this.
  9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Wow, the Grateful Dead threads on this forum have always been quite open and permissive in terms of the perimeters for discussion, but now we're the "PC revisionist police" if we talk about why some people - including the band - may have problems with "Money, Money"?

Also, isn't midget a derogatory term?

trd, bzfgt, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I agree though that it seems odd to me that anything sung in a song lyric is taken to be an expression of the author/singer's views

ianuaditis, Archtop, trd and 3 others like this.
  11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The line can get fuzzy when the song is a first-person narrative; and, in the case of Money, Money, the song in the last verse seems to switch from story narrative to making a general declaration, as if to sum up with "the moral to the tale."

Lord made a lady out of Adam's rib,
    Next thing you know, you got women's lib.
    Lovely to look upon, Heaven to touch;
    It's a real shame that they got to cost so much.

If you're performing that on stage, I think you gotta ask yourself whether you stand behind that kind of declaration. Apparently, that's what the band did.

Besides, the chorus is also annoying, and if even Bob Weir, King of Anti-Comedy, a man who has relished telling jokes that only make people groan, has to acknowledge that the intended humor in the song fell flat, that tells you something.

12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Keep your day job, Bob.

13. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

I was referring to the general increasing censorious sentiment expressed by thgord, which I took to be broader and not about specific posts or members here, so apologies if it was taken that way....though you are sort of showing it to be true in questioning my word choice.

Now I could have said achondroplastic individuals in an effort to be less offensive, but then I'd have to provide a fuller explanation of achondroplastic dwarfism; the most expedient solution to which would be to use the word "midget".

budwhite and trd like this.
  14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yeah, it would have to be a pretty broad sentiment if you're referring to something that happened forty years ago as part of a current trend. But I still don't see how it's relevant in this thread

Oh, I thought you were also making a point by using that word. Short people would have been fine.

15. Archtop

We had a song in my previous band that was written in the third person but the reviewer simply couldn't grasp that. So he panned it. The thing is, it was about someone else proclaiming how painful life is for being so brilliant and dealing with said person. The reviewer couldn't grasp the concept that it wasn't written from the first person perspective. Let's face it: in matters of art, no one is wrong even if they are.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

But how much of a problem is this really? Are people really thinking that Mick Jagger is Lucifer?

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

B. L. Zeeboob

bonus likes this.
  18. Archtop

A witty post, but yes; never underestimate the ability for the general public to not get it. Maybe it's not always important, but if one is trying to make a statement, I would argue that it's important that the general public gets that statement. I would also argue that, if made obscurely (and art not only accepts this, it condones it), it needs to be discussed, not refuted before it's misunderstood. I'm not saying that this has happened in any particular situation, but I've always got my feelers up.

And yes, this post comes across as terribly condescending. I don't mean it that way. Simply as an observation of what the music business entails.

a sound painter, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Sure, but then I don't see the connection to political correctness... You're PC if you misunderstand a song? (Of course, I realize that you're not the one who brought up the PC issue).

Archtop likes this.
  20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

No, but there still is some controversy about how much distance between the lyric and him that one might allow when he's singing something like "Brown Sugar" or "Under My Thumb." Even if The Beatles "Run for Your Life" was in character (but John admitted to hitting women, so maybe it wasn't so much), or if you figure that Pigpen wasn't actually creeping on little schoolgirls, or maybe Mick Jagger doesn't actually approve of whipping and raping young slave girls, are those songs that you really feel comfortable with enjoying, or playing for impressionable kids, these days? Maybe. Maybe not.

21. Archtop

I'm probably one of the most un-PC folks you'll ever know of (unless forced to be so). I'm a bit confused. If anything, my argument in matters of art is to be un-PC. I made my response in a vacuum. I had no context other than your post that I was responding to.

bzfgt likes this.
  22. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Right, but for those in this thread complaining about censorship, we can simply note that at this very moment, "Brown Sugar" is being played by dozens if not hundreds of radio stations across the land. So, I don't see how this can be a problem for them. Of course, everyone is free to criticize the song - it's a free country - but I don't see any evidence of a censorious trend here.

My own take? I'm not surprised that Jagger modifies the lyrics in concert, which is certainly his prerogative as an artist.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Brown Sugar is widely misunderstood because of Mick's ... unusual diction.

thgord and footlooseman like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't get all the fuss about "Money Money".
    Of course he is! He loaned Jerry 20 dollars, don't you remember? Then he took them away and vanished in the air, that bastard!

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Keith said it was small, didn't he?