Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Ok we are moving on. But of course we all can feel free to discuss songs that come before the latest
    Now it s time for one of my all-time favorite Macca song-the truly wonderful Every night. I think this is the one that really got me caught in Paul’s post-Beatles career. I love everything about this song
    The melody-absolutely pure genius-the melodic flow is so pure-the wordless part borrows a bit from You never give me your money but is still one of a kind
    Paul’s vocals are really heartfelt
    The lyrics really honest-from what we know now Paul was depressed, drank to much and stayed in bed during this period. In this song he obviously exorsicing his demons.
    The recording are so clear and the acoustic guitar shimmers
    This one is-dare I say-the first true masterpiece of Paul’s post-Beatles career and every bit as good or better than many of his songs with his old band. Also a bit overlooked imo

Wil1972, The MEZ, supermd and 6 others like this.
  2. Bemagnus

It is pure joy and a very impressionistic piece. Simple, hypnotic and repetitive stuff like this is far from easy to create. When he chooses to Paul is a master of this sort of stuff.

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

There's a song we're getting to soon that many consider the highlight of this album but for my.money ' Every Night ' is every bit as good. Maybe even better.
    When McCartney ' s good there's no one better.

The MEZ, Who Cares, BZync and 2 others like this.
  4. Bemagnus

I’m with you here. Every night might be the NcCartney song I hold closest to my heart. Perfection in every way.

5. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Every Night is half developed pop genius, willfully. Even down to that wordless chorus, where Paul is warmed by the sound of his own voice. It just sounds finished comparative to the first three tracks. The first "old" song on the album, a very embryonic version was aired at the Get Back sessions in January 1969. My first exposure to this song was the live take on the Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea album. Great song. 5/5.

The MEZ, supermd, Who Cares and 3 others like this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Every Night is a really nice song and in many ways is the heart of the album, thematically: just celebrating the quiet joys of chillin' with his boo, as they used to say back in the sixties. Impossible to dislike, good sound, and rates high in singalongability. 3.5/5

7. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Every Night is the highlight of the album for me; a piece of effortless low-key pop perfection.

4.5/5

Wil1972 and The MEZ like this.
  8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

"Every Night" is considered a classic from this album, and rightfully so. 5/5

9. Bemagnus

Heartening to see the appreciation for Every night.

10. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I was just knee jerk reacting to your calling this song half an idea, as if it needs to go into some elaborate middle eight to prove its worth. I've always liked it the way it is and never felt it needed anything else, but that's the way I am. I'm not sure why I brought up "Why Don't We Do It In The Road", a song I don't even like. it made sense at the time I guess, not now o_O

11. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Good spot!

So very true!!!!!!!

One of my very favourite Macca tracks and a high 5/5 if that's possible. The song and performance are both perfect.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

NB The Unplugged version is also very nice.

12. Bemagnus

Let’s give it 6/5. It s worth it
    :)

gja586 likes this.
  13. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

The Lovely Linda - 4.5
    That Would Be Something - 3
    Valentine Day - 2
    Every Night - 5

The MEZ likes this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

One would hope it's " impossible to dislike " but someone somewhere is saying " Pfft..a piddling trifle of a tune that's typical of McCartney's twee-ness " because haters always have to hate.
    I like your word ' singalongability'. Is that from ' Mary Poppins' ?
    Cheers

15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Aka “impossible to dislike!”

16. Bemagnus

The thing with Every night is that besides being a brilliant recording, performance and melody-the lyrics are far from being twee
    Paul have revealed that he was kind of depressed at the time-breaking up with his friends in the Beatles. He drank to much and actually had a hard time getting up from his bed. That s what this song is dealing with and of course how the lovely Linda helped him through. In my mind a very honest song.
    Every night I just wanna go out
    Get out of my head.
    Every day I don't wanna get up
    Get out of my bed.
    Every night I want to play out
    And every day I wanna do
    But tonight I just wanna stay in
    And be with you.
    And be with you.
    Every day I lean on a lamppost
    I'm wasting my time.
    Every night I lay on a pillow
    Resting my mind.

17. Wildest cat from montana

I' m getting way , way , way ahead of things here but I have to quote from a future McCartney song...

' Very twee , very me "

18. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Every Night is utterly brilliance. Paul turns in a great performance. So catchy too. I looove the “everyday I lean on a lamppost, I’m wasting my time/every night I lay on a pillow, resting my mind” bit the most. Amazing! 5/5.

The MEZ, supermd, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  19. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Again, this is very true.

Despite his public image as a writer of soppy love songs, silly story songs and twee songs about nothing much at all, Macca actually writes quite a few personal songs and this is definitely one of them.

BZync and foxylady like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Every night is just as honest ss it gets with Paul Of course when it first came out I have no idea that the song ib s way deslt with Paul being a butt depressed but once I read about his stste of mind st the time it s obvious.

gja586 likes this.
  21. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Every Night - another 4/5

The MEZ likes this.
  22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Every Night: The first real, pro sounding song recorded for the album, on Feb 22 at Abbey Road. The other late recordings for McCartney were Maybe I’m Amazed and Man We Was Lonely.

JL’s Instant Karma was released on Feb 6 and started its rapid chart ascent. I’m going to guess it’s appearance (and immediate commercial and critical success) must have spurred Paul to up his game and finish the album with some stronger songs and more professional sounds and engineering.

Every Night sticks out like a sore thumb (a great song with a great sound) after the first three songs. Even apart John was pushing Paul.

supermd, BZync, Smokin Chains and 3 others like this.
  23. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

He did write the first part of the song in early 1969 tho.

24. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Every Night - What else is there to say? Give Paul an acoustic guitar and he'll give you a masterpiece. We can start the list of "songs that would've been classics had they been released under the name 'The Beatles'" here.

BellaLuna, The MEZ, supermd and 5 others like this.
  25. Bemagnus

It is a Classic I would say

The MEZ and beatlesfan9091 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.