Iron Maiden Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 11, 2012.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

LOL

2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

A brand new album goes for $19.99 which is fine but $20 for poor remasters 21 years after they came out is just stupid. Though a lot of albums are now getting re-issued for $9.99 now though its mainly Greatest Hits albums and the Sony Essentials line-up.

john morris likes this.
  3. john morris

You want criminal?! How about some clown on Amazon.ca wanting $1124 for the NTSC disk of Doctor Who - Planet Of The Spiders. I know it's OOP but really any idiot can get the same PAL DVD off of Amazon.ca for $10.80.

You don't need to buy a multi-region player.
    If you have laptop with an optical drive, with HDMI output and a HD TV you already have one. Just download VLC player. Two minutes to download and have it up and running. It is really free. No expiry date either.

- CLICK VLC PLAYER
    - POP IN YOUR PAL DVD
    - CLICK "MEDIA" IN TOP LEFT
    - CLICK ON "DISKS"
    - IN SECONDS A SMALL WINDOW WILL
    APPEAR. CLICK "PLAY" AT BOTTOM RIGHT OF WINDOW.

SECONDS LATER THE DVD MENU WILL APPEAR. AND VLC PLAYER SKIPS WARNINGS, ADS AND BBC MESSAGES.
    - AND YOU CAN COPY BIT FOR BIT PERFECT ANY DVD WITH VLC PLAYER.
    IT HAS TO BE DONE IN REAL TIME.
    - ONCE YOU HIT PLAY. RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR MOUSE AND HIT "RECORD." IT WILL STOP AUTOMATICALLY AT END.
    - You can then transfer it to a USB Flash Drive which you can play through you Blu-rays or HD TV USB input.

And yet people will pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for OOP NTSC disks. They will put them out again. We are not talking about DCC of Eldroado here!
    Should those Tragic Remaster from 1998 be $12.99. Probably, but at least you can afford one.

porotikos likes this.
  4. AirJordanFan93

We have sellers like that on Amazon AU its stupid some of the prices the 3rd-party sellers on Amazon charge for things because its either rare or OOP.
    True, I know the 2001 Priest remasters aren't like either but the ones that have been reissued here are $9.99 at least which seems about right

john morris likes this.
  5. john morris

Get this. A few months ago the OOP NTSC DVD of Doctor Who - Talons of Wieng-Chiang were going for over $5500 CAN. Stupid doesn't even describe this!

6. AirJordanFan93

Who in their right mind is going to pay that. Amazon needs to do something to sort things like this out.

john morris likes this.
  7. john morris

Not meaning to push the tread into some other topic but we are talking about crazy prices for disk media. Agreed. Or the person that wanted $2000 for the complete 105 episodes of G-Men on Blu-ray (Uncut Jap version of Battle of The Planets) Only problem is in Japan it is available all over the place. It is and has never been OOP. Just not available as an import for the rest of the world. Just join Amazon.Japan. not the one for tourists...The real Amazon.Japan for the Japanese. No more then $150 tops.

I paid $85 for the limited 5000 CD of J5 Live In Japan. The price dropped dramatically after I bought it. You can get Steve's mastered DCC of Eldorado for $80 used on Amazon.ca. Only 5000 copies of that. And Walmart ain't putting out new copies for $11.99 any time soon. I could see Eldorado being $500 but not a DVD that is available on PAL for under $15 including shipping and handling.

8. john morris

Oh yes my audiophile friend! Someone will pay. Why not a PAL DVD? A good upconverting region free DVD that wouldn't destroy your disk collection is available through Amazon.ca for $130.
    That is much cheaper than:

Doctor Who
    Web Planet $729 OOP NTSC
    Planet of Giants $300 OOP NTSC
    The Time Meddler $300 OOP NTSC. (Recently dropped from $300 to $26. Maybe the guy came to his senses.)

But I came across I guy on line who didn't want the PAL DVD's because the cover inserts won't match his NTSC disks. It won't look right on his shelf. I am not kidding! I swear!!

Back to compact disks. Amazon wants $500 for a new copy of the Russel Hitchcock solo album. They sold at least 50 000 of those. Huh!?

9. AirJordanFan93

Why $500 is this being sold directly by Amazon or some 3rd-party seller trying to screw someone over. I have seen sellers do things like this on Amazon AU.

john morris likes this.
  10. john morris

I am not sure. I think it's a third party seller. And the prices are wrong. You can go to Ebay and get a used copy of the CD in question for like under $30 CAN.

And I have seen used copies of THE WEB PLANET GOING for $130 on Ebay. Whereas a used copy on Amazon.ca is always around $700 CAN. Although the used NTSC DVD on Ebay in this case came without case or insert. And yet on Amazon.ca when it indicates a DVD is sold without case or insert they drop the price $20 - $30. What gives?!

11. AirJordanFan93

eBay sellers seem to know how to actually price their items whereas Amazon users just seemingly charge whatever they feel like just for the hell of it.

john morris likes this.
  12. john morris

No argument there. And what's weird is they all can't agree. Or they obviously conflict with Amazon prices when they do have them.

For example: A while back some third party seller in the EU wanted $300 for the second season of Nurse Jackie on Blu-ray. But Amazon.ca asked for $35. It's bizarre!

13. AirJordanFan93

Who is going to take the 3rd-party seller when Amazon sells it directly for much, much cheaper.

14. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Ok, that's news to me and makes the situation a bit more understandable then before. Still, from a commercial point of view, I can't imagine Maiden wouldn't make quite some money with it.
    Besides, re-editing it would open up the possibilities of giving the fans unreleased material and therefore even more reasons to buy the damn thing!:agree:

15. obi

obi Forum Resident

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Why would anyone think you are kidding? Who wants DVDs that don't match??

17. AirJordanFan93

It is though the new remasters sell for the same price.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

obi likes this.
  19. AirJordanFan93

I can assure you that they don't stock the 1995 Castle discs and that they would be the 1998 remasters. Pretty much any Iron Maiden disc you come across here are the 98 remasters and it is very rare you will find anything that pre-dates those. I have seen the odd old EMI discs though.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It does seem unlikely that they have the 2 CD Castle sets, but the tracklists are for the 2 CD Castle sets.

21. john morris

22. john morris

Amazon.ca is selling the Castle double set of Number Of The Beast for $115 CAN. And it don't get much better than that!

Well....I do have better. The joke is I seemed to have erased the raw 24/192 file....Either that or it's hiding in my hard drive.

23. john morris

Bruce and the boys live in England. Although the video was released all over the world, England was were it was edited and mixed. Europe back in the 1985 was PAL 625. Of course our version in North America was NTSC 525. Remixing is easy because of time code. But to re-edit and give us the whole show with all of those 80's style fast cuts is well....mmmm.... A different thing altogether. But all the rushes should still exist.

They could give a complete shows for:
    Long Beach, Polland, etc. But that is a lot of work. And Maiden is too busy touring.

Oh and ahhh bands and record company scum * seem to be out of touch with it's consumer base....

* A shout to my 2nd cousin who works at Universal. And who was involved in lying to the public about the Universal Vault fire of 2008 (half a million masters lost!!)
    No Xmas card for you.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  24. john morris

The Castles are not remasters or are they?
    I heard that they are just a repackaging of the original CDs on a new label (which is good enough for me).

25. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

The Castle 2-CD's are the original pressings.
    Disc 1 has the album, disc 2 has their relative's single's B-sides and some multimedia-stuff in QuickTime format.

patient_ot, JediJoker and sathvyre like this.