Burning SACD iso's to DVD-R's - how is that even possible?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by C6H12O6, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that SACD ISOs would only play as SACD-Rs, not as ISO files on USB drive on the earlier firmwares.

2. The ISO playback off a USB drive was used for movies and such, not SACDs.

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Never tried it, but as my machine has up to date firmware it is unlikely to work. I used my machine to rip my SACDs as ISOs, and then used ISO2DSD to extract DSF files. The DSF files play back off a USB drive, and are also played by Foobar2000 and my Sony DAP.

Mick Jones and The Pinhead like this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Then I'd only burn to DVD-R with IMGBurn and play it ?

5. The Pinhead

[​IMG]

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Its been quite a while since I played around with this. But as I recall, that is how it is done, if you are running firmware which is old enough.

Oppo removed this feature fairly early in the 103 and 105's lives as I recall. So depending upon how early of a 103 you have, this still might not work for you. They also removed this feature from the 93 and the 95 at the same time (which hadn't been out of production for more than about a year or two at that point in time).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    The Pinhead likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

Turns out it doesn't work. The firmw. that did this was issued in 2013. Mine was manufactured in 2014, with that firm factory-installed. The reggae comp I'd downloaded was gonna be my first taste of a SH mastering. No biggie though. I could have extracted the songs to flac, but it would have involved obtaining software I don't have, and I really couldnt be arsed to do so.

8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

It is playable by JRiver or foobar.

Rubberpigg, JediJoker and The Pinhead like this.
  9. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

If you have the iso file, why not simply convert to individual DSF files using either SACDExtract or ISO2DSD (both freeware)? Put them on a stick and play them. Put them on a server and stream them.

TonyCzar and jhm like this.
  10. Kal Rubinson

Because it is a lot of work and there's no reason to do it if you do not have to. I undertook the work when Roon stated that they would not (ever) support ISO playback.

JediJoker and The Pinhead like this.
  11. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

How do you play the raw ISO in Jriver? I can only play dsf files in it.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Of course, but in the context of this tread, DVD-Rs and common SACD players it's no-go.

But I'd like to find an older player that will play burned SACD ISOs from DVD-Rs just so I can see it happen. But I found that those older players are often missing other features I'm not giving up right now. And a player yet that will play ISOs from a USB drive would be fun. But no not happening. Computer media players are the future and the way to go from here on out.

PS I never got JRiver v23 to play my SACD ISO file. Last time I tried with the UK issue of Tubular Bells with quad mix, it said "file not supported."

The Pinhead and Kiko1974 like this.
  13. Kal Rubinson

If I select an SACD ISO, JRiver automatically displays it as individual tracks and labels them as File Type:SACD. Just click and play. Have you tried it?

JediJoker and The Pinhead like this.
  14. Kal Rubinson

Granted.

Not tomorrow but today.

?? Must be something in the setup. Since I converted all my ISOs to DSF, I have not done this but, while typing this response, I pulled out a backup USB drive of ISOs. Dragged a couple into JRiver's Playing-Now window and played a few tracks, stereo and multichannel, without a problem.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    The Pinhead likes this.
  15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Sorry Kal. Was not directing my comment at you. Rather it was at the idea of finding some way of burning them to a disk and then playing said disk. Which is surely a lot of work in comparison to my suggestion. (Plus more costly: the disc "coasters" that would inevitably ensue have a real cost. Unless one had to purchase a stick or server, my suggestion has essentially zero incremental cost. I suppose there's a cost in time to download and install the suggested freeware, and to overcome the initial learning curve, but once done, it's as smooth and effortless as any other routine use of a computer (again, this comment being directed to whoever might think that burning discs is the way to go.)

