Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

try to look for stages with large internal or external transformers - look for under the hood images of the outboard box of the BCSEII for example. i have found that bigger transformers as part of the power supply tend to sound more dynamic.

Uglyversal and wbass like this.
  2. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Cheers, Avanti. Yes, it sounds like power supplies are really important for phono stages. Makes sense that you wouldn't want that small signal polluted right away by a noisy power supply.

I've also got the Elac PPA2 on my radar. I'm really liking the idea of a phono pre that can take two inputs, and the PPA2 also has a mono switch, variable loading, and a high-pass filter. The PPA1 was well-reviewed. It's an intriguing possibility. As is the Lehmann.

Would still welcome thoughts on SUTs for the ART9. Has anyone mentioned a good step-up ratio for the ART9 in this thread? Thanks.

3. avanti1960

I was working with Bob of Bob's devices and he recommended a SUT from his line- the SKY 30 set to 1:15 ratio when considering the ART 9 impedance and output.
    However I listened to some high quality needle drops between a SUT and active gain system and I heard some issues with the SUT setup. I decided to upgrade my phono preamp rather than add a SUT and am quite happy with the result.

wbass and bajaed like this.
  4. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Oh, interesting, I heard from Bob this morning, and he suggested a 1:10 ratio for the ART9 and the SKY20. Not saying anyone's wrong, just thought it was interesting. Perhaps his thinking has changed? Lot of art and science in this SUT stuff.

Sort of on the fence between SUTs and a new phono stage. I'm between:

--Bob's Sky SUT (well-regarded, pricey, but maybe won't be tempted to, ahem, step up from there)
    --Denon AU-320 or AU-340 (decent way to dip toes into SUT world for a lower price, can switch between 1:10 and 1:40, meaning good match for both ART-9 and DL103R)
    --new phono stage (don't quite have room in the hi-fi rack for another box, but would be most flexible)

5. avanti1960

many people like SUTS- and never have to step up again!
    it may depend on the gain of your preamp for the suggested ratio. i also stated a preference that i wanted to duplicate the net 66db of gain hence the 1:15 ratio.

wbass likes this.
  6. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Great, thanks for clarifying that.

7. wallabeing

wallabeing Forum Resident

Just installed an ART9 on a Technics 1200G (using the LPGEAR Zupreme headshell w/auxiliary weight on the arm), into a Manley Chinook. So far really liking it, finding it a noticeable improvement over a Hana SL, and interested to see how it breaks in.

8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am a converted, I rather have the SUT even when the phono stage has high gain, I am about to engage on a third SUT upgrade, hopefully the last.

On the previous post you commented on issues you heard with the SUT. Out of curiosity could you elaborate more on that?

avanti1960 and wbass like this.
  9. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Which SUTs have you tried? And what are you going for now?

10. Uglyversal

Sony HA T10, currently Denon AU340 and because of the overwhelming majority of positive comments I am now going for the Hashimoto HM7.

wbass likes this.
  11. avanti1960

I heard a slight but distinct ringing / peak at a certain frequency that was louder and made certain notes. In contrast I heard a more balanced sound from the active amp. Might be me but I am extremely picky.

12. Uglyversal

While it all depends on the transformer I would not be surprised that in many cases, a good, active, amp might produce a flatter response than many trafos.
    Despite of that, the openness of the sound, and more surprisingly the dynamic range -I always thought it'll be worse- are much more to my taste with a SUT rather than with a high gain PS. That is at least with the items I have experimented.

avanti1960 likes this.
  13. avanti1960

After purchasing the power supply upgrade I swore to myself that my phono stage does not need any upgrades. yet i am now leaving the door open for a possible SUT- for they dynamics like many people mention (including yourself).
    everything sounds so excellent though - so well dialed in from phono cable to interconnect cables to cartridge gain and loading- just perfect- i am not sure i want to go through another round of "tweaks", add another cable in the chain or take a chance on losing something in the process.

14. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

I'm looking at a K&K premium SUT. That or a Modwright phono stage. Might have a chance to A-B the two in a month or so. Should be interesting.

