Newbie in need to help with turntable setup. *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mm92599, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mm92599

mm92599 Member Thread Starter

I agree that ground wires will hum if messes with but this is not a hum but more of a scratching sound then touched and none of the other three wires make any noise at all when they are touched. Just a gut feeling that maybe the wire was damaged when the dealer installed the Bias 2.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It should have sounded bad at the dealer as well then. The grounding wire can give a scratching sound when fiddled with as well, you should try it on the Carbon, but who knows, maybe you are right.
    I dont quite see how a loud volume would mask the problem though. If its actually distorting the music then it should also raise the volume of the distortion. Only if its some background noise thats constant can the music overpower it. Does the problems become masked when you raise the volume at home?

3. mm92599

Ok, so my ongoing turntable saga continued today. I took the tt back to the dealer with the understanding that we would run the tt through the same receiver I have at home (Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20) and similar bookshelf speakers to see if it would replicate the same sound quality issue that I'm having at home. Thankfully, this method did produce the issues between the right and left channels and the dealer could hear it as well. We switched the cartridge back to the original Carbon and the issue was not as pronounced as with the Bias 2, but was still present, however, the issue with the speakers was "swapped" with the Carbon. With the Bias the right speaker/channel was more bright and defined while the left was muddled and more bass heavy. With the Carbon, the left was more bright and the right had more bass. To me this makes sense since the wiring from the tonearm is reversed on the Carbon as compared to the Bias 2. The dealer thought that with the Carbon it sounded balanced, but told me to take the tt home and listen for awhile and then call him and let him know what I thought. After listening this afternoon, it is apparent that the issue remains even with the Carbon. My preference is for them to take the tt back and give me a new one, but I suspect they will want to replace the tonearm. We'll see what happens next. Definitely not a great experience for my first tt.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I feel you, I just purchased a new TT and its not working as intended at all, shipping damage is likely. Hopefully you get going soon, but doesnt this indicate a problem with the receiver if the problem wasnt apparent on his system with the same TT?

5. mm92599

When I took it in the first time they hooked it up to a really high end receiver and speakers and played it at a high volume so the issue wasn’t apparent. When I returned home and hooked it up again to my meager system, the problem was there. I called them back and asked if we could set up my tt with the same type of receiver that I have and a pair of bookshelf speakers and that’s what we did earlier today. With this setup the issue was apparent to the dealer as well so I am confident it’s not my receiver. Not sure yet how they’re going to fix the issue but I wish they would just give me a new unit. That’s probably not gonna happen though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.