Genesis - did they really sell out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I think you stopped listening...

2. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

The pop Genesis/didn't sell out camp really need to calm down, it's always the same. Calm down!

3. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Yes it does. It has to do with the band liking their own music. If they did, then they didn't sell out.

4. OptimisticGoat

Invest in the past and deny the present.

Christian Hill likes this.
  5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Okay, will do! Seems like the healthier choice. :edthumbs:

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  6. OptimisticGoat

Then what did they abandon?

7. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Some things on here never change :laugh:

8. OptimisticGoat

Let’s look at it this way - the idea of a sell out is the abandonment of principles that mean something for money. What were the actions which justify that label? What do you say they did specifically?

intv7 likes this.
  9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... the wheels go round and round and round... stop postning everyone and go back to the beginning of the thread, no need to write everything all over again.

10. OptimisticGoat

So calling themselves Yes was an option

ARK likes this.
  11. Dukes Travels

I'd suggest the novices (those who only listened to the first 2 or 3 albums) pick up a genesis biography.
    Banks is into pop, so is Rutherford. Check their solo stuff for more insight.
    They changed out of NECESSITY and personal interest.
    Sell outs? Pointless phrase used by people who just cant stand the band.
    An amateur drummer and "gabe only" era fan once told me "Phil Collins is a hack". An amateur drummer in his 50s who knew absolutely f*** all about the collaborations he has did and how much demand Phil was in at one point.

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You have been unable to make a coherent argument to back up your biased assertions.

13. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... if you say so...

14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Wrong, I like most later Genesis as well.

15. Dukes Travels

Ive had this EXACT same discussion for at least 20 years online. The old genesis forum was packed at one time.
    Sorry, but after a cursory glance at your input, your argument is possibly the weakest ive seen. It doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Mate if you're gonna get into THIS debate, have your answers ready. And if you're not gonna answer coherently, back out. :righton:

16. Dukes Travels

Then you should be able to absolutely NAIL down what exactly the band did to "sell out". After all you have the albums. How odd.

Joe McKee, intv7 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Were their songs better after they sold out/went commercial? I say yes.
    Invisible Touch’s “Tonight, Tonight, Tonight” clocks in at almost 9 minutes and stands head and shoulders above anything they did in their earlier years IMHO.

18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I think some in the pop Genesis/din't sell out camp need to learn that everyone don't think like them, many of you seem to have a hard time dealing with others drawing other conclusions the you and seems to think opinions are objective and somehow can be proven or that opinions somehow are more valid if they are backed up with arguments you think are valid, such approach makes every conversation pointless and just a waste of time (I'm sure you want to debate that as well in the same manner), not everyone has the need to debate everything down to the smallest detail. Just deal with that some here think Genesis sold out, it's not really that big of a deal if some think so and some not.

19. OptimisticGoat

You are missing the point of “sell out”. If you want to argue they did then be prepared to back it up by something more than “they should have recorded Goat lies down in East End in 1981”.

20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... like talking to a wall, cheers and bye...

21. Dukes Travels

I love Abba :pineapple:

Chemically altered likes this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

What's the point of even having a discussion like this if people aren't going to try make a convincing case? Otherwise, it's just "I think they sold out!" and "No, they didn't!" back and forth endlessly, which is pretty silly, like the Monty Python argument sketch. It's almost comical the way that you refuse to even attempt a rational argument and yet you won't just walk away either.

23. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

lol, like I said, someone felt the need to debate that as well, jeeze... :laugh:

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Have a nice day folks, have a nice time trying to convince others you're right for another 20 years :wave:

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

1) That's not an answer to the question.
    2) I'm not advocating the position that they did sell out under all definitions of the term.
    3) Your definition of "selling out," being inclusive of "making music that they didn't want to make" is not commonly-recognized.

What I'm basically seeing here is typical human behavior whenever an uncomfortable subject arises concerning something that they like: they define it out of existence. Sure, "selling out" exists, but that's something that "other" bands do (bands that we don't like).

Try to be more objective. It's quite possible to enjoy Genesis and also have the opinion that they sold out in the '80s.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.