Monty Python's 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raf, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

[​IMG]

2. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

My argument would be that it wasn't the silly walks in and of themselves that were funny, but the idea that there would be a ministry devoted to them. And, the silly walking is done in a context where it's least appropriate, out in the street with everybody else walking normally. But I've gotten to the age where I really find HANCOCK and STEPTOE AND SON funnier than Python.

3. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

It worked, like, the first time I saw it. Still amusing, though the surprise of it fizzles.

Cleese re-created the silly walk on the Phil Donahue Show-- without being seen! He walked off camera and all we saw was Jamie Lee Curtis fake-laughing and pointing. That was funnier to me than actually seeing it performed, yet, again.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ive seen Steptoe a few times and Rising Damp once. Those are both probably as funny as Python.

Python had something else. They could virtually do anything.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

When I watched it for the first time when I was 11 I thought it was hysterically funny on one level, but as an adult it is hysterically funny on a whole other level. I find that I pick up new details in skits even now, forty years after I have first seen them. It's satire on a completely gonzo level. And it's also a buncha over-educated middle class blokes having fun in the intellectual sandbox. And for fans, it's a sort of shared culture and language. I have a friend of many years who's a fellow Python fan, and I can throw out a line of Python at any time and he'll laugh at it, and get why I picked THAT one. :laugh:

6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

All right..but apart form the restored video and animation,added censored bits,unseen outtakes,books covering episodes,rare promo films all in a single box what have the Romans ever done for us?

davenav, Big Pasi, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  7. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Wait till Biggus Dickus hears of this.

8. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Yes, PYTHON were the descendants of THE GOON SHOW and also learned from Marty Feldman. STEPTOE was a different kind of comedy.

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I hope this is kept throughout the restoration and captions have been needed to be redone are made to match the original and not straightened. That's an issue with the Dr Who restorations where they make all the captions digitally perfect when if you look at material from the era (closing credits of The Two Ronnies for example) captions and credits never looked perfectly straight and sometimes were slightly warped even (see Two Ronnies again).

10. cloggedmind

Died out?

11. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Pretty sure there are still Romans.

cloggedmind likes this.
  12. cloggedmind

Not today, sir, no. The van broke down.

13. cloggedmind

Sometimes, like in Royal Episode 13 from the Sony set, the fix still has a problem. If these images work, you'll see the difference:
    NTSC dvd
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/wTcEWMmP1bP1y6Vs6
    Sony PAL (notably converted from NTSC)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/4GdQRTMVrzJJKj2H6
    It looks just that good in motion, too. Was it worth the bother?
    [​IMG]

goodiesguy likes this.
  14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

As the new sets are coming from the original PAL quad tapes, they at least won't have half of the caption cut off by the zoom necessitated by the NTSC conversion!

goodiesguy and cloggedmind like this.
  15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'll share a small revelation that is possibly embarrassing.

Decades ago, I read a fascinating book about the Mayan culture. Then, on our honeymoon in Cancun, my wife and I took a bus trip to Chichen Itza. While the bus was going through a small town, I looked at the people walking by and realized: they're Mayans! We think that when a grand civilization crumbles, the people magically disappear.

Recently:
    1) a woman working at our local market had a name something like Xichotl. I asked her if it's a Mayan name, and she said yes;
    2) on a recent bus trip to some different Mayan ruins, many of the street signs showed Mayan place names, and the tour guide told us that people still sometimes speak Mayan in the area. In fact, there's a movement to ensure that the culture (including language, crafts, etc.) is not lost.

You may feel free to laugh at my expense.

Laservampire and cloggedmind like this.
  16. Laservampire

Most exciting news in the meantime: the BFI "Do Not Adjust Your Set" and "At Last The 1948 Show" DVDs are finished and shipping!

cloggedmind likes this.
  17. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I think the original Romans were Latins (??). I assume that by the end of empire they were pretty much combined with the other (tribes?) of the region.

18. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

In the early 80s in the US, the whole episode was taken from the old flickery analog NTSC transfer, and it was really weird seeing it that again(all the other episodes were in more sophisticated conversions by then).

cloggedmind likes this.
  19. Laservampire

I watched the Live At Aspen special recently and it's hilarious to see how bad the tapes used for the Flying Circus clips are.

cloggedmind and longdist01 like this.
  20. cloggedmind

The tapes Mtv had in the 80's were in better shape!

On the subject of reunion specials, where can one find the complete Parrot Sketch Not Included with the Satanists bit intact? My tape of the British OB has long since departed.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It is a 'late' tape? It has ceased to be?

cloggedmind likes this.
  22. Laservampire

[​IMG]

This should hold me over nicely until November....

23. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The question still lingers as to whether Python was created in response to Benny Hill moving to Thames (outside of their destroying the videotape masters of his last three specials of 1968 plus paying his agent Richard Stone all repeat fees). Consider:
    - When the BBC approached Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin, Thames were still interested in future series of Do Not Adjust Your Set, but partly as a consequence of signing Hill (and other deals with "high profile" personalities, and returning shows) plus the "first come, first served" policy of assigning studio time for a season, the three were left in limbo for potentially another year or more in that regard.
    - The filmed segments of the first two series' of Python were lensed by James Balfour - who had done likewise for Hill's shows during the last years of his BBC run.
    - None of the supporting players (especially Carol Cleveland) or extras (whether credited or uncredited) were clients of Richard Stone.

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

25. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I'm inclined to doubt it. PYTHON was aimed at a very different audience than Benny Hill. According to BBC producer Barry Took, he was looking for the next big thing after the Marty Feldman series, and naturally he thought of the writer/performers who'd been associated with Feldman on THE FROST REPORT and 1948 SHOW. BBC also wanted to give John Cleese his own show. And Benny Hill was a peak viewing hour show, unlike Python. Likelier the BBC would have used a mainstream star like Frankie Howerd to replace Hill. It's likelier that Morecambe and Wise was BBC's replacement for Hill.

goodiesguy and NaturalD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.