15. Uglyversal

For a few years I knew I wanted to try a better phono stage, I did finally replace it a few months ago and I was happy. It didn't take long before that started a chain reaction that went from additional PSU, x2 new SUTs (already), several cables, new cartridge, tonearm rewiring, a few tweaks of my own and I don't think I have finished yet but the end product is making it worth it to my ears, even thought I was fairly happy with my previous set up.

I had the Sony SUT I've mentioned somewhere for many years but I have never tested it extensively, it has some shortcomings but when matched with the right stuff sounds very good and also makes the music feel one step closer to the real thing. The Denon went one step further and it is pure joy but it was always meant to be a more serious test to see whether I prefer a SUT and it passed! I've decided now to invest in a more serious one like the Hashimoto, hopefully it was the right choice, I will know soon but most people I've spoken to, here and in other places seem to love it.

avanti1960 likes this.
  16. avanti1960

i'm thinking of a bobs devices again. the hashis do sound like they are winners though good luck!

Uglyversal likes this.
  17. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I'm using the premium with the Art 9. I've tried it without and like it best with.

wbass likes this.
  18. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Forgot to mention I use 1:8 ratio (can be switched to 1:16 I believe as well) into the MM input of SPL Phonos pre.

wbass likes this.
  19. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Oh, interesting, I was looking at a 1:10 SUT. I’m sure it would sound similar.

20. avanti1960

for everyone's reference my ART9 sounded best with 66db of gain. lots of schools of thought on this- there is a thread about rethinking phono preamp gain calculations that suggests the need for more gain than typical for cartridges to sound their best.
    typical turn ratio vs db gain-
    1:10 = 20db
    1:15 = 24db
    1:20= 26db
    1:30 = 30db

my target "assumption" whan i was looking at SUTs for the ART 9 was to use my phonostage at 36 db (adjustable to 46db) and have switchable SUT- 1:15 or 1:30, providing a net 60db gain (1:15) or a net 66 db gain (1:30).
    while the ART9 sounded good at a net of 56db, it sounded much better at 66db (after it was run in).
    the key here is to have some flexibility. I also assume that gain from a SUT is cleaner than gain from an active amp, and that more gain can possibly be used. not sure about that.

21. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

You're better off going 1:10 and using the 46 db setting. Both k and k and Bob's devices suggested the lower turns option around 1:10. 1:30 is no bueno for sure.

22. avanti1960

why?

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Honestly can't explain it without looking back at correspondence from the owners of Rothwell, Bob's and K and K's.

But there is a price for all those extra turns.

Empirically I've used 1:20 and 1:8 and prefer 1:8.

Best bet is to talk with the experts. All 3 of those guys know their stuff.

Preparing for Iowa vs Ia State game now, duty calls but happy hunting for your SUT!

wbass and avanti1960 like this.
  24. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

1:10 is what I got from Kevin and Bob, too, FWIW. But there seem to be no hard and fast rules for SUTs.

25. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

You have to be somewhat careful on the input side of phono preamps to avoid overloading it, depends on the input overload margin (or maximum input). If you have a MM preamp with adjustable gain, that usually means it is a negative feedback circuit, and the gain adjustment is really "free" in that you are adjusting the amount of negative feedback, so you are effectively trading a tiny bit more distortion for the extra gain. A MC switch sometimes connects an extra dedicated MC gain stage to the input with a different input load, or may just increase the normal circuit gain and change the input, depends on the design.

But in any case, back to the SUT. Speaking of the ART9, it's around 0.5mV output at the nominal 5 cm/sec groove modulation, which is pretty high (my Benz Micro Wood SL is just a little higher) so the 20dB SUT will bump that to the 5mV reference used for most MM phono stage measurements. If you go much above that, the input overload will decrease, and you may get some distortion on hotly mastered records. Of course, if you are using a phono stage with high input overload margin, say 25dB or so, then no worries, increase the SUT winding ratio without much concern.

So in your case, I'd set the phono stage gain to 46 and the SUT to 1:10, unless you know the phono stage has a very good input overload margin spec.

avanti1960 and wbass like this.