Jeff

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. A friend of mine has a Chinese media center/player or whatever you wanna call it that seems to play all kinds of ISO's one throughs at it. I don't remember the name or brand of the device, it's a player with I think 2 HDMI outs and one can install (must actually) an HDD/SSD inside. In addition to that it has several USB ports and Wi Fi. It states it plays DSD files. My friend an I tried several kinds of ISO's, BD's, 3D BD's, UHD BD's (it's slow with these, this may be sorted out on a future firmware update, he got a couple of them since he got the player) and SACD ISO's too, it's the first player I've even seen that's able to do that.
    I think he payed something like 500/600 Euros plus import fees for it. My friend is very happy with it, it's built like a tank and he says it's very reliable.
    All in all, I would buy such a device from an unkown brand and that's coming from a person who uses a Topping D50 as a main D/A converter. I dislike taking more than 15 seconds surfing through menus to play the music I want to play and with my current combination I get what I need even if I have to use several devices. My present player comprises of a Sony UBP X-800 UHD BD/SACD player plus a Topping D50 D/A converter. I have all my SACD's ripped, their files extracted and converted to DSD over PCM files (the word "converted" is not accurate as nothing is being converted, the process is just a change of file container). I only whish the Sony X-800 had gapless music file playing but I can live with that. Right now I'm playing Analogue Productions The Planets (Mehta/Los Angeles Philarmonic on Decca) ripped SACD and God this sounds outstanding for so little money.

quicksrt likes this.
  17. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Ah, you’re right. I was thinking of another software player.

18. blues 66

blues 66 Well-Known Member

:tiphat:
    Good morning everyone, Forgive my English! 'Even I, I'm looking for some good BDP player (used ) that reads , the aforementioned ISO SACD -R files ... but '
    1 -here in Italy you can hardly find them, see the prices , in Germany, Austria, and england 'you find it more easily, but damn it costs shipping !)
    2- it reads that, for readers it takes an old firmware . . .
    3- the unknown Laser obsolete ( ) in short too sb attimento .
    'I ... I've found another way :)cool:)'
    1 a classic ROM DVD player, from PC
    1 PC Notebook , or Desktop :)righton:) I use a mini iPC' with "Jriver "installed, or "Hq Player "or other player.
    that reads ISO , and dSF files . .'Well ()
    '4 I connect my little dSD converter Fiio markII, part PC with USB ?output headphones , with d-sided Y ( RCA ) to the amplifier 2 channels and voila, your dsf /dff tracks -- are played, but the thing that stunned me , is that the green light of the DSD on the converter is turned on !
    'so listening in DSD .
    5 to the most suitable word , would extract the DFS files, or DFF with Iso2DsD ,oh with SARACON and do not convert ! and then I burn with any burn program a DVD -R 'good
    :wave:

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. blues 66

Hi!!
    'I would have found, here in Italy in a shop, of music components a DVD Denon 3910, which would be suitable for listening to SACD -R !!:edthumbs:
    if I'm not in the ' at 220 euros' I would like to change my Onkio DV-SP800 (this is only able to DVD-A, meth, and not SACD-R !:cussing:
    :o my angoscies are the pick up player , I know that Denon is not as reliable as pick up !
    here they say that ... if a problem comes up, to the machine, it's then rogue to find the fault . .
    what do you think'

20. The Pinhead

If it does meth you might want to take it to rehab and buy a different player:laugh:

TarnishedEars likes this.
  21. I used to listen to SACD-Rs on the Denon 3910. Perfect for that use but I'll mention that model has a problem with the laser assembly going bad. If the player is used, make sure it reads both CDs and hybrid SACDs. The first problems usually show up when it can't read the SACD layer.

22. blues 66

Hello , I wrote it , my reads only DVD-A and DVD -A burned by ISO , while for the SACD a default reads them ; are the SACD -R that doesn't read ''Maybe, I didn't understand it well; what did you mean!?;)

Hello, Meanwhile thank you for the answer , so I did not say crap !:righton:
    I'll consider your advice 'thank you again':angel:

23. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

can I ask please do you burn the iso or extract the iso first?, I burned the iso file of a long unavailable sacd and when inserting it into my player it said data file!. Which tab on imgburn do you select?.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Only certain players play SACD-R discs, and it’s not many btw.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I have an Oppo BDP-95 I’ve read even on last firmware it will play SACD-R but not SACD-R ISO ?, does imgburn convert the iso to a recognised format during the burning process?, or does it keep it exactly the same and just copy the iso to the disc ?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.