Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Interesting about Instant Karma! being recorded about the same time as Every Night. Immediately gets me thinking what would go on a Lennon McCartney album from that period? Every Night, Man We Was Lonely, That Would Be Something, Junk, Maybe I'm Amazed and John contributions like Instant Karma! and we're already halfway there to a classic.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

True
    Lot s of great songs delivered at the tine

3. Bemagnus

Rojo likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

5. Bemagnus

6. Bemagnus

Next one
    Hot as sun/glasses
    IMO a very nice instrumental. Makes me happy
    This time a nice melody and full arrangement. The glasses bit and snippet of suicide goes to show the free-spirited approach Paul had while making this music

7. Bemagnus

This slightly Ska-infected version of Hot as sun shows how strong this song actually is

joy stinson and gja586 like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Valentine Day - 4/5
    Every Night - 5/5
    Hot As Sun/Glasses 4/5

The MEZ and Bemagnus like this.
  9. Bemagnus

You seem to like them.
    :)

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I am a bit nostalgic for this record and it's vibe. That said, I rarely play it, strangely.

Bemagnus likes this.
  11. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

I read some speculation that the album was initially going to be fully experimental / throwaway with Paul saving the more classic material like Every Night and Maybe I'm Amazed for the potential next Beatles release. Perhaps hearing Instant Karma made him realise this wasn't going to happen now John was releasing a single of this quality under his own name.

Wil1972, supermd, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  12. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

5/5. Tho there is no previous recording of this song, it is great to know that Paul was reaching back to his earliest compositional work for this breezy instro, melded into an atmospheric sonic collage.

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Bingo. Instant Karma influenced Paul's direction on McCartney.

Sad, actually, that they were so far, yet so close. Instant Karma and Every Night would've been fabulous Beatles songs.

supermd, crossroads69, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I love this one. It sounds especially good in the summer I think!

It’s a brilliant little instrumental. It’s really amazing to keep remembering he’s playing everything himself. I love how it transitions from sunny to a bit spooky, complete with a little snippet of “Suicide” thrown in. Brilliant. 5/5.

The MEZ, supermd, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  15. Bemagnus

And I thought I was the only one enjoying this one
    :)

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Nope you’re not alone!

JDeanB and Bemagnus like this.
  17. Bemagnus

There is a eternal debate which McCartney is the best in the studio. The one-band doing all-or almost everything himself or being surrounded with other musicians.
    Personally I enjoy both but on occasion the do it all yourself really creates magic. Stuff like Hot as sun gives an insight into Paul’s musical mind that is unique. There seems to be no boundaries mixing the simplest happy go lucky melodies with weird sounds and clips, it just happen. One must also be aware that this do it all-approach was rare 1970. Only very few made similar things and to my knowledge Paul was the first major artist trying this way of recording. Technology at the time made these sort of things more difficult and time-consuming than today. It takes a considerable musical talent to create the sounds on Hot as sun/glasses. Personally I find it amazing and true sign of genius
    What others call patchy and unfinished I name impressionistic and experimental. That s one of the reasons much of the music discussed here have aged far better than much of the more worked-on stuff from this era.

18. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

This was the first McCartney post-Beatles album I bought'. Knowing nothing about it I was expecting a Beatles-sounding record so was surprised at a lot of what I heard. Simple but effective. I liked it from the first and still like it.

19. Bemagnus

The amazing thing -at least for me-is how well this stuff has stood the test of time. I can t say I listen all that often to this stuff but when I do it always puts me in a good mood. After 49 years living with this stuff it s weird how much I still enjoy it.

20. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

Lovely Linda 3/5
    That Would Be Something 5/5
    Valentine Day 4/5
    Every Night 5/5
    Hot as Sun/Glasses 4/5

Love this album. I think it is Paul's least self-conscious album in that he just seems to be making music for himself and maybe Linda. The critical reception I think would color everything he would do going forward. I think that he would make a couple better albums going forward, but never one as personal. The critics blew it or weren't ready for it at the time. I think Eno's Another Green World (a critical darling), was very much influenced by this. The minimalist lyrics alternating with the instrumental pieces, are in my opinion, more groundbreaking/influential than POB. The world wasn't ready for this on in 1970. At least not from Paul.

BellaLuna, The MEZ, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Agree with every word. It was a groundbreaking way for a major artist to make music and the album is absolutely a deeply personal album

JDeanB likes this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Throw in few of the ' Plastic Ono Band ' and a couple from 'All Things..' and there's s your new (classic) Beatles album.

23. Wildest cat from montana

So..play it. Right now.

24. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

And just add It Don’t Come Easy.

25. Wildest cat from montana

It does have a timeless quality to it. It sounds fresh.And we all know that 's not the case for all his albums as we'll be seeing here later.

Bemagnus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.