Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Not my point at all.

2. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

True, there is nothing like Paperback Writer in mono. Also the vocals are in the intro have too much reverb in Giles' mix. Not well done, I think

Onder, Man at C&A, bherbert and 2 others like this.
  3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Not what I am already familiar with? This makes no sense.
    Can't answer that one for you.
    I wasn't criticizing you for choosing not to participate.
    Your perception of any irony here is mostly a figment of your imagination, something that would soon become clear if you were to attempt to explain it.

NumberEight likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This conversation, the reason for defending this conversation and the shared understanding of any points we may have tried to settle, are all too futile to continue. Maybe I'll see you once this thread finally has a reason to exist, in about two weeks.

For now I just don't have the time or patience for debating on how many angels "can" dance on the head of a pin. Or how many monitor speakers Magic Alex can mount in the lining of hi white coat.

5. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Parametric equalizers and other tricks you can do with ProTools allow you to isolate any frequency on any (or all) track(s). Lowering the guitars is child's play with modern recording equipment.

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think it’s a nice tradition we have here; anticipating, debating and generally getting excited about a remastered or remixed Beatles-product! I always find it striking how quiet it gets when the actual product is delivered...this may be the nicest part! If you don’t like it; just don’t get involved. And if you turn up in about two weeks when it slows down a bit.....

John Bliss, audiotom, hidlive and 3 others like this.
  7. thrivingonariff

On that, we are in complete agreement.

8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

This is just like all the pundits before the big game, just some fun. I wonder who they have for the half time concert..

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I always find it striking how many people "just got it"/"listening to it now"/"just opened it"...and STILL, despite having time to tell us this, always seem to have some reason they can't just stick it into a player and give us a heads-up; either they're on their way to Mah-jong, or they're at work but their office system they've bragged about in other threads for three years is coming down with sunspots, or they promised to take their child to the latest "Fast & Furious" movie and somehow can't be bother to commit themselves to actual first impressions, despite going to get the mail, taking the time to open the package, and even sniffing the shrink wrap. This is what amazes me: months and months of unverified opinions, but, shove the actual product under their noses and ask, "well...?"...and suddenly they need to go test out this new hair conditioner for their politics blog, pronto! :laugh:

WilliamWes, John Bliss and audiotom like this.
  10. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Translation: They don't really have it. ;-)

nasa09 likes this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Right, because nobody on this forum ever shares their opinions about the newly released Beatles product they just listened to.... :crazy:

12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I am somewhat saddened about the remixed 'Something'. "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" has never been more apropos as in this instance. Changed but not improved, imo ~ bias noted. The string arrangement is no longer impeccable, now imperious. And I fear the dynamic range overall has suffered. I won't go as far as to say I'm uninterested, in fact I still plan on buying this, but my hopes for the main album tracks aren't high today.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The remix, will be something I listen to now and again, if the other two are anything to go by, but it will not replace for me the original. It is, as always, the outtakes, demos etc that are what brings me to the table, I have always been interested in the genesis of a song, love seeing it go from acoustic demo to fully fledged final track.

14. thrivingonariff

Mirabile dictu, someone's actually heard this!

hidlive and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

A few years back - on a thread for another 50th Anniversary edition - someone or someones outlined the forum timeline and the behavior accompanying such unfolding of events (maybe it wasn't even a Beatles release). I can't find it in a search, but it went something like this:

Rumors, insider rumors, pre-announcement anticipation ('They always announce on the ___ of the month'), guessing the number of discs/contents, number of discs is revealed, actual announcement, track listing revealed, plus some artwork and edition permutations, 'I can live without the deluxe, in fact, I'm thinking I'll just stream and buy the physical product later', going over history of tracks/sessions/previously available variations/'Lewisohn says', 'preordered'/'the price should come down'/'take my money', a few tracks pre-released to bait/hook the consumer, jumping on any news ('this changes everything'), rehashings of Beatles history up to the point of the original year of the recording and release of the particular album, pointless flame wars over nothing in order to kill time (trousers), taking the high road on a high horse - 'I'll come back in a few weeks when we can actually talk about the release', actual release time imminent, first unboxing videos are posted and home photos of preorders that got shipped too early, first reactions to full release, 'Giles has done it again, this is now my go-to version of this album', 'I hate Giles, but the packaging is nice, and I like the outtakes - a lot', fights over the merits and demerits of Giles' knob twisting, favorites are raved about, songs are identified that are 'absolutely ruined', making of playlists of favorites, lamenting which edition, 'I should have ordered the vinyls when the price wasn't outrageous, two copies', hopes for future Beatles releases, 'maybe this will spur them to re-press the Mono LP box', looking to the next release, 'I can't wait for Let It Be to get this treatment', and hoping it never ends, 'What about Revolver and Rubber Soul? Those are the two Lps that need remixing the most!'...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

For fragments, they made it work phenomenally.

17. vman

vman Forum Resident

John on piano george on guitar paul on bass billy on organ. Obvious-done.

18. vman

vman Forum Resident

why is there confusion. paul is on bass

Lownote30 likes this.
  19. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Abbey Bloody Road, that's what this thread is all about.

So.

I have something to say about Abbey Bloody Road. I can't stop playing the feckin' thing. 5 times consecutively today, at least 3/4 times every day for the past two weeks!

So, if I say Giles has done a good job with the remix I'll be correct because I know the bloody album inside out.

If he's done a not so good job with the remix, I'll say nothing, I don't do negative. I'll just go back to playing the original album and say how much I love it.

20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Absolutely, it’s what makes me buy the sets as well, Why ive always liked Anthologies, really enjoy the studio chatter hearing how the tracks are created.

marklamb likes this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I don't really listen to the remixes but I get these Beatles sets for the surround option and nice book. Other than Bob Dylan and The Beatles I have zero interest in outtakes of other artists but find with these two that I need everything.

Off topic: I just put on the 2009 Abbey Road CD and it skips during "I Want You", guess I will pick up a new copy of that too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    boggs and Lewisboogie like this.
  22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

The remixes are often interesting, sometimes revelatory -- but they're basically just a sometimes intriguing option for my listening pleasure.

The bottom line, for me: We now have a degree of access to an archive of recordings that had seemed unattainable a mere 25 years past. I try to remind myself of this when I'm listening to, let's say, Strawberry Fields Forever take 1.

It's a wonderful thing.

23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

That question/conversation starts and ends with "Get Back"...….a bona fide kick ass rocker by the greatest band ever...…..written by the man with the midas touch!

The Band likes this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Get Off...……………..oh no that was John

25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Many nursery rhymes are dark and sinister when you look at them closely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.