Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I love this late Tapscott album along with Thoughts of Dar es Salaam. It got me exploring the earlier Tapscott and luckily this was during a time of little interest in records. I managed to pick up quite a number of his records on Nimbus and other labels. It's a shame these are now very expensive and rare. Luckily some of them are being reissued recently in decent sound I think.

Dahabenzapple and Dan Steele like this.
  2. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I really liked Simmons' earlier albums and more recently I found an original pressing of this album in nice condition. Unfortunately I found the music hard going; it was a lot more free and avant garde than some of his other albums which had a nice balance between 'in' and 'out' playing. Too bad, I really wanted to buy it.

3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Stan Getz: Sweet Rain (2008 Verve Remaster)

[​IMG]

:love:

My favorite Getz album. Chick Corea is absolutely exquisite from start to finish.

4. Indeed a fine record but Getz was a man of many styles during his career and there are others which are on the same level.

[​IMG]

5. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay

Japanese Blu-Spec CD from 2013... kind of disappointing that there is a little digital pop/blip/glitch in the first 3 seconds of track one, kind of mars that iconic opening. Even the Japanese aren't perfect at making CDs all of the time!

[​IMG]

saskimo, Mugrug12, Six String and 7 others like this.
  6. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

The Commodore Jazz Recordings III #6

listening to Wild Bill Davis & Eddie Edwards

[​IMG]

bluemooze and caio vaz like this.
  7. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago I stepped out of the jazz carousel. I've been playing rock music mostly and it's been hard to get back. Haven't found that perfect horse to jump in the carousel again.

My soul misses jazz. Can't remember a longer period, in the last 2 decades, without jazz.

Anyway, I still read this thread daily. I don't have any kind of doubts that it's the best and most enduring thread of the entire forum. Humor, respect, great discussions, genuine posts...

So keep on writing I'll jump back in soon.

PS: @Mirror Image, the "sweet rain" album. That sure is a favorite of mine too. And not only a Stan favorite.

8. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

I'm doing it constantly. Right now I've jumped into neo-soul; drinking coffee and playing Moonchild's newest album Little Ghost, which arrived two days ago.
    [​IMG]

But I'm not worried, because it has happened to me before. I know I'll get back to jazz again.

9. Berthold

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland: The Campi Years - Blowing The Cobwebs Out 1

[​IMG]

10. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

While wandering not quite aimlessly about YouTube listening to the latest from Martin Taylor, Stefane Grapelli's guitarist from the late 1970's). I stumbled upon a gem in the form of a guitar duet plus acoustic bass. Martin Taylor and the powerhouse flatpicker Bryan Sutton tear it up on "Napa Swing".
    There are really some great musicians who can cross and meld genres, contributing to the future of good music in new ways. Which I think is a crux of a biscuit, listening to the progress in those "alloyed forms" as well as the positive effects to the genres of the constituent melders. Plus it's great to listen to.

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Here might lie the remedy...
    Mal Wadron & Archie Shepp
    Left Alone Revisited
    [​IMG]
    It has the emotional shadings of a rock record.

Recorded shortly before Waldrons death it is a deeply moving tribute to his pal Billie H
    The emotions are raw. If you like Shepps Steeplechase records of the late 70s this has some of that minimalist feel and the two of them wrench the emotions from each note.
    Its truly raw moving stuff.

jay.dee, Soulpope, Mugrug12 and 6 others like this.
  12. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I noticed that in my Juno "new releases" mailer, any good?

13. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

If you like neo-soul, then definitely.

Take a listen yourself
    Little Ghost, by Moonchild

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  14. Berthold

The Commodore Jazz Recordings III #9

listening to Eddie Edwards & George Bruns

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Interesting. Did these guys ever do an album together?

16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Pat Metheny Group: Travels (Disc 2 - Hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

garrincha, xybert, Six String and 4 others like this.
  17. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

In this post in another thread, I summarized my perception of 3 different versions of Agharta (and Pangaea) that I own and am aware of. Maybe my descriptions correspond to the versions you have(?). I've kept all these variations as they offer something a little different from one another and Agharta in particular is a real favorite of mine for decades.

frightwigwam, Starwanderer and Mumdad like this.
  18. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

19. This album has appeared with different front covers in different countries (only 5 variations allowed here!)
    Here is a aelection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 2 more cover variations of
    Horace silver quintet- silvers blue, USA 50s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Ach du liebe zeit, how many versions you have! Hank mobley its sounding super relaxed here, some albums he its more like this and others more rough, do you agree?

22. I had the version once with the silver - blue stripes and the portrait of Horace. But I gave it away.
    When seeing your copy I did remember about the cover variations and looked them up at Discogs.
    Here is a critic and rating of this LP from there
    Decent Hard Bop - Silver's first album after leaving the Jazz Messengers recorded with two different ensemble's. Mobley isn't one of my favourite sax players, but here his velvety sounds work well against Silver's soulful piano. My highlights are the bluesy title track, "How Long Has This Been Going On", and "Shoutin' Out".

caio vaz likes this.
  23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Nu Band

Mark Whitecage: alto saxophone & half-horn
    Thomas Heberer: trumpet
    Joe Fonda: double bass
    Lou Grassi: drums

Recorded live @ AMR in Geneva on February 6th, 2016

Burning smoking hot recording from a great live band. Whitecage at or near 80 is in great form. Heberer is the wild card as he had replaced the late Roy Campbell and he brings a whole other level of wonder to the proceedings. A little circular breathing and great use of his mutes. Fonda & Grassi are one of the great older school free jazz groove based rhythm teams.

On Not Two records

24. Two new vinyls in the house

Japanese Verve MV 2039 "New Jazz Sounds" - Benny Carter / Dizzy Gillespie / Bill Harris - recorded 1954 & 1955

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Columbia (UK) 33CX 10050 Clef Series - "Charlie Ventura's Carnegie Hall Concert" -recorded April 5, 1947

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]