The Most Unconvincing Film Locations Of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Battle of The Bulge (1965), set in late December Belgium

[​IMG]

The Green Berets (1968), set in Vietnam

[​IMG]

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I was thinking "Vietnam, green, what's the problem" then I realized the trees are winter evergreens :p
    As for Bulge, looks like they were reusing props from an Africa Korps movie about General Rommel!

What kills me these days is some really dumb/cheap stuff. My wife is watching El Señor De Los Cielos and at one point they are allegedly flying in an airplane. SO bad looking! I could not believe they cheaped out so much. Looked worse than 1950s technology! Or some BIG blockbuster movies with some digital scenes that likewise look cheap. Gosh, ya couldn't squeeze another $27k out of your $180 million budget?!?o_O

fabre likes this.
  3. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Searchers, set in Texas, but who’s complaining...

4. JozefK

It's not too far off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caprock Canyon State Park, in the Texas Panhandle

5. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Is this specific scene from "The Green Berets" really supposed to be in Vietnam or is it on some training ground before deployment? Funny!

A lot of thrillers that were supposed to take place in Berlin or Eastern Germany (or Russia) have been shot somewhere else. The Czech Republic (often Prague) and Hungary (often Budapest) are often used as a location.

The tv series "Patriot" takes place in Luxembourg but it was filmed in Prague and in Liberec. I know my way around both towns and the filmmakers sometimes puzzle together shots from both towns.
    Luxembourg doesn't look like Prague at all.
    They used the "Severočeské muzeum (North Bohemian Museum)" in Liberec for the Luxembourg police station. It is a beautiful building:
    History of the museum | Severočeské muzeum v Liberci
    Severočeské muzeum v Liberci – Wikipedie

The main character John Tavner often sits on a bench on a beautiful square that is supposedly on Malá Strana because he crosses the "Mánesův most (Mánes Bridge)" with the Prague Castle in the background quite often. The square is not located in Prague but also in Liberec. There is a glorious town hall that we never see. Instead we see him sitting in front of the Neptune´s Fountain.

Jack Lord likes this.
  6. JozefK

It's supposed to be 'Nam.

The film was shot in the Southern U.S., around Fort Benning near Columbus Georgia, in order to advantage of military equipment provided by the Pentagon.

Trivia tidbit: this is the film David Janssen was shooting when The Fugitive's final episode aired. Here he is at a Columbus motel watching it.

[​IMG]

guy incognito, fr in sc and fabre like this.
  7. JozefK

Clambake: Elvis shows Shelley Fabares the beautiful mountains of Florida.

[​IMG]

8. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Thanks. It certainly doesn't look like the jungle.

9. JozefK

Smallville TV series: If you can take your eyes off Erica Durance for a moment, you'll notice in the background the magnificent mountains of Kansas.

[​IMG]

OldSoul, Frozensoda, Fullbug and 7 others like this.
  10. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Clearly, I need to start watching Smallville!

utopiarun, Tommy Jay, Pinknik and 5 others like this.
  11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

They really are magnificent mountains.

DLeet, Sevoflurane, elmoe and 30 others like this.
  12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx, showing off the beautiful Bronx Mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Article: “Because of production concerns, Vancouver doubled as the Bronx," Chan explained in I Am Jackie Chan. "And yes, I know there are no mountains in New York City! At first we tried to maintain the illusion, avoiding shooting angles that would show the mountains. We even hired people to paint the graffiti on the walls. But then we had to paint over it all at the end of the day. In the end, I decided to forget about trying to simulate New York, figuring that people shouldn’t be watching the scenery so much as the action anyway.”

13. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

No screen grabs as I don't know how to take them off my recordings, but a show called The Fitzpatricks in the 70s was set in Flint, Michigan and there were many shots of the famous Flint mountains in the shots.

905 likes this.
  14. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

A bit different...

Star Trek Into Darkness, there's a scene where characters are moving through an area of the Enterprise, apparently somewhere in the bowels of the engine compartment. The scene was filmed on location at a brewery.

I realize that this is a fictitious scenario and that there is no such thing as a real Enterprise starship to use as a comparison, but I found this moment of the film quite jarring because one would think that the mechanics of a starship would at least appear relatively futuristic; clean lines, sophisticated equipment, computer controlled, and all-around high tech looking stuff, just like the rest of the ship. Instead, it looked exactly like what it was, a big old 20th century industrial space. It was cheezy and way out of place.

Heck, even the original TV show tried harder than this.

[​IMG]

blivet, willy, SandAndGlass and 2 others like this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I find it hard to believe that Vancouver could have even survived as such a magnificent city, with all the rampant kidnappings, gaslighting, marital strife and failed relationships that have clearly ravaged this metropolis as depicted in decades of Lifetime movies alone.

showtaper, Fullbug, GLENN and 9 others like this.
  16. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The end of the diabolical 2006 remake of The Omen sees a car racing to a church outside London. Only it’s very clearly somewhere in Eastern Europe.

17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Unbelievably x2 Kubrick films

Full Metal Jacket - forgot to cover the UK road markings when doing the outdoor shots. At the end of the film, you can see the electric pylons from London Docklands

Eyes Wide Shut - The most unconvincing US streets at night scenes, clearly shot on a London backlot. It looked a bit like toy-town!

Sean and budwhite like this.
  18. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Major League II, which was supposed to take place in Cleveland around the time the Indians' new ballpark opened, but was filmed entirely in Baltimore. So folks got to see Cleveland's Inner Harbor.

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Lotsa D.C. movies are clearly not based in D.C. Especially if you see tall buildings.

20. First example I thought of. I recall this being pointed out a fair bit at the time, perhaps instigated by the distributors in order to give the movie a hip, ironic edge.

21. JozefK

The entire film feels wrong to me

brew ziggins and wayneklein like this.
  22. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

If you have lived in DC for any period, two of the biggest howlers are in "No Way Out": the Georgetown Metro Stop (one many had petitioned for, but the locals opposed), followed by Metro scenes that are clearly not part of the DC Metro system at all (it may have been Boston's, not sure.) I do like the many scenes of "Mountains" featured above, in so many locations; "The Battle of the Bugle" in the desert is an all-time classic, though.

C.

Jack Lord likes this.
  23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

In the movie Selena, we are told that this is the Astrodome.

Sorry, the Alamodome looks nothing like the Astrodome, inside or out.

[​IMG]

24. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

I've been to Ypsilanti many times, but I've yet to find those Marin County-like hills seen in Tucker: The Man and His Dream.

[​IMG]

25. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The [American] Office:

The streets of California substituting for Scranton, PA.

Yeah. No.

bpmd1962 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.