The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If you purchase that, you will not be able to afford the new GONG box set!

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Planet-...1?keywords=gong&qid=1568255583&s=music&sr=1-1

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

uzn007, bzfgt, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The girl at the counter did not get it when I ordered chopped olive sandwiches, roses and wine, and cold ripe persimmons.

4. US Blues

Everything mixed and mastered under the supervision of Steve Hillage. An amazing collection of studio and live classic-era Gong.

PS- I'm just looking out for your best interests.

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

....and, oh, what is this? Goodness, one's wallet can be in trouble when browsing upcoming boxsets on the 'Zon:

Caravan: Deram Years: An Anthology 1970 - 1975
    https://www.amazon.com/Deram-Years-...HEK272GWGM6&psc=1&refRID=8FS0CS2V9HEK272GWGM6

Nine CD set. This impressive release collates their Decca/Deram years complete with bonus tracks and rare live recordings in a striking box released to coincide with Decca's 90th Anniversary. The English city of Canterbury is home to two highly respected universities, one of the oldest public schools in Britain and, thanks to it's cathedral and being the seat of the Church of England, is at the very heart of English history. It was therefore something of a surprise when a group of musicians associated with progressive and avant-garde music came to define the sound of the city in the late 1960s. Caravan were formed in Canterbury 1968 by Pye Hastings (guitar/ vocals), Dave Sinclair (keyboards), Richard Sinclair (bass/vocals) and Richard Coughlan (drums). Following the release of an impressive self-titled debut on Verve, in 1970 the band signed to Decca's Deram label where they would record some of the most progressive and elegant music across the decade. Albums such as In The Land Of Grey And Pink, If I Could Do It All Over Again and For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night cemented Caravan's reputation as kings of the Canterbury Sound.

6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

I have been trying to solve this puzzle for hours, How in allahs name can this show fit on a physical release? Where are the cuts on the master?

ianuaditis, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Can't we pretend it's a few years earlier, so I can at least be in my early 30s? Is that to much to ask for?

8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Plus -- I could take a shot at talking the Wife out of accepting my marriage proposal. I figure it's the least that I can do at this point...

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just turned 40, so I am down. I went from having to ask what year it was to calculate my age to having it be this inevitable monolith.

The good news is (before I shaved my beard the other day) my wife saw my avatar and said 'He looks a lot like you, except older,' and I said 'he was 4 years younger than I am now when that pic was taken.'

10. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Do you remember the power clipping out during the Eyes of the World intro? They all just looked at each other and Jerry had the biggest **** eating grin, as if to say "that was close".

11. diamondstylus

Ya! I've been FB posting and emailing that video to friends for years. Epic performance caught on the proshot. I've watched that 10+ times over the past few years.

sami, bzfgt, warewolf95 and 1 other person like this.
  12. diamondstylus

Oh' how I wish we had a proshot video of 2nd set 7-2-88.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Is that title a reference to Jim on Taxi talking about How he didn’t like Pac-Man because it was too realistic? (“You spend all your time trying to get food and being chased by hungry ghosts” - or something to that effect)

sami, rockinlazys, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My friends who went to that one said that the Aroma Dome sucked, and that Santana blew the Dead out of the water that night.

Billy_Sunday, sami and warewolf95 like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Madrid Gras parade needed time to wend its way across the Oakland Arena floor. I was there. It would be worth seeking out Ornette’s opening set. Garcia came out and played Three Wishes with him as on the Virgin Beauty album. A dream come true to catch live.

-

Billy_Sunday, Mad Dog, sami and 10 others like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It’s my party and you’re freaking me out!!

17. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Like the look of this one.

ARK, footlooseman, KCWhistle and 4 others like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

MSG is suspended on top of Penn Station and was literally shaking like a flying saucer about to blast off at points during that Dark Star. I was there for both that and the 10/9/89 Hampton Dark Star, and both were amazing and the bust out in Hampton was more celebratory, but that Dark Star at MSG was more intense, a real moment where the band, audience and even the building were transforming into some indescribable but organic and breathing other thing for a while there. And then they brought us back to a pizza place, or so it looks from Space....

Billy_Sunday, sami, Monroro and 10 others like this.
  19. US Blues

Nothing beats the pizza in Manhattan that one can buy from a nondescript little place around the corner.

20. US Blues

12 September 1973- The College of William & Mary.

The GD always delivered at this institution of higher learning. This show was added and announced the night before, a sparser crowd but a chill vibe made for a fine night of music making.

21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

sami and warewolf95 like this.
  22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

You mean "the real American pizza with the waxy yellow cheese on top" or whatever Zappa said :D

sami likes this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Dude, first time in NYC I spent an hour walking around the outside of Macy's trying to find Penn.

Everyone I asked would point at MSG.

Youd think there would be a sign or something, LOL

Then I got down there and got lost in the maze. After 30 min I found my platform. The line was long, so I said screw it and hailed a cab back to Grand Central instead, haha

10/10 would get lost again :p

Feel free to make fun of me for this :D

Billy_Sunday, ARK, Crispy Rob and 8 others like this.
  24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

As heard on Sirius XM’s “Jam On” a few minutes ago:

25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

And now I’m enjoying this afternoon’s concert on the GD channel: 12/1/79, Stanley Theater.

That 17 minute “Sugaree”? I wish I could roll it up and SMOKE IT.

EDIT: Plink machine on “Big River”? I’ll be damned, but I’m enjoying that too!

Billy_Sunday, sami, adamos and 7 others like this.