Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Michael Howe: "This show, the late show, we mixed directly from the two-inch multi track reels and has never circulated before, and is just a spine-tingling performance."

TonyCzar, 905, CBackley and 5 others like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Matthew Tate, Vic333 and ad180 like this.
  3. ad180

Here is "1999" from the Detroit show.

As Michael Howe stated in the above interview, mixed by David Z from the original multitrack tapes.

MikeManaic61, 905, hiterss and 6 others like this.
  4. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Agreed, very informative. He even answered my question upthread about "Raspberry Beret"!

bataclan2002 and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Thank god it's Bernie who is doing the remaster of the album, proper + bonus stuff. This makes me super geeked!

And yes, if "Moonbeam Levels" doesn't come from the multis I'm going to be slightly perturbed. I think the chances are great that it will come from the multis.

They asked Howe about about any omissions. Note, they omitted any mention of "Extralovable." I'd like to believe that they are holding it back for some other release, perhaps with Sony. I mean, after alluding to what the fans expect from Prince archive releases, several times, Howe, Tyka and Omar Baker, are certainly aware of how important this song is in Prince's catalog.

7. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Pre-ordered.....everything for that prince released up to "SIGN OF THE TIMES" Are the one's I treasure most.....I lost him on everything he did after.....I tried....believe you me....I tried!I miss him so much though....he really changed my life back in the summer of 1984!The "MAGIC" he was always so suspicious of is understandable.....but maybe....metaphysical....heavenly are applicable....god I miss him so!

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Paul Sinclair from www.superdeluxeedition.com
    Is a real pop fan and always does great interviews...

DreamIsOver, englishbob and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

£186 for the vinyl set on Amazon UK

Orthogonian Blues likes this.
  10. englishbob

I've ordered both the CD deluxe and vinyl deluxe at Amazon to ride the constant wave of price changes up to release date. Always worth it as the price will fluctuate hopefully through the next couple of months.

Depending on my outlook at the time I'll cancel one set and go with the other. My gut is to stick to the CD set, as the vinyl set won't come with a digital copy, which is always a real letdown. I'm certainly not getting both.

The perfect set for me would be the 10LP/1DVD set that included the 5CD's as well.

(At present the 5CD/1CD set is £65, which is a bit on the steep side if I'm honest. These SE's put far too much value on the "booklet" or book that comes with these sorts of sets, such as the Beatles White Album Deluxe SE, which I think priced the book at over £30)

11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here is "1999" from the Houston show:

12. englishbob

I'm probably going to sit through that DVD just the once

TonyCzar likes this.
  13. ad180

Great quality compared to the 20th generation VHS copies I had back in the late 80s! :laugh:

Dark Horse 77, TonyCzar, YMC4 and 2 others like this.
  14. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

I'm really liking what I hear!!!

ad180 and 905 like this.
  15. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

is it just me or doesn't Jill Jones looks hot as hell in the vid :agree:;):righton:

16. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

I need the deluxe edition RIGHT NOW

the live 1999 song from detroit is SUCHA A TEASE:love::love::love:

Matthew Tate and spsimmons like this.
  17. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Didn't they also film a 1999 show in Bloomington, MN? Vanity 6, The Time and Prince sets?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

"The very first show, the early show on 30 November has circulated among collectors as a cassette board mix."

well...guess i was only half-right. glad i was wrong about them not having any multi-tracks but...does that mean they have reels for every show ??
    sounds bit unrealistic but...i certainly hope they do.

hiterss likes this.
  19. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

The official Prince store has their listings up now. Just one photo for the 10 LP set unfortunately.

[​IMG]

The 5 CD / DVD set:

[​IMG]

4 LP:

[​IMG]

2 LP:

[​IMG]

superstar19, 905, ad180 and 5 others like this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Houston VHS == "White Light/White Heat"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    ad180 likes this.
  21. I hope (CD wise) this sounds better than the Purple Rain remaster. That sounded terrible. I had to return it. I tried listening to it for a week.

Matthew Tate and JackDVD78 like this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But you're talking about the "PR" album only, right?? The rest of that box was pretty civilized sonically. (IIRC?)

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. I'm only referring to the one album of Purple Rain. The small deluxe CD set. I think it was two CDs? Hated how it sounded.

bataclan2002 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I really loved the V6 show from that vid:

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve preordered the 10 x LP UK set but am interested to know who’s cutting the main album. I have the Bernie Grundman reissues on vinyl from 2011 (?) from Dirty Mind to Sign and they’re excellent so have no interest in replacing/upgrading any of them. Hopefully they’ll keep his cut and I can just sell the new one and keep the rest of the box.

Matthew Tate likes this.