Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

I think its a great album, everybody its playing Nice, and more relaxed than often. Another album i like a lot its Tenor conclave with Mobley- Coltrane- Cohn- Zoot, Mobley and Zoot gets the best solos on this one, in my opinion.

Mugrug12 and Robitjazz like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

InnerCity has (re)issued quite a few Japanese releases from the East Wind and Enja labels and possibly others so I'm not surprised that they reissued music from SteepleChase too. They weren't a reissue label per se but they did pick and choose titles from these other countries to augment their small stable of artists.

NP George Russell Sextet - Ezz-thetics ¿Riverside) OJC CD

I haven't played this in quite a long time so I'm really enjoying the freshness of it. Russell's writing and arranging skills are alway stimulating and having Eric Dolphy on the recording is the icing on the cake. According to the London Jazz Collector this is Steve Swallow's debut recording (1961) and it was his post that made me pull this out for a spin this morning. I went through a period of buying and listening to every George Russell title I could get my hands on but had moved on to other things in the recent past so it's a pleasure to revisit Russell's world.

3. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Back in the dim days of the early 90s, one of my treasured purchases was Miniature's I Can't Put My Finger On It; Miniature being a cozy trio of Tim Berne (saxes), Hank Roberts (cello) and Joey Baron (drums and electronics).

I loved that album, listened to it a lot. In those days before I made my way to the internet, I was blissfully unaware that Miniature had done an album before that one. In fact I remained ignorant about it until much more recently. So I finally picked up that album (it is more properly a Tim Berne album) and I'm loving it just as much as the other. They combine free jazz, funk, chamber jazz into a quite unlikely mix. Terrific stuff.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

xybert, bluemooze and Dahabenzapple like this.
  4. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I found myself listening to this this morning too, prompted by the London Jazz Collector as well. :targettiphat:

Six String likes this.
  5. Is that a Prestige LP? I had it on my wantlist but missed it

caio vaz likes this.
  6. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Does anyone know anything about a quartet (I think) called Oakwood Station? They jumped out at me off a Spotify playlist, and there's nothing on the web other than some youtube tracks. Very nice, well played, mainstream stuff. Info appreciated.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP George Russell Sextet at the 5 Spot (Decca)

Not really recorded at the famous NYC club but superb just the same.

8. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Thad Jones - Detroit-New York Junction

[​IMG]

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What are some good rock albums you've been playing? I like rock. Rock on!
    :cheers:

Robitjazz likes this.
  10. Mugrug12

'Tis. :agree:

11. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

I belive it is, on internet say it is! I dont have it, but i listen on pendrive on car along many others i dont have.

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I picked up this set recently and it was in my heavy rotation. I'm relistening to it tonight, they are the best sounding versions I've heard. The HDTracks are also pretty good, but it sounds like this "Round Midnight" set used superior sources.

[​IMG]

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

On the turntable, new arrival "Donald Byrd - Chant" on Blue Note.

Tone Poet reissue remastered by Kevin Gray and Joe Harley (? JH in the deadwax ?).

"I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grande" (Johnny Mercer) – 7:39
    "You're Next" (Donald Byrd) – 7:25
    "Chant" (Duke Pearson) – 8:50
    "That's All" (Alan Brandt, Bob Haymes) – 9:33
    "Great God" (Byrd) – 6:58
    "Sophisticated Lady" (Duke Ellington, Irving Mills, Mitchell Parish) – 4:32

Donald Byrd – trumpet (tracks 1-5)
    Pepper Adams – baritone saxophone
    Herbie Hancock – piano
    Doug Watkins – bass
    Teddy Robinson – drums ("Eddy" on album cover)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I went to a 20% Labor Day sale & picked up four OJC/Prestige CDs with Kenny Burrell. They were already discounted due to a few scratches, but all played with no problem. This one is simply titled 'Kenny Burrell'. Recorded 2/1/57 at Van Gelder's, Hackensack, NJ. Supervision: Bob Weinstock. Cecil Payne's baritone sax is nice with the guitar. With Tommy Flanagan (p), Doug Watkins (b) & Elvin Jones (d). All from Detroit but Payne. Remastered by Phil De Lancie, 1992.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    'All Day Long' , credited to Kenny Burrell/Donald Byrd. Recorded 1/4/57, Van Gelder's, Hackensack, NJ. Supervision: Bob Weinstock. Burrell & Byrd are joined by Frank Foster (ts), Tommy Flanagan (p), Doug Watkins (b) & Arthur Taylor (d). Remastered by Phil De Lancie, 1990.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Gene Ammons 'Funky'. Recorded 1/11/57, Van Gelder's. Supervision: Weinstock. With Art Farmer (tp), Jackie McLean (as), Mal Waldron (p), Burrell (g), Watkins (b) & Taylor (d). Remastered by Kirk Felton, 1992.

17. Mugrug12

Fun score at the sale!
    :righton:

xybert and vanhooserd like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Released on Prestige's Moodsville label. 'Bluesy Burrell', Burrell with Coleman Hawkins. Recorded 9/14/62, Van Gelder's. With Flanagan (p), Major Holley (b), Eddie Locke (d) & Ray Barretto (conga). There is a bonus track from a session on 8/15/63 with Leo Wright (as), Gildo Mohanes (p), George Tucker (b) & Jimmie Smith (d); Mahones was actually the leader. Supervision: Ozzie Cadena. Remastered by De Lancie, 1997.

19. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

[​IMG] Just finished a great meal with my beautiful wife. I'm half a bottle of wine into the evening and now on my second rye&seven listening to Wayne Shorter's ETC Tone Poet. I think I heard a warble at the beginning of Penelope for about 3 seconds;) ;) ;). But it's all good. I'm feelin' warm. Great album! I've been lucky enough to see both Herbie and Shorter live on separate occssions and they didn't disappoint. Edit: I apologize for the cross post on two forums. Couldn't resist.

20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

21. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

SJR likes this.
  22. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

23. I mean this one.
    [​IMG]

24. Comgrats! That is really a bargain. Have "All Day Long" and the one "Burrell" above on vinyl. The other two are also worth to have. Liked Burrell from his first album on.

vanhooserd likes this.
  25. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Oh, happy day! 6 CD's arrived today.
    I'll start with some coffee and a trio of an artist which I discovered just recently by Youtube recommendations.
    Junior Mance Trio - Blue Mance
    [​IMG]